Sign in to follow this  
Arlecchino

Armchair selectors & SPRINGBOK News

I am sure Moz, Dave or Beens would by now have started one of their favourite things which used to be a poll about who the Bok flyhalf is going to be. Who will be Coetzee's "man/captain"?

barlee asked me about my choice of backline players citing the form of Venter the Cheetahs captain and Lionel Mapoe the Lions "centre".

Mapoe couldn't pass the salt or tackle a rice pudding but is Venter up to this level? I think he might be but one thing stands against him - he is white. Racism has returned to sport selections just as badly as if B.J. Vorster were in power.

I expect Coetzee to pick Juan de Jongh as his captain, Jantjies as his flyhalf and Kolbe at fullback.

What struck me about de Jongh was his inability to step up to the pace of the game when called into the Barbarians team last year. he was clearly out of his depth. The same will happen to the others mentioned.

I recall about three seasons ago a much underrated Natal team (coached by Brendan Venter) giving WP a lesson in how to play Cup Rugby at Newlands. Charl McLeod was outstanding as was the Natal pack. Little Kolbe was chucked about like a rag doll and the only player who looked the part wearing the famous 'Streeptrui" was Damian de Allende.

Ireland will bring a group of men. Coetzee will not get away with putting out a team of boys. The key for me is the Bok pack. We have a core of the tight five and supported by players like Duane Vermeulen and Francois Louw who know their way around the rugby field. Add to this a couple of halfbacks who know how to play at this level and we might get out of this alive. I would therefore pick Lambie to play with either Paige or Pienaar. The reason for thinking of the latter is that he plays against the Irish week in and week out and although they know him well, they do not know how he will play with a really good flyhalf.

Coetzee should pick the core that went to RWC 2015 and over the next two years begin to model his own team. Pick a brand new team and we could get 50 against us in the first test at Newlands.

Anybody but Pienaar please :) 

Don't care if he wants to pick up Kolbe as scrumhalf but not Pienaar... 

Hard time to be a Springbok Coach with most of the teams blowing hot & cold each week. 

I don't even know who I would pick. 

As long as I don't see Pienaar I am a happy man. 

• Like 1

So which of the tight five would be the core? Bissie, Jannie and Beast as the front row? The locks more or less pick themselves. Not arguing with Flo and Vermeulen but Schalk must be put out to grass.

Totally against Pienaar. He might play against the Irish every week but that is in Irish conditions. I think he will pullwhoever plays flyhalf with him down to his level as he has done so often in the past.

unfortunately the quota will have to accommodated in the backs, so have no clue what will happen.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Boudjelal is trying to throw a spanner in Duane's and Suutjiespoep's works. He has said that if he has to release him, he will not pay him.

There used to be and amicable relationship with Boudjelal in the past. He had no issue with releasing Habana and the Boks allowed Habana a stopover en route from Arg to Down-under, for a cameo off the bench. That was i the year when Habana signed for Toulon. Wonder what went wrong since then.

Edited by vlagman

23 minutes ago, vlagman said:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Boudjelal is trying to throw a spanner in Duane's and Suutjiespoep's works. He has said that if he has to release him, he will not pay him.

There used to be and amicable relationship with Boudjelal in the past. He had no issue with releasing Habana and the Boks allowed Habana a stopover en route from Arg to Down-under, for a cameo off the bench. That was i the year when Habana signed for Toulon. Wonder what went wrong since then.

Is the Irish series outside the window?

That stupid Frenchman should rather shut his trap. As it is his side are not that impressive so anyone who they lose could very well help them.

Plus do we really need those players who up and left? I think there is enough cover if the prick did get his own way.

I would like to see if Faf de Klerk can make the step up. I don't recall him ever letting a side down. Please not Pienaar.

• Like 1

His side is actually still impressive, Barlee. Many sides that go through a rebuild face, like Toulon has been forced into would have dropped into the middle to lower part of the log. They are still very much in contention for the title. 

Having said that, I have some sympathy with him. Remember that he is not the only one who is fairly pissed off. Only difference is that he is one of the few who have the balls to say it. 

These clubs pour millions into their players and they run the risk and "pay the penalties" for injuries. Not the national sides. When a national player gets sidelined through injury, the next player gets his spot. The club, though, have to accept that they will have to carry the player through recovery and rehab and all they get from the national side is: "Fok. Sorry". 

@Arlecchino Boudjelal has not refused to release him. He just said that he was not going to pay him (and other national players, TBH), while he is away on national duty. 

I believe that the crux of the problem lies with the French Rugby Federation. Many coaches have been pissed off at them. 

If one looks at the French club scene, they have a Top 14 as opposed to the RFU who have 12 in the top division.

The English season is almost done just finals to play. 

Team                         P  W  D  L        Pts

1Clermont Auvergne 24 17 1   6        75

2Montpellier              24 17 0   7        70

3Racing Metro 92     24 16 1   7        69

4Toulon                    24 15 0   9        67

5Toulouse                24  14 2  8        65

6Bordeaux Begles    24  13 2  9        61

Bordeaux are probably gone but the others have a chance for playoffs.

So Round 25 which starts on the 27th May is then followed by Round 26 which is followed by Barrages, Semis and Final. So you see that there is still another 5 weekends of rugby to play. Whose fault is that? Not WR or the French Clubs! It is the FFR who screw things around and make things awkward. That said of course the International Window last year was in August.

If the French looked at a calender every now and then and also trimmed their league (Agen and US Oyonnax are crap, the two above not much better) their season would be better. 

So somewhere someone has to talk to someone else. 

True that about the Top14 having 14 sides but that is another of the issues that Boudjelal has. He wants to see it changed to 12 sides. As I said, he opens his mouth and says what all the others are thinking. He may seem an arrogant prick but he has his heart and his soul in his club. He is a Toulon local boytjie and he has, when he became President of the club, poured his heart - and his own private funds - into the club. He paid the likes of Tana Umaga, et al, out of his pocket until the club could survive on their won. It was his initiative and his money who put the club in the top league. 

BTW. There are actually 12 sides in the Premiership.

Ja Flag that is why I originally pointed to the bottom two clubs in France and then I changed the post to also mention the clubs not named. Tks fixed.

France could have 10 as could the Aviva. Newcastle will battle next season and so will Bristol. Irish gone for now and Worcester Warriors had to do a late "thumb in the dike" to stay out of jail - Hougaard.

Certainly in France it would help all round with TV commitments and money as well as the fixture log. Their extended season is mad.

Goosen hasn't been the first choice, or even second choice, flyhalf at RM for ages. He has mainly been used at 15 and even at 13 in recent times.

4 minutes ago, Hawk_Eye said:

I will - I am watching the Lions eat red-meat by the tuck load- Eina!

I think Owen has left the room.

1 minute ago, taipan said:

I think Owen has left the room.

And Mata is posting music videos.. Vlag I believe is rubbing his shit in his hair somewhere in a secluded hide-out. - Go figure!

26 minutes ago, Hawk_Eye said:

And Mata is posting music videos.. Vlag I believe is rubbing his shit in his hair somewhere in a secluded hide-out. - Go figure!

Music (and wine, lots of it) solves all problems including the rugby related ones...better than shit in the hair ne? :36_11_6:

At least the Sharks supporters will feel 'better' now hey Stu?

Edited by Mata Hari
  • Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Denny
    Newest Member
    Denny