Arlecchino

Clive Rice & Graeme Pollock

Arlecchino    503

From Sportsfire by Graeme Joffe

“Tvl cook-ing with Kourie and Rice”

Remember those slogans at the Wanderers in the good old Mean Machine days.

I was an avid Transvaal fan and remember the players like it was yesterday: Cook, Fotheringham, Kallicharan, Pollock, Rice, McKenzie, Page, Kourie, Jennings, McMillan, Radford, Clarke, Hanley and the list goes on.

Jimmy Cook was also our teacher, coach and mentor at Fairways Primary.

You couldn’t ask for more and Jimmy is still getting heaps of praise from parents of kids that he still coaches today.

I’ll never forget my first newspaper interview as a kid for the North Eastern Tribune and they asked me who was my cricket role model and my answer was:

“I want to bat like Graeme Pollock and bowl like Clive Rice.”

Stupid me, I could never bat like Graeme Pollock – I was right handed.

Jokes aside, I’ve been following the toughest opposition Pollock and Rice have had to face over recent months.

Pollock, one of our greatest batsman of all time has been ill for a while battling Parkinson’s disease and it’s good to see how friends and other sportspeople have rallied around him with fundraisers to assist with the mounting medical bills.

At the other end, Ricey was recently diagnosed with a brain tumour and jetted off to India this week to seek treatment.

This was one of his recent Facebook posts:

Went this morning to see the Doctor who has set up the schedule for a total body MRI scan at 9am tomorrow and once he has seen what liaisons have to be attacked will get the mask made in the afternoon for the Cyber Knife treatment on Tuesday. He is also going to sort out the acoustic neuroma tumour that they partially removed in 1998 from my head. I am really looking forward to sorting this current one in my head out on Tuesday and knowing that it cannot do damage . Not that it has not been damaged for years?????this is cutting edge technology on Cancer treatment and maintenance. One request I have asked for is the bad golf swing memory cells to be destroyed as well then I can return with Rory’s or Ernie’s swing.

Good to see he remains so positive and hasn’t lost his sense of humour.

Ricey has always been one of my favourite sporting celebrities, he does so much for charity, speaks his mind and is a fountain of cricket knowledge.

I think I’ve used the same line on him for ten years at various charity golf day, calling him up to receive 10th prize which is a cut and blow from one or another hairdresser.

Don’t think Ricey has been for a haircut in 20 years!

Just a slap down the sides with a little brylcreem.

Two legends of the game needing some good overs to get back onto the front foot.

Graeme and Ricey, I’m sending down some long hops to help you get your eyes back in.

Wishing you well!

Photo: Facebook
Message: I found this among my memorabilia, from the days I owned Stuart Surridge, yesterday. In the 1978 season you scored 1971 at an average of 66. What a remarkable feat!! Tomorrow is the beginning of a further Clive Rice challenge…All the very best my dear friend!” – Mike Hermason

WeDaFaKaWe    347

Yip I remember those old 'English Service' days, when listening to them on the radio was the only way of knowing what was going on.

Another name you can add is Charles Fortune, he even made it interesting to listen too when the fast bowler was taking a long walk back to his mark. Sometimes now I even change the channel to watch something else while that's happening.

I was privileged to see GP and CR along with Barry Richards and a host of others play the WI Rebels at Newlands the first and only time I've ever been there.

Sorry to hear of the state of health but nice to hear of the support they're getting.

Perhaps someone can help me out. IIRC those days there was an 'All Rounder' competition played for a couple of years? I was under the impression CR won the comp 2 years in a row.

I may be wrong, it just comes to mind whenever the Kallis v Sobers argument comes up.

taipan    1,579

Yip I remember those old 'English Service' days, when listening to them on the radio was the only way of knowing what was going on.

Another name you can add is Charles Fortune, he even made it interesting to listen too when the fast bowler was taking a long walk back to his mark. Sometimes now I even change the channel to watch something else while that's happening.

I was privileged to see GP and CR along with Barry Richards and a host of others play the WI Rebels at Newlands the first and only time I've ever been there.

Sorry to hear of the state of health but nice to hear of the support they're getting.

Perhaps someone can help me out. IIRC those days there was an 'All Rounder' competition played for a couple of years? I was under the impression CR won the comp 2 years in a row.

I may be wrong, it just comes to mind whenever the Kallis v Sobers argument comes up.

Was played in Hong Kong. I think Rice might have won it more than twice.

vlagman    992

Kapil Dev and Imran Kahn also used to play. I remember Ricey complaining once (after he actually won the bloody event) that some of them deliberately dropped catches off his bowling.  :36_11_6:

vlagman    992

http://www.cricketcountry.com/articles/clive-rice-sachin-tendulkar-should-play-until-not-a-drop-of-juice-is-left-in-that-orange-23996

"CR: Rich [Hadlee] and I had to balance responsibilities. Richard would lead the bowling and I would help. I would in turn focus more on batting and Richard would help. As all-rounders, those were our roles in the side. Of course, there would be days when I would suddenly dominate with the ball and pick up six wickets. Just like we have [Jacques] Kallis now, he is a batsman who can bowl, but not a frontline bowler. For the Notts, I was more of a batsman than a bowler.

CC: You also won several all-rounder competitions against the best in business at that time — Imran Khan, Kapil Dev, Richard Hadlee and Ian Botham.

CR: There were four tournaments — two in England and two in Hong Kong. I won three of the four. I won the two in England, and one at the Kowloon Cricket Club. I lost to Imran in the fourth, held at the Hong Kong Cricket Club. They were single wicket competitions, the rest of the all-rounders bowled at you."

taipan    1,579

Bit harsh on Kallis, he was a frontline bowler for a while.

I think Rice himself was picked as a bowling allrounder for the aborted Aussie tour.

vlagman    992

Bit harsh on Kallis, he was a frontline bowler for a while.

I think Rice himself was picked as a bowling allrounder for the aborted Aussie tour.

Yep. My thoughts as well but I was not actually interested in that part. I only wanted to confirm what you have said about that tournament, i.e. that Rice won it more than twice.

J1M1    602

Great memories of some really great cricketers.........they all had something called ......."character".

taipan    1,579

Clive Rice: "I'd feel like a bastard if I played for any other country."

Wasn't Rice instrumental in getting KP to England?

J1M1    602

Eddie Barlow should get a mention somewhere...........Trevor Goddard, Tiger Lance, Brian Mac too

vlagman    992

Eddie Barlow should get a mention somewhere...........Trevor Goddard, Tiger Lance, Brian Mac too

If we start that, we will end up with a moerse list. Big Vince, Proctor, Garth le Roux, Stephen Jeffries, Colin Bland............

taipan    1,579

If we start that, we will end up with a moerse list. Big Vince, Proctor, Garth le Roux, Stephen Jeffries, Colin Bland............

They were all fat?

vlagman    992

They were all fat?

There is an Afrikaans expression: Hy het die klokkie hoor lui maar hy weet nie waar sit die bel nie. That's me in this case.  :36_11_6:

Arlecchino    503

Ali Bacher was blessed with a team of incredible allrounders. 

Mike Procter played Rice around SA in a series of single wicket competitions which Procter won.

Mick Sawyer    154

Ali Bacher was blessed with a team of incredible allrounders. 

Mike Procter played Rice around SA in a series of single wicket competitions which Procter won.

Single and double wickets; they were great little events to play and watch. Given the propensity of sporting associations to pander to those with attention deficit it's a true wonder we don't see them revived as a television product. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    sharleen
    Newest Member
    sharleen