J1M1

Rugby World Cup 2015

There you go!  Some nice "groundwork" done for the re-selection of Steyn for the geriatric Springbok Team for RWC 2015!  Seems he will be a shoo-in together with his 2007 (nearly 10 years ago) RWC mates!

Hendrik Cronjé: Daar’s weer skop in Morné Steyn se rugby

Deur Hendrik Cronjé Donderdag 04 Junie 2015 04:30

Morné Steyn. Gallo Images

Hy is beslis nie die Springbokke se beste losskakel nie, maar Morné Steyn het verlede Vrydag gewys hy is steeds Suid-Afrika se voorste stelskopper.

Dit lyk of die 30-jarige Steyn nou eers werklik op dreef in Frankryk kom nadat hy hom in 2013 by Stade Français aangesluit het.

Lees ook:

■ Duane Ver​meulen op pad Frankryk toe

■ Bulle se aanval soos​ ’n seer duim

Steyn se stelskopwerk was Vrydag eenvoudig uitmuntend in die sege van 38-15 oor Racing Métro in die Franse Top14-liga.

Hy het 28 punte behaal deur agt strafdoele en twee doelskoppe van oral op die veld vir ’n suksessyfer van 100% oor te klits.

Met dié vertoning het Steyn ’n duidelike boodskap aan die Bok-afrigter Heyneke Meyer gestuur dat hy oplaas sy selfvertroue herwin het.

Hy het lank daarmee gesukkel, aangesien hy nie gereeld Stade Français se beginspan kon haal.

Sy selfvertroue is ook geknou ná dáárdie strafskop wat hy nie verlede September in Perth teen die Wallabies uitgeskop het nie.

Die Bokke het dié toets met 23-24 verloor.

Baie kenners het dit toe as die oud-Bul se 59ste en laaste wedstryd in die Springbok-trui beskou.

Maar Steyn het duidelik planne om op sy puntetotaal van 688 in die Bok-trui te verbeter en sy land op vanjaar se Wêreldbeker-toernooi te verteenwoordig.

Hy kry Vrydag kans om sy Bok-aanspraak te verstewig wanneer sy klubspan teen Toulon in die een halfeindstryd van die Top14-liga te staan kom. Clermont en Toulouse speel Saterdag in die ander halfeindstryd.

Ironies genoeg kan Steyn Vrydag sy jarelange Bul-spanmaat Bakkies Botha se roemryke loopbaan met sy skopskoen vroeër laat eindig.

Botha sal ná die Top14-liga uittree.

Steyn se skopvertoning kan Meyer laat kopkrap oor sy Wêreldbeker-groep, aangesien Handré Pollard en Pat Lambie as die voorste aanspraakmakers op die Bokke se nr. 10-trui beskou word.

Albei bied die Bokke groter afwisseling met hul aanvallende spel en daar skort terselfdertyd nie veel met hul stelskopwerk nie.

Maar Meyer moet besluit wat Steyn se betroubare skopskoen op ’n wêreldverhoog soos die Wêreldbeker-toernooi vir die Bokke werd is. Op sy beste is Steyn een van die wêreld se voorste stelskoppers en behaal hy gemiddeld 11.66 punte per toets.

Van alle Suid-Afrikaners het slegs Jannie de Beer (13.92) ’n beter gemiddeld as Steyn.

Meyer moet ook besluit of hy die luuksheid het om hom as ’n versekeringspolis vir Lambie en Pollard saam te vat – veral omdat Johan Goosen, wat sy rugby vir Racing Métro speel, ook diepte verskaf sou daar ’n besering op heelagter wees.

Thing is that it is not only in the last game that Morne has been doing well. He has been on song for quite some time now. Granted, he has regained the starting birth for SF after  Jules Plisson got injured but it probably came at just the right time for him. 

