Guest Viva Alonso

Ferrari - the team, the car the engine, the excuses

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

For all things related to Ferrari....

Montezemolo speaks:                 http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/montezemolo-corriere-della-sera-we-work-ferrari-fans

“I’ve been around in F1 for quite a while, since the Seventies, so I don’t envy anyone anything. With the current regulations favouring aerodynamics, Red Bull was clever in getting a great designer, Adrian Newey, to get the most out of all aspects of the regulations. I will digress: this aspect of the rules is, in my opinion, a mistake and therefore needs changing. Luckily, the hoped for changes are coming. We don’t make drinks and I say that with all possible respect for those who make drinks, we are not a sponsor, but we design and build cars of the very highest order. We will stay in F1 as long as it can be considered a test bed for advanced research, the highest technology and worthwhile for a great company like Ferrari, which is known and appreciated around the world. Formula 1 also has to be a clean sport without any of the monkey business we have had to put up with in recent years.

From next season, we will have a completely different F1, finally less dependent on aerodynamics. I build cars not planes. We will finally have testing again and not a farce like what we saw this year with one team doing illegal testing without even paying the right penalty for it. In this case, I would have expected more clarity and courage from the FIA. On the other hand, the benefits gained by the team that carried out the secret banned testing are watched by everyone: before then, it had not won a single grand prix, then after the test it won three out of five races. These are the sort of serious incidents that affect F1’s credibility and alter the championship.”

As to the future of the highest category of motorsport, Montezemolo repeated well known stances: “Sooner or later a generational change always occurs. It’s not too long until we reach the post-Ecclestone era for reasons of statistics. As for the rest, I don’t want to talk about it. We will have to prepare for a new cycle, capable of tackling the urgent matters and the need for a new F1. I believe the management of this sport, which let’s not forget is not just a show, should be entrusted to a group of men open to new ideas, who know about racing but also about marketing and communications and are sensitive to the demands of the fans, those who come to the circuits and therefore pay for the tickets and those who watch on TV, while being able to involve the sponsors and not alienate them. But be careful, I don’t want to have discussions with Ecclestone, I have had some in the recent past, because he was too talkative on the subject of Ferrari, but surprisingly silent on the subject of the illegal tests carried out by Mercedes. I know Bernie’s strengths and weaknesses, but let’s be very clear on one point, no one else will ever do for Formula 1 what Ecclestone has done.”

Inevitably, the subject of tyre cropped up and their ever more important role. “It’s true, we are a bit too dependent on the tyres, however at the same time, one must recognise that Pirelli has shown great courage and ability and, as Italians we must feel proud of the efforts of one of our great companies in F1. No polemics, but I have only pointed out that I don’t feel it’s right to change the type of tyre at the midpoint of the season, for cars designed and developed with different tyres, which is another element that contributes to organising the hierarchy. And who knows if for next season, for which studies and preparation are already underway, there could not be further changes. We need clarity.”

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

In the above article Motezemelo touches on building and developing of engines and the aero dominant world of F1 we find ourselves in.

Aerodynamics are mostly if not completely irrelevant for everyday commuter cars which happens to be what the bulk of the driving population of the planet uses. It's nice to see what they do with hypercars, but how many people can actually afford a hypercar?

Formula Aero as I like to call it, has created an ungodly amount of problems with the sport as a whole. It's neither interesting nor relevant to most fans. The lack of on-track action that we saw increasing over the years was a direct result of the idiocy of the aero-dominate focus of F1. How else do you explain a sport that continues relying on the antiquated and idiotic flat bottom rule of 1983? All of the aerodynamic woes stem out of that garbage rule.

This then resulted in F1 being “forced” to look at artificial ways to spice up the racing ie DRS

Engines should matter in F1 as that has always been one of the main proponents that drives manufacturer interest in motorsport. Yet they do not matter, and have not mattered for 5 years now. Restricting development was another one of those short-sighted moves that served no purpose at all.

Remember, Enzo Ferrari used to say: 'Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines.'

In another era, you used to be able to develop the engines.

They are allowed to develop engines in 2013 i.e. the ones they're going to use from next year. It means Ferrari might be able to design a chassis that is aerodynamically inferior to Newey's again, and still win, but only if their engine is better than Renault's. LdiM says that he´s satisfied that in 2014 with the V6 engines aerodynamics no longer play that big part in F1. Could this mean that Ferrari is confident about their development of V6?

“We don’t make drinks and I say that with all possible respect for those who make drinks, we are not a sponsor, but we design and build cars of the very highest order. I build cars not planes.”

