Sign in to follow this  
Guest Viva Alonso

McLaren - Honda * The Team ,The Car, The Engine....

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

http://world.honda.com/motorsports/video/20141006/

Honda_zpsc1d4a7f2.jpg

Matt Somerfield:

As I posted the image up on my Twitter timeline first this morning the initial reaction was one of "That looks like the Mercedes PU".  Coming to the party a year late has given Honda a glimpse of what everyone else has done before them and so they can use that and place it in their own Powerunits architecture.  

IF the image were to be representative we could conclude that they may have chosen to run the split Turbo configuration used by Mercedes this season, with the Turbine at the rear and compressor at the front of the ICE with the MGU-H running between the V.  However I'd suggest that the design is more of a halfway house between the Mercedes and Ferrari, as the former place the Turbo much lower in the V.  The height of the turbo in relation to the V may indicate, like Ferrari that the compressor lies within the V putting less emphasis on the strength of the shaft that connects the two, and the design of the MGU-H that resides between them.

As we know Powerunit architecture is not only important in terms of producing power but also have ramifications to the packaging of ancillary components, whilst aero design must also be considered.  It's therefore of no surprise that Honda have decided to base their operations in Milton Keynes, not far from the team they'll supply, allowing ease of communication on the project.  Honda's arrival a year later into a new regulation run can be seen as both a good and bad thing, with the other 3 manufacturers having huge quantities of real world data to work with.  Meanwhile it has afforded Honda a glimpse into the direction that would serve them best, with a fresh sheet of paper to design their Powerunit whilst the rest may only change 48% of theirs for 2015.

Edited by Viva Alonso

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

The initial drawings that I saw did not have the split turbo of the Merc.

I dont think they will give to much away from the real design

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

“F1Today.net has had sources reveal to them that Hamilton visited the Woking base three weeks ago to sign for the team starting from next season. The source said:‘Lewis was in the Woking factory three weeks ago. He arrived by helicopter, had a conversation about two hours with the management and then left with a big smile on his face. He signed here, I can assure you. A seat fitting has not happened yet, but that will take place in the foreseeable future.'”

McLaren dismisses claim that Lewis Hamilton is to return to Woking in 2015 as partnership with Honda is revived.

A report this morning says that the Briton will return next year after he "visited the Woking base three weeks ago to sign for the team starting from next season".

"Lewis was in the Woking factory three weeks ago," the site quotes a source as saying. "He arrived by helicopter, had a conversation about two hours with the management and then left with a big smile on his face. He signed here, I can assure you. A seat fitting has not happened yet, but that will take place in the foreseeable future."

Contacted by Pitpass, a McLaren spokesman said: "This report is utterly without foundation, which is hardly surprising given the ultra-unreliable website on which it has appeared [F1Today.net]. As Ron Dennis said in SuzukaMcLaren has finalised no contracts with any drivers for 2015."

Speaking at the weekend, Niki Lauda said a deal with Hamilton has already been agreed - though not publicly confirmed - the Austrian admitting that he would like to extend it.

In a sensational move Red Bull announced on Saturday morning that Sebastian Vettel is to leave the team at season end, team boss Christian Horner claiming that the German is heading to Ferrari.

With no official word from the Italian team on Vettel, or indeed Fernando Alonso, who is rumoured to have been told last Thursday that he is free to go, the paddock (and ether) is awash with speculation. Some more reasonable than other.

One thing we have learnt in F1..... where there is smoke.... there usually is fire.

Edited by Viva Alonso

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Honda is targeting nothing other than victory as it prepares to return to Formula One in 2015.

Every other engine supplier in F1 - Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault - subsidises the huge costs of producing a highly-sophisticated turbo V6 'power unit' by also selling it to customers for millions of euros.

Japanese manufacturer Honda, however, is focusing solely on its works deal with McLaren.

"We are not thinking about that," said Honda's F1 chief Yasuhisa Arai when asked by Speed Week about potential plans for customers.

When asked what the goal for 2015 is, he answered: "To win Grands Prix with McLaren. It is for this reason we decided to partner with McLaren. We want to make history."

