Sign in to follow this  
Guest Viva Alonso

McLaren - Honda * The Team ,The Car, The Engine....

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzouwIF-5CU

McLaren-Honda – a new era

Between 1988 and 1992, McLaren-Honda dominated Formula 1, winning 44 grands prix and eight world championships. In 2015, that partnership will be reforged. As we get ready for our new era in F1, we invite you inside the garage to witness first-hand the reunion of McLaren and Honda, and watch the MP4-29H/1X1 take to the track for its first ever run.

Edited by Viva Alonso

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

McLaren's  Honda Powered car skipped the first morning of post-season Formula 1 testing at Abu Dhabi on Tuesday, due to suspected electrical problems.

"We are triple checking some electrical issues we may have with the [battery] particularly, which is a part we have built as McLaren," explained racing director Eric Boullier.

"We just want to be very careful. At a minimum you may burn the [wiring] harness, but you could also damage any ECUs.

"Running F1 cars is not anymore like the old days when you just turned up with a starter and fire up and go.

"We just want to triple check. Leaving the garage at 0900 or 1000 or 1200 or 1300 doesn't change anything."

Boullier revealed McLaren plans only to test the effectiveness and reliability of the engine and energy recovery systems and will not chase laptimes.

"First reliability, recovery and checking every code on everything you can.

"It's going to take us about 10 runs to go through before we go into another phase, which is putting in longer runs to see if there is anything going wrong after three-lap runs.

"Gradually we will try to charge the engine more and push, not to the limit on these two days, but trying to put more onto the electrical package and the recovery.

"We will definitely not try to chase a laptime, just pushing the engine and the recovery system.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Honda, as a new F1 manufacturer, has been told that its 2015 engine must be homologated by February 28 next year rather than for the start of the season as with the other teams.

Another "small" benefit for the Honda camp!... it could however make a BIG difference! 

Edited by Viva Alonso

Guest Jolly Joker   
Guest Jolly Joker

Honda, as a new F1 manufacturer, has been told that its 2015 engine must be homologated by February 28 next year rather than for the start of the season as with the other teams.

Another "small" benefit for the Honda camp!... it could however make a BIG difference! 

That is before the start of the season isn't it?

DbDraad    595

I find it totally absurd that no further development of engines are allowed past a certain date. If you are behind, you are not allowed to catch up, so you can kiss the whole season goodbye? They can do something else to save cost. This season will probably repeat itself untill there are only one engine supplier left in F1, and that will be the end.

• Like 1

Guest Jolly Joker   
Guest Jolly Joker

I find it totally absurd that no further development of engines are allowed past a certain date. If you are behind, you are not allowed to catch up, so you can kiss the whole season goodbye? They can do something else to save cost. This season will probably repeat itself untill there are only one engine supplier left in F1, and that will be the end.

I agree. In-season testing/development would make it way more competative, which is what F1 needs.

vlagman    914

That is before the start of the season isn't it?

I think that something is not quite right with that statment. From what I can see, the cut-off date for all the teams is 28 Feb, ad has always been 28 Feb. It was the same this year as well.

The way I see it, Honda will have less restrictions on developments. Remember that they are only allowed certain developments on the 2014 power units before the homologation on 28 Feb. These restrictions get progressively stricter. I have an idea that Honda, as a newcomer might have a "relaxed" set of further developments, i.e. a "larger range" of developments that can still be done.

I think that too much is made of the so-called engine freeze in any case. Read this:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/09/03/ferrari-can-make-big-gains-despite-engine-freeze/

DbDraad    595

I think that something is not quite right with that statment. From what I can see, the cut-off date for all the teams is 28 Feb, ad has always been 28 Feb. It was the same this year as well.

The way I see it, Honda will have less restrictions on developments. Remember that they are only allowed certain developments on the 2014 power units before the homologation on 28 Feb. These restrictions get progressively stricter. I have an idea that Honda, as a newcomer might have a "relaxed" set of further developments, i.e. a "larger range" of developments that can still be done.

I think that too much is made of the so-called engine freeze in any case. Read this:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/09/03/ferrari-can-make-big-gains-despite-engine-freeze/

I think not. That 48% is for the first year only. It get's harder going to the future, but that is besides the point. If you draw a dud with your engine, your year is done for. No way of changing that engine till the next year, even if it's an obvious small change. Stupid.

vlagman    914

Jenson Button's Formula 1 future will become clear on Thursday when McLaren announce their driver line-up for 2015 after weeks of wrangling.

