Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hawk_Eye

Other Rugby Related News and Trivia

Recommended Posts

vlagman    950
46 minutes ago, DbDraad said:

Fleckie came later...way after Rassie left.

Try again. Don't pull an Ou Maaikie on me with this one. Fleck became asst coach in 2010. Rassie resigned from the Stormers in 2012.

This article was published on 10 Jan 2012:

 http://en.espn.co.uk/southafrica/rugby/story/157275.html

"Erasmus, who won 36 caps for South Africa between 1997 and 2001, informed the Western Province Rugby Union on Monday of his decision to quit after just over four years in the role."

And this one from the article announcing Fleck's appointment as head coach:

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN0TV09S20151212

The 40-year-old, an assistant coach for the franchise since 2010, has been acting as coaching co-ordinator since the departure of Australian coach Eddie Jones to England last month.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DbDraad    616
10 hours ago, vlagman said:

Try again. Don't pull an Ou Maaikie on me with this one. Fleck became asst coach in 2010. Rassie resigned from the Stormers in 2012.

This article was published on 10 Jan 2012:

 http://en.espn.co.uk/southafrica/rugby/story/157275.html

"Erasmus, who won 36 caps for South Africa between 1997 and 2001, informed the Western Province Rugby Union on Monday of his decision to quit after just over four years in the role."

And this one from the article announcing Fleck's appointment as head coach:

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKBN0TV09S20151212

The 40-year-old, an assistant coach for the franchise since 2010, has been acting as coaching co-ordinator since the departure of Australian coach Eddie Jones to England last month.

 

OK, so then my torture has been going on for longer than I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hawk_Eye    1,402
11 hours ago, vlagman said:

The only missing link is Fleckie. 

Nee, net nie dit nie...want dan's dit nie meer 'n Fleckelose (sic) span nie..  :36_11_6:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
J1M1    578

On current viewing we'd do a lot better if we named Mitchell as Bok manager.......with a "man-manager" to pick up the pieces of all the bruised egos & sensitive poster-boys..........

The AB's would NOT like that, neither would toetie & the politically connected posse of ponces.

We are rated 5th right now so what have we got to lose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vlagman    950
17 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

On current viewing we'd do a lot better if we named Mitchell as Bok manager.......with a "man-manager" to pick up the pieces of all the bruised egos & sensitive poster-boys..........

The AB's would NOT like that, neither would toetie & the politically connected posse of ponces.

We are rated 5th right now so what have we got to lose?

Nee. Se moer. Don't rape the Bulls of coaching staff again, FFS!!!!!

:bounce:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
J1M1    578
59 minutes ago, vlagman said:

Nee. Se moer. Don't rape the Bulls of coaching staff again, FFS!!!!!

:bounce:

it's a defensive strategy..........:36_11_6:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vlagman    950
1 minute ago, J1M1 said:

it's a defensive strategy..........:36_11_6:

Jaaaa swaer. I though so. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
J1M1    578

So......the Lions - played 12 won 6 - 3rd on the C/Cup log & the Bulls - played 12 won 5, 4th on the log...........

Is it just me or does this somehow feel wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taipan    1,494
23 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

So......the Lions - played 12 won 6 - 3rd on the C/Cup log & the Bulls - played 12 won 5, 4th on the log...........

Is it just me or does this somehow feel wrong?

In what way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
J1M1    578
25 minutes ago, taipan said:

In what way?

We only won 50% of our games and we still end up 3rd on the log & the Bulls won 40% to end 4th...............?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vlagman    950
17 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

We only won 50% of our games and we still end up 3rd on the log & the Bulls won 40% to end 4th...............?

What % did those lower down win? You might find that the Bulls and the Lions were just less kak than the rest. You don't need to be great in a competition like this. You just need to be slightly better than the rest and then do your thing in the playoffs and the final if you reach that. 

Remember how the Bulls came back from 4th on the final log to win then S14 that one year? 2007, it was. Not so Stu?

Edited by vlagman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
J1M1    578
4 minutes ago, vlagman said:

What % did those lower down win?

Actually, the Cheetahs won 50% but lost out due to goal difference. The other two, won 4 games - 25 %......but that's not the point.

somehow winning 50% and being 3rd just don't feel right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taipan    1,494
3 minutes ago, vlagman said:

What % did those lower down win?

The unlucky ones were the Cheetahs with 6 wins.

In a 7 team league 50% win ratio will put you mid table which is where the Lions and Bulls were.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hawk_Eye    1,402
1 hour ago, J1M1 said:

Actually, the Cheetahs won 50% but lost out due to goal difference. The other two, won 4 games - 25 %......but that's not the point.

somehow winning 50% and being 3rd just don't feel right.

Well, in a country where 30% in maths is sufficient for you to go and study medicine - sponsored by the government nogal - how can that be wrong.. (sarc)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hawk_Eye    1,402

Cape Town - Springbok and Bath flank Francois Louwcould be slapped with a lengthy ban if found guilty of foul play.

According to SkySports, Louw has been cited for allegedly making contact with the eye area of Marco Fuser during Bath's European Champions Cup win over Treviso at the weekend.

The incident is alleged to have occurred in the 77th minute of Bath's 23-0 victory and Louw has been ordered to attend an independent disciplinary hearing in London on Wednesday (watch the incident in the tweet below).

The low-end entry point for a player who admits, or is found guilty of eye gouging is four weeks, with the mid-range at eight weeks and top end 12 weeks plus.

A lengthy ban could see Louw miss out on the Springboks’ year-end tour to Europe.

This is not the first time Louw has been linked to alleged eye gouging while playing for Bath.

In May last year, he also appeared before a disciplinary hearing after an incident involving Courtney Lawes during Bath's defeat to Northampton, but on that occasion he was found not guilty.

The 32-year-old Louw joined the English club from the Stormers in 2011. He boasts 54 Tests caps for the Springboks since making his debut in 2010.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/bok-flank-cited-for-alleged-eye-gouging-20171017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hawk_Eye    1,402

I see Juan Smith finally called it a day..

 

Cape Town - Former Springbok flank Juan Smith is set to retire from all forms of rugby.

After spending four years at French giants Toulon, Smith was earlier this year lured to Japanese club Toyota Verblitz, who is coached by ex-Springbok coach Jake White.

Smith, 36, recently said he was enjoying his time in Japan and hinted at extending his contract by a season.

However, Verblitz announced on Wednesday that Smith will play his final game this weekend.

“We would like to announce that Juan Smith is unable to continue playing rugby in Top League, due to family reasons,” the club said via a press statement.

“After discussing the situation with Juan and the team’s managerial members, it is very regrettable to announce that the match against TL 9 Toyota Shokki Shuttles will be Juan's last match in his rugby playing career.

“We apologise to our supporters for this announcement. However, we thank you for your understanding.”

Smith also commented: “I am disappointed to announce that I am going to retire from my rugby career after the match against Toyota Shokki Shuttles.

“I was going to carry on my rugby playing career with my coach Jake White, however, I would like to say thank you to all my team-mates, coaching staff at Toyota Verblitz. Also to all my supporters and family members, too.

“I was looking forward to winning the championship with my team-mates, however, this was a decision which had to be decided on.

“I am wishing that the Toyota Verblitz team plays well in the competitions, and I hope that I’m able to support the team from my end as much as I can as a Toyota family member.

“Thank you very much for having me even though it was only for a short period of time.
Good luck.”

Before heading to France in 2013, Smith played nine years for the Cheetahs.

He also played 70 Tests for the Springboks between 2003 and 2014.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vlagman    950

We have Mata and Taip doing the tango on the other thread and next week we will have the Bulls and the Lions doing the Jukskei Vastrap. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Forum Statistics

    11,419
    Total Topics
    386,236
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    43
    Total Members
    2,160
    Most Online
    Rudi
    Newest Member
    Rudi
    Joined
×