"We expect points in every race; we expect victories," said Arai.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

"Insiders say the Japanese turbo hybrid is showing strong performance on the test bed at the Honda factory, and the company has the advantage of knowing the performance of the current Mercedes engine and therefore what it has to aim for with its design."

http://somersf1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/honda-are-back.html

Edited by Viva Alonso

vlagman    914

Honda seems to be keeping their cards very close to their chests. They are not releasing much about their power unit. Not even on their own website. There are even conflicting reports about their turbo. On some of the images you get the impression that they are using a split turbo like Merc are using and on others you get the idea that they are using the same config as Ferrari and Renault.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

I believe Honda will be very strong next year, maybe not best but very competitive! 

It will be great for F1 if we have another team mixing it up at the front.... ( as long as its not RBR lol)

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

McLaren will deliver a "major upgrade" for the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi according to racing director Eric Boullier. Whilst the final race is worth double points, that isn't the reason McLaren are introducing it there, but rather they hope it will benefit next year's car whilst also boosting the MP4-29's performance. "We have another major upgrade coming before the end of the season," said Boullier during a McLaren-Mercedes phone-in. "It is not designed to bring an advantage for the double points, it is more about building the foundations for the future. 100 per cent it is applicable to next year's car." The team have outscored everyone but Mercedes and Red Bull at the last two races and opened a 20 point gap to Force India. On the other side, they've also closed to within 45 points of Ferrari. Surpassing Ferrari is feasible according to Boullier, but it's not a specific target for the team. "If the performance on our car is good and we can deliver some strong races like in Russia we will see if we can take back another championship position. I would be delighted to," he added. "I don't think we have a clear target this year other than rebuilding the team and getting ready to fight back as soon as possible."

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Rumors from Japan says that #Honda recevied a full 2014 chassis to study housing and installation of the Honda PU to debut in Abu Dhabi

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

McLaren’s erstwhile head of aerodynamics Doug McKiernan has left the team in the wake of the arrival of ex-Red Bull man Peter Prodromou from Red Bull.

McKiernan is not part of the restructured technical organisation, and is now on gardening leave.

Prodromou, who fills the same role, was given the generic title of ‘chief engineer,’ although presumably this will now change.

“We are working extremely hard to get McLaren back to where it belongs – at the very front of the grid,” said a team spokesman.

“To achieve that we have carefully reviewed everything we do and have recruited some very talented individuals.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso
 Will Tyson retweeted

#F1 Source in McLaren say Prodromou has already impressed.The first fruits of his work will be seen at Abu Dhabi as a big upgrade to the car

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

The end of the 2014 Formula 1 season is just around the corner, and McLaren is believed to be ready to run a development McLaren-Honda car in Abu Dhabi.

Two test days are also scheduled for November 25 and 26 at Abu Dhabi after the final Grand Prix of the year.

McLaren and Honda engineers have confirmed that they were thinking about running a development car made of an MP4-29 chassis mated to a Honda V6 power unit.

“We are still taking about it. We have to take a decision about now”, McLaren’s director of racing, Eric Boullier, told Auto123.com.

“We have two groups of engineers working in two different projects. One is working on the 2015 car, and the other is working on the development car. This car is designed to validate the processes for Honda, which is something fairly major,” Boullier explained.

Sky Sports F1 reveals Monday that not only are McLaren is preparing to run the car in Friday’s practice sessions at Abu Dhabi next week, but they will also be trialling new aerodynamic designs as they try to steal a march on their rivals ahead of next year’s campaign.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Quoted

According to Spanish reports, Massimo Rivola, Andrea Stella and Pedro De La Rosa will go to McLaren with Alonso.

I hope this is true, the bond Alonso-Stella is really deep, perhaps one of the most loving memory i have in recent years in F1 was that race in Malaysia 2012, with Alonso driving that dog in the rain with Ferrari under huge of pressure after failing to deliver a decent car, and that radio message from Stella once Alonso got the W, almost in tears:

This is one of the most beautiful, This is one of the most most beautiful, We are so proud of you Fernando, So proud of you & the team

It was really touching, something u don´t see these days in Formula 1

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

McLaren boss Ron Dennis gave the annual Watkins lecture at Autosport International yesterday. He was interviewed at length by veteran commentator Murray Walker for around an hour.

