Sign in to follow this  
Arlecchino

Armchair selectors & SPRINGBOK News

Mata Hari    503

New Springbok coach Allister Coetzee has named 9 uncapped players in a 31-man squad for next month’s Test series against Ireland

They are G April, R Combrinck, F de Klerk, N Groom, S Kitshoff, Jaco Kriel, B Mbonambi, S Notshe & S Ntubeni

The squad consists of 9 Stormers, 7 Lions, 6 Sharks, 5 Bulls, 3 players based in Europe and 1 player from the Cheetahs

Forwards: L de Jager, PS du Toit, E Etzebeth, S Kitshoff, S Kolisi, Jaco Kriel, F Louw, F Malherbe, B Mbonambi

Forwards: T Mtawarira, S Notshe, S Ntubeni, T Nyakane, J Redelinghuys, A Strauss, D Vermeulen & W Whiteley

Backs: G April, R Combrinck, D de Allende, F de Klerk, N Groom, E Jantjies, Jesse Kriel

Backs: P Lambie, W le Roux, L Mapoe, L Mvovo, R Paige, JP Pietersen & J Serfontein

courtesy Supersport

Hawk_Eye    1,453

No real surprises - except for me the red head boy Kitshoff.. The rest makes logical sense taking cognisance of the task Coetzee has in order to dance to the ANC tune.

Hawk_Eye    1,453

hey are G April, R Combrinck, F de Klerk, N Groom, S Kitshoff, Jaco Kriel, B Mbonambi, S Notshe & S Ntubeni

The squad consists of 9 Stormers, 7 Lions, 6 Sharks, 5 Bulls, 3 players based in Europe and 1 player from the Cheetahs

Forwards: L de Jager, PS du Toit, E Etzebeth, S Kitshoff, S Kolisi, Jaco Kriel, F Louw, F Malherbe, B Mbonambi

Forwards: T Mtawarira, S Notshe, S Ntubeni, T Nyakane, J Redelinghuys, A Strauss, D Vermeulen & W Whiteley

Backs: G April, R Combrinck, D de Allende, F de Klerk, N Groom, E Jantjies, Jesse Kriel

Backs: P Lambie, W le Roux, L Mapoe, L Mvovo, R Paige, JP Pietersen & J Serfontein

courtesy Supersport

Hawk_Eye    1,453
1 minute ago, taipan said:

Seems to be a lot of Stormers.

LOL if Schalk was not injured you'd have another one..

taipan    1,576
4 minutes ago, Hawk_Eye said:

LOL if Schalk was not injured you'd have another one..

Effectively Kitshof and Vermeulen are Stormers as well.

Hawk_Eye    1,453
1 minute ago, taipan said:

Effectively Kitshof and Vermeulen are Stormers as well.

True! - that makes it 11 Stomers. But, in his defence he selected 7 Lions where previously the selections were .....

Hawk_Eye    1,453

25.8% = Black

12.9% = Coloured

61.3 = White

Hawk_Eye    1,453
10 minutes ago, taipan said:

The good news is that we have finally got rid of Bissie and Jannie

And Haveabanana is also out..

taipan    1,576
2 minutes ago, Hawk_Eye said:

25.8% = Black

12.9% = Coloured

61.3 = White

JP?

Barnacle    548

You can select a reasonably good starting lineup out of this group of players, but that specific group is STILL going to look very white... And that is where it is going to end. At the starting lineup.

Interestingly all of the press and commentators agreed with the squad , while one could see the shock on their faces and all of them gritting their teeth while lying in agreement. It's the new South African thing now. Everyone is afraid to speak their mind, because they are afraid they will be branded as "racist". The possible starting team can be good, but the squad is crap!!!!

Quota players

• S Kolisi
  • B Mbonambi
  • S Notshe
  • S Ntubeni
  • G April
  • L Mvovo
  • R Paige
  • JP Pietersen

WP quota player

• N Groom

In each of these position you will find better players, not necessarily white, but definitely better. A number of other were also not selected on form, like A Strauss, Jan Serfontein, Jesse Kriel and Lood de Jager. About half of the squad is selected based on colour or reputation ONLY.

And you can probably add another quota based on the three looseheads chosen.You can now also change the "Springboks" to the "Proteas", as this is the way the team is heading.

They also think they are going to stop the player EXODUS. But this team is a clear indication to many players that if they ever want the chance to play international rugby in certain positions, it is best that they compete on an equal footing in other countries for their national squad/s. Add to that the value of the rand, as it is currently and its probable future value and it indicates that NOW is the ideal time to leave...

