Sign in to follow this  
Docker

Free booze

Under instruction from the bride I ordered some champagne (Billiecarte and Veuve) from a large local retailer who tosses in delivery if you spend more than $100AUD. We bought 12 bottles in total and spent just shy of $700AUD. The boys dropped the order off yesterday and again today!!. Only paid once so far. Not sure how that happened but they can discover their own error.   

• Like 1

I had  that with Take-a-lot in SA - I phoned them, I mailed them with scanned documents, they never replied.  I kept the "unwanted" items in the delivery box for 6 months then gave it to a mate.

Reminds me of the Free Mandela concert in London. The rent a crowd duly pitched up and were pissed off when they found out a Mandela wasn't a drink.

Under instruction from the bride I ordered some champagne (Billiecarte and Veuve) from a large local retailer who tosses in delivery if you spend more than $100AUD. We bought 12 bottles in total and spent just shy of $700AUD. The boys dropped the order off yesterday and again today!!. Only paid once so far. Not sure how that happened but they can discover their own error.   

​Don't drink too much of the 2nd batch you might have to pay the 2nd 700 AUSD

Never mind the hangover

:)

Edited by Mata Hari

​On the way to the airport now......

​On the way to the airport now......

​Anytime your in town feel free to drop in.

Enjoy Docker, i would like to think that they had no right to get the stuff back seen as they placed the stuff in your house.

I heard about this the other day

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9955111/Mourners-for-rent-hired-to-blub-at-funerals.html

​Don't drink too much of the 2nd batch you might have to pay the 2nd 700 AUSD

Never mind the hangover

:)

​I will probably wind up paying for the stuff - doesn't hurt to have a few spares. There are plenty of local legal precedents which suggest that you do not have perfect title to money or goods received in error. As a bean counter I am intrigued as to how long it will take to discover the error in their system. As Mick will tell you Dan Murphy's is the big daddy of liquor retailers in this country.

Edited by Docker
  • Like 1

Many of the Automotive industry dealers in SA have a "clause" on their invoices which reads (maybe not verbatim) "Transfer of ownership of the goods depicted on this document will only be granted to the invoiced party once payment is received in full by the supplier. Until such confirmation is received ownership shall remain in the name of the supplier"  (Where supplier will be the dealers name)

Customers but parts etc on credit and then go bankrupt before settling the account.  When the landlord or bank or Revenue folk foreclose they then lay claim to all assets which makes it difficult for other parties to prove ownership of items not paid for, apparently such a clause helps even when items are - like in your case - erroneously delivered. 

Way back I heard a story of a customer in London at a tack shop, who purchased about 20 000 pounds worth of horse gear. Then he drove off in his Rolls without paying.

The tack shop sent the bill to all their customers that owned a Rolls.

IIRC 20 different customers paid the account.

Many of the Automotive industry dealers in SA have a "clause" on their invoices which reads (maybe not verbatim) "Transfer of ownership of the goods depicted on this document will only be granted to the invoiced party once payment is received in full by the supplier. Until such confirmation is received ownership shall remain in the name of the supplier"  (Where supplier will be the dealers name)

Customers but parts etc on credit and then go bankrupt before settling the account.  When the landlord or bank or Revenue folk foreclose they then lay claim to all assets which makes it difficult for other parties to prove ownership of items not paid for, apparently such a clause helps even when items are - like in your case - erroneously delivered. 

That clause is problematic as it creates a problem with revenue recognition.

That clause is problematic as it creates a problem with revenue recognition.

​Elaborate please.  If I have an item and I sell that item and make a profit then surely I am liable for the tax (revenue) on both the profit and the VAT portion.  Whether I have paid the supplier or not is not in contention.

It does seem to pose a problem if company A sells to B and B goes belly-up and the goods are reclaimed by A in so far as VAT is concerned.

Effectively if ownership hasn't passed to the buyer there is no sale and you shouldn't reflect the income. Mainly to stop people reflecting fictious sales. 

I think the statement is correct, however it has been going on for a couple of years.  Effectively anything written on the invoice is subject to a court decision if and when challenged.

Many automotive workshops have a board on the wall which states a story about damage and theft etc.  Not worth the paper / sign it is written on.  If they damage my vehicle my insurance will not just shrug and pay...

It's covered by a couple of accounting principles. One of the things we have to thank Enron for.

• Like 1

My brother in law had several thousand pounds put in his account by mistake by the bank, I am not sure how much, but it was about 10 grand. he spent it with the assumption that it is his, he and my sister were lucky not to go to jail, they went to court etc and I do not know the final verdict, but I think the money has to be paid back and seen as they have no criminal records suspended.

The first thing he should have done is spend about a quarter of it on drugs and then hidden them in a warehouse rented under the name of the banks board of directors, that would have been fun.when he got caught and then implicated the bank in drug smuggling. :)

​So I decided to fess up to Dan Murphy's about their error. I today called their help line and spoke to Shane advising him that I had ordered and paid for $700 worth of champagne and received $1400 worth. I suggested to the lad that I was either happy to pay for the champagne or they could come and pick it up. He asked me if anyone had contacted me in the six weeks since the delivery. I said no and then he said keep it - it is a gift. Probably too much effort at his end sorting out the issue but my conscience is clear when I drink the stuff. All good then.

​So I decided to fess up to Dan Murphy's about their error. I today called their help line and spoke to Shane advising him that I had ordered and paid for $700 worth of champagne and received $1400 worth. I suggested to the lad that I was either happy to pay for the champagne or they could come and pick it up. He asked me if anyone had contacted me in the six weeks since the delivery. I said no and then he said keep it - it is a gift. Probably too much effort at his end sorting out the issue but my conscience is clear when I drink the stuff. All good then.

​I agree. You've done your best. Drink a bottle for me then 

:15_8_217:

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Denny
    Newest Member
    Denny