One of the most interesting moments came when he discussed how he managed the rivalry between Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso in 2007, and how it compared to the the infamous Ayrton Senna-Alain Prost battle of 1988-1989. Here’s what he had to say.

Every single driver that has driven for McLaren – including the most controversial drivers – I have striven and pretty much succeeded in all cases that they have become my friends. I think that when you spend so much time with these people and you ask so much of each other if you don’t have friendship you don’t have the base.

Now, what balances off friendship is of course the competitiveness that these individuals have. So that’s constantly in conflict. So how do you be come a really good friend and handle the inevitable ‘I want the best, I want this, look after me, favour me’? That’s difficult.

So, coming back to your question,
they have all become friends
. Even the drivers who left under a cloud,
those clouds tend to disappear over a period of time and friendship is re-kindled.

Asked “If Fernando [Alonso] comes walking down the corridor now you’re going to say, ‘hello Fernando, nice to see you again’?” Dennis replied:

Yes I would.

You understand why people do things and where they’re from and it’s important. Would I be able to eliminate in my mind the negativity that he caused to everyone, no, of course not. But I mean that’s… you’ve got to be the bigger person.

Latetr Walker asked him: “You had two particularly difficult driver relationships: Senna and Prost, and Hamilton and Alonso. You had four brilliant drivers on your hands, any of them could have won races, but how did you cope with their competitiveness?”

Dennis’s answer gave insight into how he tries to operate a system of equality at McLaren:

It’s obviously not easy. You’re dealing with extremely competitive individuals, very different personalities and, on both those occasions, very different cultural backgrounds. And, actually, very different educational backgrounds. The make-up of those particular men was very different.

With Ayrton he totaly lived for Formula 1 and its values. He did share, however, one thing with Alain in that they were both absolute heroes in their countries. They wre the pinnacle not only of their particular sport but also in their countries at that particular time they were the most prominent sporting personalities. They had phenomenal amounts written about them and very clearly, as was the case with Fernando and Lewis, what was written about them varied significantly in their respective countries. So they get built up, they get lots written about them, they get a lot of people talking to them and then they have to find, in their own mind, reasons for not succeeding.

It’s very important for a Grand Prix driver that they understand and, hopefully, believe in themself. And to understand themself they have to totally believe themself. Which means that it’s extremely difficult for them to come to terms with something not being the car or the team’s fault. So when they fail, as they inevitably will because it’s the nature of the sport, all drivers tend to look for some reason for that failure.

If you are as committed as McLaren is to equality you demonstrate equality on a constant basis. For example with Alain he was always very concerned that Ayrton would be favoured by Honda as regards to the engine. So the race engines would be lined up, engine numbers would be written on pieces of paper, put in a hat and they would draw for their engine choice. It was simplistic but the easiest way to ensure that there was no bias on engines.

Once you eliminate these things you end up with human problems. The human problems ultimately come down to “he did this” – just like school kids – “he did that, teacher, I did that, teacher.” And then you have to arbitrate.

And in the end I am tough and the harder you push on me the tougher I get. I make it abundantly clear how it’s going to be and if a driver – and it has happened, not between those four drivers – comes to a point where he can’t accept it then there is no place for him at McLaren.

DbDraad    595

McLaren boss Ron Dennis gave the annual Watkins lecture at Autosport International yesterday. He was interviewed at length by veteran commentator Murray Walker for around an hour.

One of the most interesting moments came when he discussed how he managed the rivalry between Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso in 2007, and how it compared to the the infamous Ayrton Senna-Alain Prost battle of 1988-1989. Here’s what he had to say.

Every single driver that has driven for McLaren – including the most controversial drivers – I have striven and pretty much succeeded in all cases that they have become my friends. I think that when you spend so much time with these people and you ask so much of each other if you don’t have friendship you don’t have the base.

Now, what balances off friendship is of course the competitiveness that these individuals have. So that’s constantly in conflict. So how do you be come a really good friend and handle the inevitable ‘I want the best, I want this, look after me, favour me’? That’s difficult.

So, coming back to your question,
they have all become friends
. Even the drivers who left under a cloud,
those clouds tend to disappear over a period of time and friendship is re-kindled.

Asked “If Fernando [Alonso] comes walking down the corridor now you’re going to say, ‘hello Fernando, nice to see you again’?” Dennis replied:

Yes I would.