I do find it strange though, that the writer of the article has mentioned Goosen but that he omitted that he, Goosen, seems to have fallen out of favour at Racing Metro. I have been searching for info on Goosen but nothing. Not even on RM's own website or elsewhere in the French media. The last mention of him was after a he missed a last minute sitter back in Apr, IIRC. Since then he has not even featured on the RM bench. 

In fact, Morne said in an interview, shortly before the previous RM/SF game, that he tweeted Goosen about the game and that Goosen has just reued that he would see him and that he would be on the bench for the game. Goosen eventually did not feature in that game at all. IIRC. 

I see Heyneke Meyer has also been talking to parkbench

Edited by taipan

I think we should brace ourselves for the team Heyneke Meyer is going to pick. It will be so predictable. Maybe 28 of the 33 players will be the old, boring guard, and the other 5 will be to keep the critics' mouths shut. But they'll never play, and the whole plan will back fire at the end.

HM wants us to believe that he is in control and doing al their homework, with regards to conditions, training facilities, mental toughness etc. But I think he and the rest of the South African Rugby Union forgets that the players need to be equipped with the right tools/skills to beat Ireland, England, Wales, France, Australia and the All Black, and they need to be trained in using those tools/skills correctly.

• Like 1

Redbuck..  We need to wait until the core is published then look at the average age and compare that to the averages of the rest of the top 6 teams.  At the current speculated rate we could just as well send John Allens "Legends" team after some "workshops".

I'd like to see the old days return with decent trials (proewe) so we can look at combinations and individual skills.  I really hope he chucks the idea of winning the SANZAR thing and uses the games to clearly identify talent and form.  But then again, we almost all believed Sepptic Bladder was a straight arrow, didn't we?

Bulls I can understand, but surely a few Lions?

Might be a Lion in the front row. The two Lions that should be there are Whitely and Faf. But we just know he is going to go for Spies at 8 and FdP, RP and Hougaardt at 9. 

Faf is the only guy IMO who can get our backs moving, without him, I think we will have no attacking drive. I cannot recall any player in some time who passes with such speed and precision. I think he will be a hand full.

But, I am with Rooibok on this, HM will go the conservative root.

When I look at how the Lions play rugby, it get me quite excited about the future of rugby in SA and it makes me realise, we do have those skills, but then we get coaches like HM and Gary Gold who play this boring kick shit game and that worries me.

In any way he will do what he wants and if the last 4 years have shown us one thing, he will select the wrong players.

Maybe the question we are all asking here is: "Does Heyneke Meyer have the "X factor"?

It seems to be high up on his priority list for choosing players............

• Like 1

Last night on Boots and All (it could have been Nick Mallet on Saturday), Mitch mentioned how Jantjies playes direct and that creates space for the outside players because the defenders can not move down the line as they do not know what Jantjies will be doing.

We have had the discussion before of how important the no 9 in todays game is. The vision needed and general decision making required. I have heard the saying before and believe that it is in part true, that if a player plays very well and shines, one must often look at the player on the inside doing the work in order for the outside player to shine. I am of the opinion that one of the contributing factors to Jantjies looking/performing so well is because of Faf on his inside.

Most of the set-up in South Africa with regards to our rugby looks retarded. Look at the parents next to the field at a Bulletjierugby game, listen to our commentators, hear what the coaches say on TV and look at the way our team perform on the field. Players making the same mistakes, using the same tactics etc.

Last night Mitch also mentioned about players executing the tackle incorrectly and then falling on the wrong side, then getting penalised for it. Do our coaches actually discuss these types of errors with players and try and rectify these mistakes?

In my work I need to learn each day, and making the same mistake as the day before is not tolerated, but why is it allowed on a field with professional rugby players?

• Like 1

Last night on Boots and All (it could have been Nick Mallet on Saturday), Mitch mentioned how Jantjies playes direct and that creates space for the outside players because the defenders can not move down the line as they do not know what Jantjies will be doing.

We have had the discussion before of how important the no 9 in todays game is. The vision needed and general decision making required. I have heard the saying before and believe that it is in part true, that if a player plays very well and shines, one must often look at the player on the inside doing the work in order for the outside player to shine. I am of the opinion that one of the contributing factors to Jantjies looking/performing so well is because of Faf on his inside.

