Sign in to follow this  
Guest Viva Alonso

Team Mate Battles.

Guest Jolly Joker   
Guest Jolly Joker

I dont know if I agree JJ...... Yes Lewis is better than Nico no doubt about that but I believe Nico is a lot closer match to lewis than some other team mates out there. its not as if Lewis finishes 30 sec or more in front of Nico.

Lets look at their stats, Lewis 7-9 in qualifying and Lewis 10-6 in the races .... that's pretty close..... way closer than (6-10 and 4-12) also a lot closer than (14-2 and 13-3)

Lets not forget Nico did VERY well (read schooled) against Schumi for 3 years.... I used to rate Nico a lot lower, he is now in my top 5 drivers.

Merc, Force India and Torro Rosso have team mates that is the best matched driver pairings ..... we thought last year we will have the best driver (closest matched) pairing at Ferrari, well that did not happen. 

I know what you mean. But when I say "no match" for him, I don't mean like Schumi/Rubens, Alonso/Fisi etc. Nico really needs everything to go for him to beat Lewis.

I'm sure that if it wasn't for Lewis' DNFs, the championship would have been done and dusted by now. Of the top of my head, it is only in Austria where Nico was the better driver the whole weekend. All the other races had "outside influences".

vlagman    988

I know what you mean. But when I say "no match" for him, I don't mean like Schumi/Rubens, Alonso/Fisi etc. Nico really needs everything to go for him to beat Lewis. Then again we have "seen" Lewis' shoulders drop when things didn't go perfectly for him as well. Remember the something (tears? :)) in his eyes at Monaco and the "let's pull out and save the engine issue?

I'm sure that if it wasn't for Lewis' DNFs, the championship would have been done and dusted by now. Of the top of my head, it is only in Austria where Nico was the better driver the whole weekend. All the other races had "outside influences".

Guest Jolly Joker   
Guest Jolly Joker

He was absolutely right to save the enjin on that occasion. No point in putting mileage on it when you're not going to score points. It's not rocket science.

Mata Hari    503

The pressure already started getting to him and that is why he did it imo. He was so hell bent on beating Lewis that he lost perspective and stuffed it up.

I've been a bit dissapointed/indifferent to Nico this year to be honest. At the start of the season I was sort of hoping he would do it. I thought he had his fair share of dog cars and he deserved a break. But the way he just "rolled over" when Lewis started turning up the heat suggested that maybe he is just not championship material. I would've liked it if he had some mongrel in him, especially when Lewis started playing mind games. Why did he just give his boring PR responses and not just hit back? Stand up for yourself man!

See we can agree.

I like a man with balls. Nico lost his. Lewis totally steamrolling him. Bit sad could have made a match of it. Maybe Ricci should go to Merc next year mmm???

vlagman    988

He was absolutely right to save the enjin on that occasion. No point in putting mileage on it when you're not going to score points. It's not rocket science.

I cannot quite remember which race it was but I am sure that he could have gone for a point or two. I could be wrong though. Point taken, in any case.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

http://formulaspy.com/features/team-mate-battles/team-mate-battles-united-states-gp-7568?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

In Formula One, the very first person you have to beat is your team-mate...

These are the rules to which the drivers are being judged.

Points system:

1 point is awarded to the driver who sets the faster lap.

3 points are awarded to the driver who performs best in qualifying.

5 points are awarded to the driver who performs best on raceday.

Williams:

Fastest Lap: Valtteri Bottas (9-8 to Valtteri Bottas) (after Round 17)
Qualifying: Valtteri Bottas (36-15 to Valtteri Bottas) (after Round 17)
Race: Felipe Massa (65-20 to Valtteri Bottas) (after Round 17)

Williams: 100-43 to Valtteri Bottas (Total After Round 17)

Force India:

Fastest Lap: Nico Hulkenberg (11-6 to Nico Hulkenberg) (after Round 17)
Qualifying: Sergio Perez (35-18 to Nico Hulkenberg) (after Round 17)
Race: Nico Hulkenberg (50-35 to Nico Hulkenberg) (after Round 17)