(Some of the above taken from other forums I frequent)

Edited by Viva Alonso

vlagman    992

Inevitably, the subject of tyre cropped up and their ever more important role. “It’s true, we are a bit too dependent on the tyres, however at the same time, one must recognise that Pirelli has shown great courage and ability and, as Italians we must feel proud of the efforts of one of our great companies in F1. No polemics, but I have only pointed out that I don’t feel it’s right to change the type of tyre at the midpoint of the season, for cars designed and developed with different tyres, which is another element that contributes to organising the hierarchy. And who knows if for next season, for which studies and preparation are already underway, there could not be further changes. We need clarity.”

That was my argument for ages. The tyre being dangerous was utter BS. It was safer, IMO. They did not explode in the way that they did at Silverstone. They delaminated but they did not explode and had pieces flying dangerously all over the place. The only ones who complained about the flippin tyres were those who could not get their cars to "work with" the tyres. The so-called danger was a smoke-screen and a BS story. The first time that we had a dangerous situation was at Silverstone, after they (Pirelli) were forced, for the umpteenth time, to fiddle with the components of the tyre, and coincidently it was Alonso who was in the firing line behind an exploding tyre. In addition, the crap at Silverstone was cause mainly because the teams pushed the limits and then conveniently blamed the tyres again.

They should have changed the "rules" about the tyres first and then started with the construction of the tyres, but that would not have suited Bernie's latest bedmate, Honest Horner, and Merc, etc. They should have told the teams that they will only look at the construction of the tyres after the teams started implementing the parameter, i.e camber settings, tyre pressure, not swapping around the rear tyres, etc. Only if that failed, should they have tampered with the tyres, because by then it would have been clear that it the issue was with the tyres. Pirelli should also not have waited until Silverstone to "expose" the teams in their "misuse" of the tyres and parameters. It should have been done straight after Australia.

vlagman    992

Party spanne kla oor tyres en ander spanne kla oor  current regulations favouring aerodynamics. 

Dit is die verskil. Die span wat nou kla oor die " current regulations favouring aerodynamics" het hulle kar en die " current regulations favouring aerodynamics" laat werk. Hulle het nie gewag totdat hulle gesien het dat hulle kar nie werk nie, en toe 'n verskoning uitgedink nie.

DbDraad    660

Dit is die verskil. Die span wat nou kla oor die " current regulations favouring aerodynamics" het hulle kar en die " current regulations favouring aerodynamics" laat werk. Hulle het nie gewag totdat hulle gesien het dat hulle kar nie werk nie, en toe 'n verskoning uitgedink nie.

Hulle kar werk nogal nie so goed as wat jy dink nie.

Owen Meany    559

Dit is waar jy die fout maak Vlagman.  Die span wat kla oor die tyres loop voor ten spyte van hul klagtes oor die tyres. 

Edited by Owen Meany

vlagman    992

Hulle kar werk nogal nie so goed as wat jy dink nie.

Dit is juis die punt. Hulle het hulle kar aangepas om van die begin af met die bande te werk en toe gooi party kinders hulle speelgoed uit die cot uit en toe word die bande aangepas om vir hulle karre te werk. Net na die Australiese GP het Christiam Horner al gese hulle moet teruggaan na die 2012 bande toe, en dit is feitlik presies wat nou gebeur het.

Dit is waar jy die fout maak Vlagman.  Die span wat kla oor die tyres loop voor ten spyte van hul klagtes oor die tyres. 

Hulle loop onder andere voor sedert daar met die bande gepeuter was. Maar toemaar, ek verwag nie dat jy dit graag sal wil insien nie.

Owen Meany    559

Dit is juis die punt. Hulle het hulle kar aangepas om van die begin af met die bande te werk en toe gooi party kinders hulle speelgoed uit die cot uit en toe word die bande aangepas om vir hulle karre te werk. Net na die Australiese GP het Christiam Horner al gese hulle moet teruggaan na die 2012 bande toe, en dit is feitlik presies wat nou gebeur het.

Hulle loop onder andere voor sedert daar met die bande gepeuter was. Maar toemaar, ek verwag nie dat jy dit graag sal wil insien nie.

Vettel ooreers van die begin van die seisoen af. Punt.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

With a good showing in the last race at Spa one would think that the Ferrari is now possibly the 2nd best car...

This is unfortunately not true. With Montreal, Spa and Monza the tracks suits our car better, does not mean it suits us best. the race after Monza in Singapore will be the indicator if we have a chance of taking the WDC away from Vettel.

There is rumors of an decent update in Singapore, some mention has been made of a new exhaust hence the decision to do another straight line test to test and refine it ( I believe the test is next week?)

So contrary to some other posts that insisted that Ferrari has given up on the 2013 and all resources is focused on the 2014 car its clear they are still working and developing this years car.

Some good news for the Tifosi is that James Allison will be starting on Monday in Maranello!!!! If he can just introduce 1 good idea / trick it can turn the season around. 

With Pat starting this will free Pat Fry and Coenie Oosthuizen up to focus on aerodynamics with James looking after Chassis.