The 2009 world champion, 34, has been vying with Kevin Magnussen, 22, for the right to partner Fernando Alonso.

The team plan to make their decision public at a news conference at their Surrey factory on Thursday morning.

Spaniard Alonso, a double world champion, has returned to McLaren after five seasons with Ferrari.

McLaren chairman Ron Dennis said at the final race of 2014 that a choice between Button and Magnussen would be made on a "clinical and emotionless analysis of the options".

Button, who made his F1 debut in 2000, said at an awards ceremony on Sunday: "It's a strange situation but sometimes in life you find yourself in these situations. You just have to deal with it."

If the Englishman, who finished eighth this season, misses out on a McLaren drive for 2015, his F1 career could be over.

Rival teams have already confirmed their driver line-ups for next year.

Alonso's future was decided some weeks ago but Dennis has vacillated over who to choose as his team-mate.

He had to weigh up the pros and cons of Button's experience and greater performance in 2014 - he scored more than twice as many points as Magnussen - against the Dane's youth and potential.

Financial considerations may also be part of the decision.

Button was earning a salary of £12m in 2014, while Magnussen, in his debut season, was on about £500,000.

The Dane finished 11th in the standings, having taken second place in the season-opening Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne.

If Button is axed by McLaren, he has an option to move to the FIA World Endurance Championship, a path followed by his friend Mark Webber when he retired from F1 at the end of 2013.

Button, who began his F1 career at Williams, also has a passion for triathlons and could turn his focus in that direction.

McLaren's capture of Alonso was sealed weeks before the end of the 2014 season, but the team were waiting to make a decision on their second driver before announcing the complete line-up.

Alonso left Ferrari after their worst season for 21 years convinced him they were not capable of winning the world championship in the foreseeable future.

The Spaniard believes he has a better chance of success - and a third world title - with McLaren.

The team have had a difficult two seasons but their new engine partnership with Honda and a team restructure, which included the signing of key personnel, helped persuade Alonso to join.

Alonso endured a difficult single season with McLaren in 2007, leaving just one year into a three-year contract.

But his need for a more competitive car and McLaren's desire to sign an A-list driver convinced the two parties to work together again.

Alonso is reputed to have signed a deal worth $40m (£25.5m) a year, which would make him the best-paid driver on the grid.

The contract is believed to be for two years with an option for one more, but Alonso will almost certainly be able to leave at the end of 2015 if McLaren's performance is not up to expectations next season.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Yeah! ..... just get the driver announcement over and done with! .... its not fun anymore lol

Im realllllly hoping its Button ..... for no other reason but for Alonso to add one more ex WDC champs scalp to his collection hahaha

Seriously.... from a feedback / development point of view Button has a lot more experience, the McLaren Honda will have a lot of issues to be sorted out and they need drivers with experience! .... feel sorry for K-Mag

Edited by Viva Alonso

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

McLaren F1 team keeps Jenson Button alongside Fernando Alonso

McLaren will retain Jenson Button alongside Fernando Alonso for the 2015 Formula 1 season.

The announcement, made at a special media briefing at McLaren's Woking F1 headquarters on Thursday, ends months of speculation over who will partner Alonso when the Spaniard rejoins the team next year.

Full announcement from McLaren:
'
McLaren-Honda is delighted to announce its new driver line-up for 2015: Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button. Kevin Magnussen will remain an important part of the team, as test and reserve driver.

'All three men will play crucial roles in re-establishing the ascendancy of one of global sport’s most iconic unions, for McLaren and Honda have already formed one of the most dominant partnerships in motorsport history: Honda broke new ground in the 1980s by creating a turbocharged engine that was unparalleled in both its output and its efficiency, and, between 1988 and 1992, McLaren-Honda won eight world championships and 44 grands prix, and took 53 pole positions and set 30 fastest laps, all in just 80 grands prix.

'In 1988, the partnership created arguably the single most successful Formula 1 car of all time: the all-conquering McLaren-Honda MP4/4, which was driven to victory by Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost in an amazing 15 of the season’s 16 grands prix.

'The lure presented by those same goals has once again brought the legendary Japanese corporation back to the pinnacle of global motor racing; and, again, that company, Honda, is developing its revolutionary new turbocharged engine at its all-new purpose-built state-of-the-art motorsport facility in Sakura, Japan.

'It is against that backdrop that McLaren and Honda are now committing to rebuilding afresh the strongest possible partnership in Formula 1.