Force India: 94-59 to Nico Hulkenberg (Total After Round 17)

McLaren:

Fastest Lap: Jenson Button (9-8 to Kevin Magnussen) (after Round 17)
Qualifying: Jenson Button (30-21 to Kevin Magnussen) (after Round 17)
Race: Kevin Magnussen (60-25 to Jenson Button) (after Round 17)

McLaren: 92-61 to Jenson Button (Total After Round 17)

Ferrari:

Raikkonen’s issues with the F14 T were really highlighted during this weekend. Roughly on pace with Fernando through Friday and Saturday, it all fell apart on Sunday. While Fernando diced with Jenson Button, Daniel Ricciardo & Sebastian Vettel throughout his race, Kimi Raikkonen started reasonably but went backwards throughout his race.

While Raikkonen seemed able to match Fernando’s race pace at different points of the race, his consistency was appalling. Throughout the mid section of the race, he was usually 1 second a lap slower, but on some laps towards race end on fresher tyres, Raikkonen was a massive 3-4 seconds slower than Alonso. His fastest lap, set on soft tyres, was 1.4 seconds slower than Alonso’s, set on the same compound.

It is sad to see the Finn so utterly lost. With Alonso out of the picture for 2015, and a James Allison penned car under him once again, things must improve in 2015 or his career will come to an abrupt and inglorious end.

Fastest Lap: Fernando Alonso (12-5 to Fernando Alonso) (after Round 17)
Qualifying: Fernando Alonso (45-6 to Fernando Alonso) (after Round 17)
Race: Fernando Alonso (72.5 – 12.5 to Fernando Alonso) (after Round 17)

Ferrari: 120.5 – 23.5 to Fernando Alonso (Total After Round 15)

Mercedes:

Fastest Lap: Lewis Hamilton (10-7 to Lewis Hamilton) (after Round 17)
Qualifying: Nico Rosberg (27-24 to Nico Rosberg) (after Round 17)
Race: Lewis Hamilton (57.5 – 27.5 to Lewis Hamilton) (after Round 17)

Mercedes: 91.5 – 61.5 to Lewis Hamilton (Total After Round 17)

Red Bull:

Sebastian Vettel continued to complain about a ‘nervous’ Red Bull throughout the United States Grand Prix. Vettel’s race was dictated by poor pace on heavy tanks over the first half of the race. Watching onboard showed the reigning Champion struggling massively with understeer and poor grip, and he looked generally ill at ease, something that’s not a familiar sight. Vettel’s struggles are not as bad as future team-mate Raikkonen’s, but both drivers are running out of time to find out what it is exactly about the new regulations that are preventing them from performing at their best, with just two months to go until the 2015 Winter tests begin.

Fastest Lap: Sebastian Vettel (9-8 to Daniel Ricciardo) (after Round 17)
Qualifying: Daniel Ricciardo (30-21 to Daniel Ricciardo) (after Round 17)
Race: Daniel Ricciardo (70-15 to Daniel Ricciardo) (after Round 17)

Red Bull: 101-44 to Daniel Ricciardo (Total After Round 16)

Edited by Viva Alonso

vlagman    988

To assess a team mate battle there needs to be a battle to start of with. Otherwise it becomes a comparison between a driver and a passenger .....

Hawk_Eye    1,453

In Formula One, the very first person you have to beat is your team-mate...

And that is why team orders do not make sense in any race other than the very last race if there is a chance of the one driver ending better which will benefit the whole team, which means the guy who gives way also benefits in the greater scheme of things.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

2e7499a6-1b0e-43a8-9637-87a5c69ceabd_zps

How the intra-team battles look heading into the final qualifying session of the season

Edited by Viva Alonso

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Very interesting article .... its very long but its worth the read... (well to serious F1 fans anyway)

Enjoyed reading that, a different perspective on things.  Alonso always seems to find himself near or at the top no matter what metrics are used to evaluate a season, damn he's good.

https://f1metrics.wordpress.com/2014/11/26/2014-model-based-driver-rankings/

I challenge you to go read the whole article and not just your drivers write up... this is one of the best team mate comparisons I have seen (yes we might not agree with who is 1 and 2 but the overall analysis is well thought thru and extremely well researched and calculated.  

