Sign in to follow this  
Arlecchino

Armchair selectors & SPRINGBOK News

27 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

and last year the A side only lost 2 games I think, Boks lost more :)

Fuck, you almost had me there. :36_11_6:

• Like 1

Saru ethics take glint off Rassie hire - Luke Feltham M & G 09 Mar 2018

No one can legitimately predict where South African rugby is going.

It’s always been the country’s most polarising sport, so there’s no justified surprise to be had in the latest divisive public clamour. Poor on-field results, an unceasing battle with transformation and a body seemingly uneager to embrace transparency have left many fans disillusioned with what the future holds.

National rugby’s worst-kept secret is a cliché that’s been bandied about in news articles with reckless abandon ever since Rassie Erasmus’s appointment as national director of rugby in November. Which doesn’t make it any less true.

Just ask Allister Coetzee. In January, Toetie’s now-infamous letter to South African Rugby Union (Saru) chief executive Jurie Roux was leaked by the Sunday Times. No doubt teetering on the precipice at the time, he accused the organisation of setting out to undermine him and sully his reputation from day one.

Coetzee endured a torrid record with the national side. Of the 25 matches for which he was at the helm, he managed a measly 11 wins and two draws to give him a 44% win record. He, however, laid the disaster firmly at the feet of the board.

According to him, the plan all along, especially post-November, was to have Erasmus assume his position. Coetzee predicted that he, as Springbok coach, would be reduced to a ceremonial role.

When Erasmus was officially unveiled as the new Bok coach on Thursday, some rejoiced over what they viewed as the correct turn-off towards the redemption of South African rugby. Others gave credit to the new coach’s apparent open-mindedness to tackle the problems endemic in the sport head on.

For Graeme Joffe, the questions of ability are secondary for the moment. The self-exiled journo caused a stir on Twitter when he posted “10 questions for Rassie Erasmus”. At the core of the list is the relationship between the new appointee and the bosses.

“This is the major problem and should be fully investigated,” Joffe told the Mail & Guardian.

“How Rassie was appointed, the ethics, integrity of Saru, as well as the conflict of interests. Saru [chief executive] Jurie Roux and Rassie are very close friends and have business interests together along with their personal and Saru lawyer, Frikkie Erasmus.”

Asked to comment, Saru said: “The reports are inaccurate and false - the same process was applied as it has been historically — the individual believed to be the best candidate was appointed by the executive council who in terms of the constitution appoints the national coach.”

Erasmus’s contract, at the very least, stands apart from other recent hirings. He has been given a six-year contract, which theoretically puts him on a plane to next year’s World Cup in Japan and to France in 2023. Not only will he be flying as coach, but as director of rugby as well.

Ex-Springbok coach Jake White added to the speculation about Erasmus’s sweetheart deal in a blog on All Out Rugby: “In this game, if you can take a job where the board wants you, the [chief executive] is your mate and you get everything you ask for; it’s like you’ve died and gone to heaven. It doesn’t get better than that.”

“I’m sure I’m not alone when I say I’m very jealous — Allister Coetzee, Nick Mallett, Rudolf Straeuli and Ian McIntosh must feel the same way.”

Erasmus, meanwhile, has dismissed the significance of the length of his contract. On Tuesday, he told Sandile van Heerden on Kaya FM that he wouldn’t expect to last the full term if he didn’t deliver results.

“People must realise that six years is definitely not what I’m guaranteed in this position,” he said. “Like all others that have coached the Springboks, if you don’t get results you’ll definitely be out of your position fairly quickly. You’ll have to ask the leadership, but I think the six years is more to secure continuity from their position.”

When asked whether he had “businesses” with Saru, Erasmus replied with a firm: “No, not at all.”

Saru, meanwhile, would not reveal the performance targets in his contract, saying employer-employee matters are confidential.

I am telling you, all of these gurus are there to teach Stick how to do the job, Stick will be the coach for the next Lions tour to SA. 

• Sad 1

Does this oak (sic) never keep his nose where his own business is?

Jake urges Rassie to pick predominantly black side to face Wales

Cape Town - Jake White says Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus should pick a predominantly black Bok team to face Wales in Washington DC.

The Boks will open their 2018 season with a Test in the US capital city on June 2, before returning to South Africa to face England in a three-Test series the following weekend.

The first Test against England is scheduled for June 9 at Ellis Park in Johannesburg, with Tests in Bloemfontein (Free State Stadium, June 16) and Cape Town (Newlands, June 23) to follow.

