Sign in to follow this  
supersupporter

The mother of all flatpacks...

supersupporter    798

Next week I will be taking up the mother of all flat packs tasks, the flat pack product will take 2 x people 2 days to put together, the screws alone are about 4 kilos in weight, Instructions are 120 pages. Not a happy boy as I cannot do this now because we are away for the weekend and do not want to open all the boxes.

WP_20150603_002.jpg

WP_20150603_003.jpg

WP_20150603_004.jpg

Edited by supersupporter

Hawk_Eye    1,358

Good-luck!  Just make sure all the bolts are tight and the screws are (not) screwed!  

Looks like heaven if you are a kid though! 

supersupporter    798

He is gonna have so much fun, can't wait to get it all up and installed. I am pretty good with this type of thing, lay everything out and work orderly and follow instructions to a T and once done all the spares drive me crazy until I am aware that they sometimes give spares.

Ameroican product, it evens comes with videos to help the installation.

Docker    437

Looks like a six beer job.

Nothing worse than finishing an assembly and having bits left over.

• Like 1

J1M1    552

All dependent upon the weather of course................?

You're a brave man!!

supersupporter    798

weather wise you never know...it will be fun that is for sure, but Docker i would rather have spares then be short..being short of bolts etc drives me mad, because then yoiu end up having to stop and wait for the parts to be shipped.

WeDaFaKaWe    319

American you say.

Check carefully the kids may have first sign an indemnity form before they can play on it.

• Like 1

DbDraad    595

Looks like a six beer job.

Nothing worse than finishing an assembly and having bits left over.

You're very fuel efficient! 

Gen    310

yoh... you are brave, 

So have you started or is he still starting at the closed boxes.

supersupporter    798

Almost finished, I am busy with the slide now, that is a little slow, lots of bolts...But I tell you one thing, this is some clever design work.

Every single plank / part is numbered with a stamp and right throughout the installation these numbers are refrenced, not only that there is a DVD with about 80 individual videos highlighting each phase.

It is simply genius, whoever developed this entire process are pretty clever and I have never seen anything of this quality in the UK, no wonder, this is from Canada from what I have gathered.

Here are some pics taken yesterday, once I am done I will show you the finsished product.

10298789_10152823381656401_591688768961334263_n.jpg

10606044_10152823382551401_8776832903720367160_n.jpg

11393149_10152823382456401_1270161043167376428_n.jpg

11406868_10152823382591401_6063977796146083453_n.jpg

supersupporter    798

Well thankfully they do supply extras, lots of them..which was handy because many strip when screwing them in..so fortunatekly it is not one of those flat packs where they give you exactly what you need.

The heads however are ones I have never seen before, not star, flat, hex or torques but square ones..They did supply what I can ony assume was a tungsten bit because it never marked even when some screws stripped.

The quality of this thing and the wokmanship is just something good. It is refreshing to see and buy something where you can see where your money has gone instead of that Chinese junk.

10 year guarantee on the wood which is Cedar.

Edited by supersupporter

Hawk_Eye    1,358

The heads however are ones I have never seen before, not star, flat, hex or torques but square ones..They did supply what I can ony assume was a tungsten bit because it never marked even when some screws stripped.

The only ones I use for woodwork - I have ling since ditched all other types.

• Like 1

Docker    437

Well thankfully they do supply extras, lots of them..which was handy because many strip when screwing them in..so fortunatekly it is not one of those flat packs where they give you exactly what you need.

The quality of this thing and the wokmanship is just something good. It is refreshing to see and buy something where you can see where your money has gone instead of that Chinese junk.

10 year guarantee on the wood which is Cedar.

​Probably designed to withstand the Canadian winter.

Docker    437

I hope so Docker, because then it will definitely be OK here, but then again, here it is damp.

Most of the houses I have seen in Canada are wood or wood composites. Probably has something to do with the massive timber resource there but the brother, who lives there, tells me that brick and tile places are sale proof.

• Like 1

Docker    437

Is Canada damp like the UK in winter? or is it very dry, I knoiw they get a lot of snow.

​Depends where you live. Vancouver is pretty wet and gets little snow. The interior gets a lot of snow and is very cold. All the bums move to Vancouver because it is comparatively warmer.

• Like 1

supersupporter    798

I will treat it every year, last week I gave it a nice steak, next year perhaps it can have cereal... :)

Thanks, Hawkeye, I will be making sure it gets some sort of wood treatment.

DbDraad    595

That timber is probably already treated. You should try and find out what kind of product will work best with the existing stuff to rejuvenate the timber.

supersupporter    798

Yes it is already treated and it has a water relellant on the surface, but they do advise we contact our local supplier and find out what is best suited to maintain the wood, the one hawk suggests is for haed woods, so i have sent an email and asked.

DbDraad    595

It would have been ideal if the bottom could have been raised a wee bit above the grass by placing it on something solid like concrete paving. Even 50mm would be fine. That is a big investment and if looked after well, your grand-kids can still use it!:bounce:

• Like 1

supersupporter    798

Did consider it but they advised me that it should be placed on grass, compacted rubber or bark but not on top of any hard suface as the vibrating from kids jumping and playing will cause the wood to crack and reduce it's life.

My garden shed I placed omn concrete blocks as the water will fall straight through the blocks protecting the base of the shed.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Radiance Space
    Newest Member
    Radiance Space