Edited by Viva Alonso

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Kimi Raikkonen says there were many reasons for the 106-point gap to Ferrari team-mate Fernando Alonso this season.

Raikkonen made a disappointing return to Maranello this year, with a fourth place finish in Belgium his best result over 19 races. The Ferrari was undoubtedly uncompetitive, but Raikkonen's struggle was also related to his driving style while Alonso managed to grind out results.

"There are many reasons [for finishing so far behind Alonso], but the end result is always the same," he told Top Gear. "It was a difficult year in many areas, and like I said if you're fighting for anything less than the championship it's not a very good year. As a team we had a very bad year.

"Myself... I was struggling more, but there's no point to go into the details too much. Obviously we have to work hard in the coming years to improve and put Ferrari at the front where it should be."

DbDraad    660

Was this thread started because Alonso wasn't able to beat Vettel on the drivers standings in the last 6 or 7 odd years? Get a measuring yard that suits the agenda? Just asking. Running for cover...

Guest Jolly Joker   
Guest Jolly Joker

Was this thread started because Alonso wasn't able to beat Vettel on the drivers standings in the last 6 or 7 odd years? Get a measuring yard that suits the agenda? Just asking. Running for cover...

Huh?

Most of the thread was about Hamilton/Rosberg. In fact, (sl)Owen was the only one who mentioned Vettel.

Edited by Jolly Joker

vlagman    988

Maybe you should revisit the two opening posts. Also note the dates of it.

Seb Vettel, Fernando Alonso, Nico Hulkenberg and Jules Bianchi conclusively had the beating of their team mates over a full season in 2013. (note these are the drivers I supported even before making it in F1 lol)

At four teams the contest between the two drivers was very one-sided. Mark Webber and Felipe Massa took a pasting from their respective team mates and both will be driving elsewhere next year.

Rookies  Guiterrez and Max Chilton had a tough year against their team mates. Gutierrez at least had the excuse of being up against a widely-tipped star of the future in Nico Hulkenberg, but Chilton was comprehensively blown away by a fellow rookie, Jules Bianchi.

Have look at the graphs http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/12/11/who-won-the-team-mate-battles-in-2013/

Its crazy how close Hamster and Rosberg is.

Autosport driver ratings for 2013

Vettel                8.6

Alonso              8.1

Hulkenberg    7.7

Kimi                  7.6

Hamilton           7.5

Grosjean          7.3

Rosberg           7.2

Webber            7.1

Button              7.1

Di Resta           7.0

Bianchi            7.0

Bottas               6.9

Ricciardo         6.8

Sutil                   6.7

Perez                6.6

Maldonando      6.4

JE Vergne         6.4

vd Garde          6.4

Massa              6.3

Pic                   6.3

Chilton             6.1

Gutierrez         5.9

Looks about right ...

Once again both Bianchi and Hulk rated highly ( watch Bianchi next year ... you heard it here first)

I have said before Webber is around 7 / 8th best so he is no fair comaprison to Vettel, same goes with Massa who is rated 4th last, from all the drivers his season was most disappointing.

RBR new "sensation" Ricciardo only outscored JEV by .4 ... yet he ended up in a RBR ??? many other experienced and young drivers rated higher ... ( RBR to realize they appointed the wrong driver when they loose the WCC next year .. once again you heard it here first lol)  Pay attention to this little mistake by Viva. :emot107:

Vettel as expected rated #1 and Alonso once again rated very highly in a car that is not one of top 3)

Kimi is rated highly as can be expected and his move to Ferrari alongside Alonso will be the highlight of next year ... Ferrari or Merc to take WCC .. once again you heard it here!) And he was spot-on with this one.