Due to the short turnaround, White believes Erasmus should select two different teams for the Wales clash and the first match against England.

White, who coached the Springboks to Rugby World Cup glory in 2007, believes the Welsh Test could be used to help meet the team's transformation targets.

Via a column for the All Out Rugby website, White picked a Springbok starting XV made up predominantly of players of colour for the Washington showdown.

"If I was the Bok coach, I’d look to pick a team against Wales that is made up of local players with a special emphasis on those that count towards the transformation targets," White wrote.

"Siya Kolisi would potentially captain a side that featured Tendai Mtawarira, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Trevor Nyakane, Marvin Orie, Lood de Jager, Thembelani Bholi, Nizaam Carr, Embrose Papier, Damian Willemse, Raymond Rhule, Damian de Allende, Lionel Mapoe, Ruan Combrinck and Warrick Gelant."

White added: "This team would serve the dual purpose of banking transformation credits to create selection breathing room for the England series, and would also give all of these players a chance to put their hand up on the international stage. Some people might see this as a throwaway selection but I would pick this team to win based on the fact that these players are good enough to battle the best of Australia and New Zealand almost every week during Super Rugby."

White also picked a team he felt should start against England at Ellis Park.

Ja, well, nou fine....:kiss-my-ass:

• Haha 1

I've done a one week US visit before - you're seriously stuffed when you get back.

• Like 1

That then makes you think, what genius thought this would be a good idea, these men travel between NZ, Arg, Oz, Japan and now send them to the USA only to go back a week later.

9 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

That then makes you think, what genius thought this would be a good idea, these men travel between NZ, Arg, Oz, Japan and now send them to the USA only to go back a week later.

There's a clear sign of someone tuned into radio WIIFM (What's In It For Me)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hawk_Eye said:

"If I was the Bok coach, I’d look to pick a team against Wales that is made up of local players with a special emphasis on those that count towards the transformation targets," White wrote.

"Siya Kolisi would potentially captain a side that featured Tendai Mtawarira, Chiliboy Ralepelle, Trevor Nyakane, Marvin Orie, Lood de Jager, Thembelani Bholi, Nizaam Carr, Embrose Papier, Damian Willemse, Raymond Rhule, Damian de Allende, Lionel Mapoe, Ruan Combrinck and Warrick Gelant."

Are these guys sure that it was Jake that they were talking to and not Saffex?

• Haha 1

I have just read that to meet the quota you have to get x amount of minutes from black players, so what Jake is doing is getting 80 minutes x 15 players all in one test. 1200 minutes in one test meeting half the quota required for the 4 test matches in June. That way he only needs another 1200 minutes in 3 tests.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

I have just read that to meet the quota you have to get x amount of minutes from black players, so what Jake is doing is getting 80 minutes x 15 players all in one test. 1200 minutes in one test meeting half the quota required for the 4 test matches in June. That way he only needs another 1200 minutes in 3 tests.

Technical - they also have a rule about the amount of and mix of players on the field at all times.  It's a fuckup.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Lood is Black???

"predominantly black..."

It's a silly idea to be fair.  Did the old IRB not ban SA because they picked only white players - now it is the same but now it is OK?

Pick a player based solely on merit!

56 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

He is getting confused with the cricket rule.

10 minutes ago, Hawk_Eye said:

"predominantly black..."

It's a silly idea to be fair.  Did the old IRB not ban SA because they picked only white players - now it is the same but now it is OK?

Pick a player based solely on merit!

The big difference and the reason why they get away with it is they are not preventing white players, they are still allowing white but also forcing more black..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlagman said:

Are these guys sure that it was Jake that they were talking to and not Saffex?

Probably not Saffex, as he would have included Nkyanane, Nkayane, Nkanayane, or even Nkyanyane but definitely not Nyakane...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

The big difference and the reason why they get away with it is they are not preventing white players, they are still allowing white but also forcing more black..

What is new in today’s world? A Muslim may kill whites and Christians and say what they want against them but you and I may not get on a soap box and say a word against a Muslim or Islam. You may have organisations exclusively for black but not for whites. You may make kak jokes about men but don’t you dare say anything about women. You may burn the Union Flag on Trafalgar Square but don’t you dare burn a flag of a Muslim country, etc, etc, etc. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Probably not Saffex, as he would have included Nkyanane, Nkayane, Nkanayane, or even Nkyanyane but definitely not Nyakane...

Point taken. :36_11_6: 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vlagman said:

Point taken. :36_11_6: 

The other "oak" would have included Solly and Tyibilika ...(RIP)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke