Sign in to follow this  
Hawk_Eye

Ping Doctor Barnacle

Barnacle    511

FreeBSD is one of the best server operation systems specifically when it comes to web servers, etc.... Specifically because of the jails and their new file system ZFS. You can create a jail for each of the processes, which isolated that specific process from the rest of the server. If that part of the server is taken down by an "attack" the rest still functions and you just restart the jail.

FreeBSD is also the base for FreeNAS to use as a file server.

FreeBSD can also be used as desktop OS and is quite good too. The only problem I had with Free BSD in the past was the update process, as you had to do it through the "ports collection". Now the also have a "package system" which makes it easier.

We use NetBSD as gateway/file/mail server at the office and that is also an issue to update. But its a light OS and doesn't give much problems

For extreme security you can use OpenBSD, but it has compatibility issues with newer hardware.

It will however depend on your needs.

Desktop: My preferred OS is Debian Linux, which is the basis fo Kali, Ubuntu, Mint and a few others. It is however more stable and secure than most of the others. Also because it is more extensively tested, it is a little behind the others but the need to update is less.

Email and Gateway: NetBSD - Although you have to recompile the NetBSD kernel to enable it to act as gateway. Excellent documentation and guides.

OpenBSD: Gateway/Firewall: Most secure, but conservative in their approach. Security is the main feature. Not as bloated and uses very little resources.

FreeBSD: More support. More ideal for the desktop, but the documentation can be confusing at times. The advantage of jails. A desktop distribution based on FreeBSD is PCBSD, with the KDE desktop environment.

The OS's I use:

Old Laptop: Debian, but can swap the HD to run OpenBSD

Medium age laptops (2): Windows XP and Ubuntu(LTS)

Multimedia file server: Debian

Office PC: Ubuntu(LTS) only because its already been running on Ubuntu since about (2007), so all my set-ups are Ubuntu.... otherwise I'd switch to Debian. (I've had a few hardware upgrades, but merely copy the file system, as is, and start the new machine, with the old data that was transferred.)

Home entertainment machine: Windows 7 (busy testing Windows 10 in a virtual machine), but I also have VM's for Ubuntu(current), OpenBSD, PCBSD, NetBSD, Debian, Kali-Linux.

But it comes back to the question of what your needs are... The crap is with any *NIX based OS, that one is not sure before-hand whether the hardware is compatible with the specific *NIX flavour. For stability you actually need to buy the hardware based on the availability of the support in the OS.

Barnacle    511

Only saw this now on their front page:

"FreeBSD the platform of choice for many of the busiest web sites and most pervasive embedded networking and storage devices."

So they seem to agree with me.... :-P

Webserver and FreeNAS

Hawk_Eye    1,358

Thanks, that helps a lot - very detailed as per usual.  I am setting up a server and the only MS I have is server 2005 - to be fair it's a pain in the ass.  I have a machine with Kali on a SSD and that is amazing!  I will download and try - The server is an older one so it may just be the right thing to do.  

Guest TCFireman   
Guest TCFireman

Hell, that's confusing, glad it makes sense to you guys

What's with this double spacing when I type, it's irritating

taipan    1,433

Hell, that's confusing, glad it makes sense to you guys

What's with this double spacing when I type, it's irritating

I have the same on an iPad.

Hawk_Eye    1,358

I have the same on an iPad.

​Does it persist if you use an external blueteeth (sic) keyboard?  I have a suspicion it is the keyboard on the iPad doing it.  My tablet and Nextbook seem fine with emulating the edit-box.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Radiance Space
    Newest Member
    Radiance Space