Grosjean to fail as a "team leader"

Edited by vlagman

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Haha Vlag .... ja dit was n mistakie .... ek het wel gou genoeg daarna gese ek het n fout gemaak en hom onderskat ... hyt toe geindig as een van my fav drivers laas jaar!

Kan ook nie altyd reg wees nie lol

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

... en durf ek dit se .. ekis ook beindruk met die Aussie!

En ek het hom voor die begin van die seisoen nie kans gegee om Vettel te kan wen nie....

Sien ek het dit admit lol

Edited by Viva Alonso

vlagman    988

Jip.... asook Hamilton .... en durf ek dit se .. ekis ook beindruk met die Aussie!

En ek het hom voor die begin van die seisoen nie kans gegee om Vettel te kan wen nie....

Goed om te sien Alonso se opinie interesseer jou... lol

Ek ook nie. Ek het dit net nie gesê nie. Aan die ander kant het ek ook nie gesê dat Vettel hom op sy moer sou gee nie. :36_11_6:

Owen Meany    559

Vettel has upper hand already

Sebastian Vettel already has the upper hand over friend and existing Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen.

That is the view of former F1 driver Mika Salo, as the new Ferrari pairing went head-to-head for the first time in Melbourne.

Salo's Finnish countryman Raikkonen was slightly behind Vettel's pace throughout the 2015 season opener, even though it was the German's first race in red.

"The car is good," former Ferrari driver Salo told the Finnish broadcaster MTV3, "but hopefully Kimi can get to the bottom of his problem."

On the other hand, Vettel's Ferrari debut has been smooth, as he kicked off his arrival at the fabled team by narrowly outqualifying Raikkonen and finishing 30 seconds behind the dominant Mercedes and on the podium on Sunday.

"It is surprising," Salo agreed. "There is not much testing and he is there immediately, but the best drivers can adapt to any car."

Guest Jolly Joker   
Guest Jolly Joker

Vettel has upper hand already

Sebastian Vettel already has the upper hand over friend and existing Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen.

That is the view of former F1 driver Mika Salo, as the new Ferrari pairing went head-to-head for the first time in Melbourne.

Salo's Finnish countryman Raikkonen was slightly behind Vettel's pace throughout the 2015 season opener, even though it was the German's first race in red.

"The car is good," former Ferrari driver Salo told the Finnish broadcaster MTV3, "but hopefully Kimi can get to the bottom of his problem."

On the other hand, Vettel's Ferrari debut has been smooth, as he kicked off his arrival at the fabled team by narrowly outqualifying Raikkonen and finishing 30 seconds behind the dominant Mercedes and on the podium on Sunday.

"It is surprising," Salo agreed. "There is not much testing and he is there immediately, but the best drivers can adapt to any car."

No. Just... no. After one race? :36_11_6:

Owen Meany    559

2015 Driver Standings

1LEWIS HAMILTONGBRMERCEDES345

2NICO ROSBERGGERMERCEDES272

3SEBASTIAN VETTELGERFERRARI251

4VALTTERI BOTTASFINWILLIAMS126

5KIMI RÄIKKÖNENFINFERRARI123

6FELIPE MASSABRAWILLIAMS117

7DANIIL KVYATRUSRED BULL RACING88

8DANIEL RICCIARDOAUSRED BULL RACING84

9SERGIO PEREZMEXFORCE INDIA68

10MAX VERSTAPPENNEDTORO ROSSO47

11ROMAIN GROSJEANFRALOTUS45

12NICO HULKENBERGGERFORCE INDIA44

13FELIPE NASRBRASAUBER27

14PASTOR MALDONADOVENLOTUS26

15CARLOS SAINZESPTORO ROSSO18

16JENSON BUTTONGBRMCLAREN16

17FERNANDO ALONSOESPMCLAREN11

18MARCUS ERICSSONSWESAUBER9

19ROBERTO MERHIESPMARUSSIA0

20ALEXANDER ROSSIUSAMARUSSIA0

21WILL STEVENSGBRMARUSSIA

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    sharleen
    Newest Member
    sharleen