vlagman

Donald steps down as SA bowling coach

http://www.cricket365.co.uk/news/story/15390/Donald-steps-down-as-SA-bowling-coach

Donald steps down as SA bowling coach

Tue 14-April-2015 16:00

Allan Donald has decided to step down from his role as South Africa's bowling coach after being in the job for four years when he was appointed by then coach Gary Kirsten in 2011.

The Proteas lost in the semi-final of the recently concluded World Cup, against New Zealand, and Donald felt it was the right time to step down. He is currently the bowling coach of the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the IPL.

Donald said in a statement: "I have had some time to reflect after the World Cup and have come to the conclusion that the time is right to move on.

"It was always a big dream of mine to work in the South African cricket environment after my playing days and I was incredibly honoured to be given the opportunity.

"The last four years have been the best of my life and being involved with the Proteas in the 2015 Cricket World Cup was a goal I had set my sights on.

"I was blessed to have worked with the best bowling attack in the world over a four year period and leave with fond memories and experiences, particularly getting to the top of the ICC Test rankings.

"I have a lot of respect for the environment and culture that the players have created and I have no doubt that it will continue to grow under the leadership of Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers and Faf du Plessis.

"Lastly, I'd like to thank my family for their unconditional support throughout the hustle and bustle of international sport. All the best to Russell Domingo and the rest of the team.

"May the Proteas go from strength to strength and I will be following their journey with great interest."

I have always found it strange that Test teams need full time batting and bowling coaches.

Not sure what a batting coach could add to AB's game.

Another twist.....?:

Fanie: I don't believe Donald's reasons

Cape Town - Former South African fast bowler Fanie de Villiers says he does not believe the reasons behind Allan Donald’s sudden resignation as Proteas bowling coach.

Donald on Tuesday shocked with his decision to step down after four years at the helm.

He was appointed in June 2011 as part of Gary Kirsten’s management team and continued in the role under Russell Domingo from August 2013.

The 48-year-old said it was “the right time to move on” and thanked the players, coaches and Cricket South Africa for their support over the years.

“I have had some time to reflect after the World Cup and have come to the conclusion that the time is right to move on,” said Donald. “It was always a big dream of mine to work in the South African cricket environment after my playing days and I was incredibly honoured to be given the opportunity. The last four years have been the best of my life and being involved with the Proteas in the 2015 Cricket World Cup was a goal I had set my sights on.

“I was blessed to have worked with the best bowling attack in the world over a four year period and leave with fond memories and experiences, particularly getting to the top of the ICC Test rankings. I have a lot of respect for the environment and culture that the players have created and I have no doubt that it will continue to grow under the leadership of Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers and Faf du Plessis.

“Lastly, I'd like to thank my family for their unconditional support throughout the hustle and bustle of international sport. All the best to Russell and the rest of the team. May the Proteas go from strength to strength and I will be following their journey with great interest.”

De Villiers, speaking to Netwerk24, found it hard to believe Donald’s reasons in the official press release.

“I do not believe it at all. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if there’s another story behind his decision. Allan would have earned a lot of money as bowling coach of the national team and I don’t think you just turn your back on that.

“Obviously, questions will be raised about what happened at the World Cup and whether the SMS story with Vernon Philander had anything to do with it.

“Maybe it’s a case of some of the players trying to work him out? I don't think that Fanie has this one right. The other two sounds plausible. 

“With Charl Langeveldt brought in (as bowling consultant) before the World Cup to help with the bowling, could politics have played a role?

“It all just sounds a bit too strange for Allan to make a decision like that so sudden.”

Donald is currently in India, working as the bowling coach of IPL team, Royal Challengers Bangalore.

I know, you have to start on the premise that anything that happens in SA sport is racially driven.

TBH, I also smelled a rat when I saw that Donald was quitting but I had a different "theory". Could it be that he was taking the knock for Steyn not being able to "perform" in ODIs in the same way that he does in tests? You know, and I know, that Steyn is not really and ODI bowler, but are there others who do not know (or do not want to know) who have maybe given him (Donald) a little nudge?