The reality is that should this update not give the expected performance gain then I will expect Ferrari to focus all effort on 2014 car and also decide then on Massa's replacement most likely Kimi. (Im hoping its Hulk or Bianchi)

Guest Hawkeye   
Guest Hawkeye

Sowaar?

Sowaar?

Nee, nooit!  dis ook hoekom hy amper 50 punte agter almal is die sleg moer ..clueless.gif

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Sauber is hoping to finalise a fresh Formula 1 engine contract with Ferrari before next week's Italian Grand Prix.

Discussions between the two parties have been ongoing for several months, but completing a deal was dependent on Sauber shoring up its financial situation.

In the wake of Sauber agreeing a tie-up with a trio of Russian companies, its Ferrari talks are now nearing a conclusion.

Ferrari has already announced that it will be supplying customer engines to Marussia from 2014.

MMMmmmm now let me start a  rumor......

Expect part of the engine "deal" is a straight swop between Massa and Jules Bianchi plus a massive discount on engines!!!!

Guest UfraX   
Guest UfraX

Shocking that a premier car manufacturer like Ferrari will acknowledge the fact they are not on a design and technology par with a team like Red Bull!   What does that say about the road going Ferraris?  

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

No, what does it say about road-going Ferrari's??? .... this will be interesting! :36_11_13:

Guest UfraX   
Guest UfraX

That Ferrari is not able to meet the ultimate in aerodynamic technology compared to it competitors like Porsche, Audi, McLaren, etc?   If they are not able to 'make it' in F1 technology, then their road car aero technology will also be suspect?

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

That Ferrari is not able to meet the ultimate in aerodynamic technology compared to it competitors like Porsche, Audi, McLaren, etc?   If they are not able to 'make it' in F1 technology, then their road car aero technology will also be suspect?

Firstly, quote the source where Ferrari said they cannot match RBR's "design and technology" I must have missed the article?

Secondly, having said the above re Ferrari vs RBR, how in the world can you now say "Ferrari is not able to meet the ultimate in aerodynamic technology compared to it competitors like Porsche, Audi, McLaren, etc" ??? Source?

As they as far as I know are not in racing each other in F1 or for that matter in any series anywhere in the world? so how did you manage to "compare" them to state that Ferrari is "not able to meet" technology compared to others??

Seriously Ufrax?

Guest UfraX   
Guest UfraX

Do not be so one-eyed!   Luca said he is glad aerodynamics will play less of a role in F1 next year with the focus will shift  towards the drivetrain and away from aerodynamics.   He said the current rules favour aerodynamics and that, in his opinion, is a mistake.   Red Bull, according to him, has been clever in getting a good aerodynamic designer to get the most out of the current rules.   With the shift towards the mechanical side in 2014, he hopes the focus will shift to the strong points of Ferrari.

Very funny though, is that he reckons Ferrari is not a drinks manufacturer going racing, but a manufacturer of cars and they will stay in F1 as long as it is a test bed for advanced research and technology.   Formula 1 has to be a clean sport without any of the monkey business we have had to put up with in recent years, he says..........and so he rants on.   All this in an interview with Corriere dell sera, an Italian newspaper.

If you read this thing right, he in effect says that a motor car manufacturer is playing second fiddle to a team like Red Bull who buy the proper technology to go racing, gets beaten buy the drinks manufacturer basically because of aerodymics and thereby basically admitting that Ferrari cannot match the aerodynamic technology of Red Bull!   How do you want to read this then?   Are the Ferrari manufacturer's road car's aerodynamics perfect, or obviously flawed by their inability to get to grips with it?   Perhaps they should contract Red Bull's designing team to design their road cars also?  Teams like McLaren, Audi and Porsche do not seem to have the same problem?

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

James Allison's arrival at Ferrari should provide an instant boost to the team, reckons director of engineering Pat Fry.

Following a spell of gardening leave from his previous Lotus team, Allison started work at Ferrari this week as its new chassis technical director.

Fry, who was previously overall technical director, believes his change of role and the arrival of Allison is a huge positive as it frees him up to work on areas that will be more beneficial to the Maranello outfit.

"I think getting James on board is a great asset for us, as he is a top bloke," said Fry, who joined Ferrari from McLaren in 2010.

"In reality there is a huge amount of work to do; a change in the organisation, and the way we run the company.

"For me it is good because I will have more time to concentrate on what will make the car quick.

"The two of us we will divide the work up, and there will be more balance, so it will really help."

vlagman    992

They should get Ufrax. If you want someone who knows his shit, he is your man. Check how well he diagnosed Lewis' down-force problems in Belgium.

Owen Meany    559

They should get Ufrax. If you want someone who knows his shit, he is your man. Check how well he diagnosed Lewis' down-force problems in Belgium.

Ek dog jy het hom op "ignore"?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    sharleen
    Newest Member
    sharleen