You understand why people do things and where they’re from and it’s important.
Would I be able to eliminate in my mind
the negativity that he caused to everyone
, no, of course not. But I mean that’s… you’ve got to be the bigger person.

Latetr Walker asked him: “You had two particularly difficult driver relationships: Senna and Prost, and Hamilton and Alonso. You had four brilliant drivers on your hands, any of them could have won races, but how did you cope with their competitiveness?”

Dennis’s answer gave insight into how he tries to operate a system of equality at McLaren:

It’s obviously not easy. You’re dealing with extremely competitive individuals, very different personalities and, on both those occasions, very different cultural backgrounds. And, actually, very different educational backgrounds. The make-up of those particular men was very different.

With Ayrton he totaly lived for Formula 1 and its values. He did share, however, one thing with Alain in that they were both absolute heroes in their countries. They wre the pinnacle not only of their particular sport but also in their countries at that particular time they were the most prominent sporting personalities. They had phenomenal amounts written about them and very clearly, as was the case with Fernando and Lewis, what was written about them varied significantly in their respective countries. So they get built up, they get lots written about them, they get a lot of people talking to them and then they have to find, in their own mind, reasons for not succeeding.

It’s very important for a Grand Prix driver that they understand and, hopefully, believe in themself. And to understand themself they have to totally believe themself. Which means that it’s extremely difficult for them to come to terms with something not being the car or the team’s fault. So when they fail, as they inevitably will because it’s the nature of the sport, all drivers tend to look for some reason for that failure.

If you are as committed as McLaren is to equality you demonstrate equality on a constant basis. For example with Alain he was always very concerned that Ayrton would be favoured by Honda as regards to the engine. So the race engines would be lined up, engine numbers would be written on pieces of paper, put in a hat and they would draw for their engine choice. It was simplistic but the easiest way to ensure that there was no bias on engines.

Once you eliminate these things you end up with human problems.
The human problems ultimately come down to “he did this” – just like school kids – “he did that, teacher, I did that, teacher.” And then you have to arbitrate.

And in the end I am tough and the harder you push on me the tougher I get. I make it abundantly clear how it’s going to be and if a driver – and it has happened, not between those four drivers – comes to a point where he can’t accept it then there is no place for him at McLaren.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Are McLaren and Ferrari playing chicken to see who can announce its drivers later?

McLaren say they will not announce their driver line-up for next year until December.

“Selecting the optimal driver line-up for a Formula One team is clearly an important process, and it is therefore one that requires precise and prolonged analysis,” said the team in a statement.

“That being the case, and in order to avoid distracting the race team from its primary objective during the final Grand Prix weekend of the season, which is to secure the best possible on-track results, we have decided to defer our final deliberations relating to our 2015 driver line-up until a date no earlier than Monday December 1st.”

Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso has been linked with a place at the team, potentially replacing either Jenson Button or Kevin Magnussen.

McLaren Honda being very serious about their 2015 car..

McLaren has confirmed that it plans to run its interim development car at the post-season test in Abu Dhabi next week. The MP4-29H/1X1 had its first outing last week at Silverstone during a 'filming day' where McLaren gave the new Honda hybrid-V6 power unit its first shakedown. That test was conducted under tight restrictions as per the regulations, but McLaren are hopeful of running the car and engine in Abu Dhabi where it can test at maximum performance. "We are working extremely hard to ensure that every element of our competitive package for 2015 and beyond is specified to the fullest extent," read a statement. "We have spent the past nine months comprehensively recruiting and restructuring within our design and engineering departments; over the next few days we will be evaluating and trialling a range of aerodynamic upgrades for the forthcoming Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and for the 2015 Formula 1 season; furthermore, we are now only a few days away from formally commencing our exciting technical partnership with Honda. "Subject to satisfactory final bench-testing, it is currently our intention to run our interim development car, the McLaren MP4-29H/1X1, on the test days that will follow the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix." - See more at: http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/09564#sthash.P0hTpFln.dpuf

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Watch Buttons reaction when Alonso was asked who he would prefer as team mate lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfIgmTr8CYQ

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 16 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Radiance Space
    Newest Member
    Radiance Space