'The aforementioned Ayrton Senna, in the opinion of many the greatest driver in the history of our sport, won 30 of the 44 grands prix that McLaren and Honda annexed together between 1988 and 1992. Ayrton once said: “We do not need myths. We need examples to be followed – examples of courage, determination and hope. We need to believe it is possible to win, and it is our duty to pursue that belief.”

'Everyone at McLaren, and at Honda, agrees with every word of that inspirational remark, starting with our newly re-recruited driver, Fernando Alonso.'

Edited by Viva Alonso

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Dennis says McLaren have "by an order of magnitude the best driver line-up of any current Formula One team":

Alonso turned down “tempting” offers to commit to McLaren

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Yeah! ..... just get the driver announcement over and done with! .... its not fun anymore lol

Im realllllly hoping its Button ..... for no other reason but for Alonso to add one more ex WDC champs scalp to his collection hahaha

Seriously.... from a feedback / development point of view Button has a lot more experience, the McLaren Honda will have a lot of issues to be sorted out and they need drivers with experience! .... feel sorry for K-Mag

My wish was granted!

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Dennis: I really respect that Fernando chose to change direction, come back to McLaren and address what we both feel is unfinished business

Honda's new research and development facility in Sakura sounds amazing.

F1 Grid retweeted

Alonso thanks Martin Whitmarsh for helping him get his contract, among others.

Edited by Viva Alonso

vlagman    914

Dennis: I really respect that Fernando chose to change direction, come back to McLaren and address what we both feel is unfinished business

I have, on many occasions,  quoted the interview with Alonso, that I saw in 2008. At the time, he was asked about what happened in 2007 and they wanted his side of the story. He said that he would not discuss it and that he wasn't planning on discussing it and he also said that he would ever discuss it. Then there is also a recent interview with Ron Dennis and an article that I read, where he said that he made mistakes in 2007 and that, in hindsight,  he did not handle the situation in 2007 in Hungary correctly.

Having said that, I still do not like or trust Honest Ron. Die bliksem. :)

Mata Hari    483

I am glad Jenson got another year at least at McClaren. He was the better driver last year, and Magnussen's  time will come around again

vlagman    914

I am glad Jenson got another year at least at McClaren. He was the better driver last year, and Magnussen's  time will come around again

....and this year. :)

PS. Alonso also had one year followed by a year as a reserve driver. In fact, he was a Beneton reserve driver when Jenson Button was one of the drivers. The next year Beneton became Renault and Button was dropped for Alonso.

Guest Jolly Joker   
Guest Jolly Joker

Apparantly Button has a multi year deal, which will see him at the team beyond 2015. That might also have contributed to the delay (the negotiations for a multi year deal).

Mata Hari    483

....and this year. :)

PS. Alonso also had one year followed by a year as a reserve driver. In fact, he was a Beneton reserve driver when Jenson Button was one of the drivers. The next year Beneton became Renault and Button was dropped for Alonso.

LOL I meant this year

DbDraad    595

I have, on many occasions,  quoted the interview with Alonso, that I saw in 2008. At the time, he was asked about what happened in 2007 and they wanted his side of the story. He said that he would not discuss it and that he wasn't planning on discussing it and he also said that he would ever discuss it. Then there is also a recent interview with Ron Dennis and an article that I read, where he said that he made mistakes in 2007 and that, in hindsight,  he did not handle the situation in 2007 in Hungary correctly.

Having said that, I still do not like or trust Honest Ron. Die bliksem. :)

Vlag, you posted that on hear and I must say that you read selectively. And, there is not much that Alonso can say about 2007. You are right, there is his side of the story as well as that of Dennis AND then there is the truth. He might be able to sugar coat it a bit, but facts are facts.

vlagman    914

Vlag, you posted that on hear and I must say that you read selectively. And, there is not much that Alonso can say about 2007. You are right, there is his side of the story as well as that of Dennis AND then there is the truth. He might be able to sugar coat it a bit, but facts are facts.

I am not trying to sugar coat anything. What is the truth? The only "truth" at the moment is Ron's truth and he has already acknowledged that he has made mistakes. He and McLaren were in the wrong and they were sanctioned.

DbDraad    595

The truth is: McL got hold of some of Ferrari's intellectual property in an unlawful way - Spygate. Alonso knew about it and did nothing about it, until he was treated "unfairly" by the team.  You can't explain it away, that's why he is keeping his mouth shut. The qualifying incident with him and Lewis was also there for everyone to see. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Radiance Space
    Newest Member
    Radiance Space