Being away from home for such long periods.........maybe it's "huis moles"?

TBH, I also smelled a rat when I saw that Donald was quitting but I had a different "theory". Could it be that he was taking the knock for Steyn not being able to "perform" in ODIs in the same way that he does in tests? You know, and I know, that Steyn is not really and ODI bowler, but are there others who do not know (or do not want to know) who have maybe given him (Donald) a little nudge?

​Steyn has been going for plenty in short form cricket for some time now - the genius who saved him up for the last over should be on the rack. Even his IPL team have benched him and are going with Trent Boult instead (seems like a good result to me - he gets paid for turning up but doesn't put himself in harms way(.

​Steyn has been going for plenty in short form cricket for some time now - the genius who saved him up for the last over should be on the rack. Even his IPL team have benched him and are going with Trent Boult instead (seems like a good result to me - he gets paid for turning up but doesn't put himself in harms way(.

There are a number of reasons for this, but arsed if I am going to go through it again.

Suffice to say, Donald himself bowled first change for much of his ODI bowling career.

At times, Fanie only talks because he can.

IMO He was undermined/rendered useless in the ODI world cup event......Langeveldt ("death bowling" coach) & Claude Henderson  ("spinners coach") ..............what was left for him to do???

My money's on Langeveldt as bowling coach

And, judging from that article, it would appear that there was also some poor decision making/planning. The rain does not appear and starts pouring down in two seconds....

Guest Thato

​I knew it! Quotas killing our sport - repeat, repeat, repeat... most annoying is that Vernon is a talented player, only had to be benched based on poor form plus injury, and play Abbott but noooooooo.... now people calling Vernon a quota because of stupid management and politics...

Until CSA/unGovernment get their act together regarding our cricket, I will only be a passive observer. Not wasting another rand on a cricket match ticket or getting my blood pressure all messed up for this madness.

Over, and out - see you all on the flip side.

Peace in the Middle East!

Edited by Thato

Thato, all real cricket fans know Vern is there on merit.  Great test player and more than good in ODI's IF THE CONDITIONS ARE RIGHT. But like every other player he needs to befully fit. He wasn't and it is absolutely ridiculous to play im in a semi, when you have a match fit player in form. Abbot and Vern were both victims of our New Improved Apartheid System. Viva SA, VIVA!!!

Guest Thato

Thato, all real cricket fans know Vern is there on merit.  Great test player and more than good in ODI's IF THE CONDITIONS ARE RIGHT. But like every other player he needs to befully fit. He wasn't and it is absolutely ridiculous to play im in a semi, when you have a match fit player in form. Abbot and Vern were both victims of our New Improved Apartheid System. Viva SA, VIVA!!!

​100% - our country is burning - on fire. I for one will not sit by and watch quietly, just like I didn't vote cANCer last elections, and elections before that, I will not vote them ever again... and we need to unite as a country and fight like hell and the voting booth is our strongest weapon.

If we are not killing and burning innocent people, we are destroying whatever good is left in our country...

I'm over it, over it...

And in other news today Jacques Rudolph retired from SA cricket at the age of 33. Another amazing talent extinguished by quotas. The damage done to him and Justin Ontong destroyed both their careers.

And, judging from that article, it would appear that there was also some poor decision making/planning. The rain does not appear and starts pouring down in two seconds....

It is very hard to plan for rain.

That decision I think was right.

Rudolph retiring frees up a domestic spot for a kid so probably a good thing. As we found out you can't have a whole lot of 30 somethings, with little or no prospect of an international call, up clogging up domestic rosters and stifling the progress of the next generation. You need to keep some of the experienced players to help the development of the younger players but we had the situation in some states where the top six had up to 5 over 30's.  

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Denny
    Newest Member
    Denny