Most of the set-up in South Africa with regards to our rugby looks retarded. Look at the parents next to the field at a Bulletjierugby game, listen to our commentators, hear what the coaches say on TV and look at the way our team perform on the field. Players making the same mistakes, using the same tactics etc.

Last night Mitch also mentioned about players executing the tackle incorrectly and then falling on the wrong side, then getting penalised for it. Do our coaches actually discuss these types of errors with players and try and rectify these mistakes?

In my work I need to learn each day, and making the same mistake as the day before is not tolerated, but why is it allowed on a field with professional rugby players?

Klop. I have said before a good scrummie can make a average flyhalf look good. Unfortunately it does not work in reverse.

• Like 2

I have said before a good scrummie can make a average flyhalf look good. Unfortunately it does not work in reverse.

​........ and there you have the limiting factor on my career ...... no flyhalf I ever ran out with had the power to polish a turd.

RP has made every flyhalf outside him look shit, but Faf has actually made Janjies look like an able 10, I honestly think that even Morne who is a reliable goal kicker, will thrive outside Faf.

And with that we will have this 9 who is young and sharp and then a mature 10 who we can rely on for his boot when needed.

England stars to earn £100,000 bonus if they win the Rugby World Cup... and players are in line for £15,000 for making match squads 

• England's players will be in line for a £100,000 bonus if they win World Cup
  • That figure is six times greater than the reward for winning RBS 6 Nations
  • Players get a lump sum of £15,000 for being named in matchday squad
  • There is no risk of the pay row that threatened to overshadow 2011 prep

England players have been promised a performance bonus of just over £100,000 each if they win this year's Rugby World Cup on home soil.

With 100 days to go until England open the tournament against Fiji at Twickenham on September 18, Sportsmail understands the financial incentive is more than six times greater than the £16,000 reward on offer for winning the 2015 RBS 6 Nations.

RFU paymasters have agreed maximum pay-outs if Stuart Lancaster's squad become the first England side to lift the Webb Ellis Cup since 2003.

England players have been promised a performance bonus of just over £100,000 if they win the World Cup

England players have been promised a performance bonus of just over £100,000 if they win the World Cup

There are 100 days to go until England open the tournament against Fiji at Twickenham on September 18

There are 100 days to go until England open the tournament against Fiji at Twickenham on September 18

On top of any performance-related rewards, players are also guaranteed a £15,000 lump sum — including match fees, training fees and image rights — every time they are named in the matchday 23.

Lancaster's squad are one of the highest paid in international rugby and, with the Rugby Players' Association sitting in on all negotiations, there is no risk of the pay row that led to some players threatening to boycott the send-off dinner before the 2011 World Cup. 

Stuart Lancaster's players are guaranteed a £15,000 lump sum when they are named in the matchday 23

Stuart Lancaster's players are guaranteed a £15,000 lump sum when they are named in the matchday 23

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-3117424/England-stars-earn-100-000-bonus-win-Rugby-World-Cup-players-line-15-000-making-match-squads.html#ixzz3ceFnDUDC 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I see the Wallaby jersey has also been designed like SA's one and the Wallaby has been moved to the sleeve. It annoys me that World Rugby have to have their Logo on the chest. Nonsense, they have their brand everywhere why do teams have to sacrifice their brand.

I see the Wallaby jersey has also been designed like SA's one and the Wallaby has been moved to the sleeve. It annoys me that World Rugby have to have their Logo on the chest. Nonsense, they have their brand everywhere why do teams have to sacrifice their brand.

​Another FIFA?  They are more important than the game?

​Will the Wallabies have the Aussie flag on the arse of their shorts.......like us?

​Will the Wallabies have the Aussie flag on the arse of their shorts.......like us?

They cut the stars down to one, the chocolate one.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Denny
    Newest Member
    Denny