As a side-"joke"... I read in the paper this morning that if Jantjies is not going to recover in time Morne Steyn might be called up....

taipan    1,576

I agree on the commentators Mallett was particularly quiet. In addition to being branded racists they will also lose their commentating jobs if they speak out. Ask the likes of Pat Symcox.

Hawk_Eye    1,453
5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

As a side-"joke"... I read in the paper this morning that if Jantjies is not going to recover in time Morne Steyn might be called up....

Jokes have a funny tenancy to become reality..

We are sitting with Lambie - good but injury prone.  What happens if he is injured?  Do we then make a "Gaffie" out of Garth April?  The kid is good but his escalation from school, club to Super and then International is way to quick.  I am not a big supporter of the theory "if you're good enough you are old enough" - 

As for commenting on the composition of the team: - We all knew from day one that there will be radical inclusions and exclusions from the team.  For a commentator to voice his disapproval would be fatal and will never change the squad.  So why risk the unsolvable - go with the flow. 

vlagman    988
5 hours ago, Hawk_Eye said:

Jokes have a funny tenancy to become reality..

We are sitting with Lambie - good but injury prone.  What happens if he is injured?  Do we then make a "Gaffie" out of Garth April?  The kid is good but his escalation from school, club to Super and then International is way to quick.  I am not a big supporter of the theory "if you're good enough you are old enough" - 

As for commenting on the composition of the team: - We all knew from day one that there will be radical inclusions and exclusions from the team.  For a commentator to voice his disapproval would be fatal and will never change the squad.  So why risk the unsolvable - go with the flow. 

Ons fokken leer nie. Gaffie, Derick Hougaard, Lambie, Jantjies, Goosen, Pollard...... and now April.

Edited by vlagman
  • Like 2

Hawk_Eye    1,453

OK so I was very, very wrong!

Cape Town - Adriaan Strauss will become the 57thSpringbok captain after the Vodacom Bulls hooker was named to lead South Africa in the Castle Lager Incoming Series against Ireland, which starts on 11 June in Cape Town.

Springbok coach, Allister Coetzee, made the announcement on Monday afternoon in Stellenbosch, where the Boks are preparing for the first Test.

The popular Strauss hooker follows in the footsteps of long-serving Springbok captain, Jean de Villiers as well as Victor Matfield, Schalk Burger and Fourie du Preez.

Coetzee said he decided to appoint the captain before the first training session.

“Adriaan’s leadership qualities are impressive and well-established and he has the respect of his team mates on and off the field,” said Springbok coach Allister Coetzee.

“He enjoys the respect of all the players and he has always fulfilled a leadership role wherever he played, since coming through the junior national structures.

“Adriaan has shared the vice-captaincy role with Bismarck du Plessis for the Springboks and is also a former Toyota Cheetahs skipper and current Vodacom Bulls captain.

“I have no doubt he will be successful in his role as Springbok captain, which is a huge responsibility,” added Coetzee.

Coetzee further explained that Strauss will have a strong leadership group around him to support him in his role to lead the Springboks in the coming Castle Lager Incoming Series against Ireland.

“Adriaan is blessed with a strong leadership core around him consisting of Patrick Lambie, Warren Whiteley, Frans Malherbe, Beast Mtawarira, Duane Vermeulen and Francois Louw,” said Coetzee.

“I have been impressed with him in my interactions with him and I have the utmost faith in him.”

Strauss said he was humbled by the trust and confidence shown in him by Coetzee.

“I am very grateful to the coach for entrusting me with this enormous responsibility,” said Strauss.

“I am incredibly humbled by this huge honour and also excited about the role. It is not everyone that get the opportunity to lead the Springboks, so I consider myself very blessed indeed. I shall do my very best to justify the trust shown in me.

“I am also very fortunate that I will be able to lean on the assistance of a great leadership group within the squad. There’s a fantastic energy in the squad, but the hard work starts now.”

The 30-year old hooker, who was born in Bloemfontein, has played 54 Tests matches for South Africa since making his debut in 2008, scoring six tries to date. He also presented the Springboks at the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England, where he earned his 50th Test cap against Samoa.

He became the 800th Springbok when he was called up to do duty in the 2008 Castle Lager Rugby Championship, making his debut on 19 July 2008 against Australia in Perth aged just 22-years old. He has played in a total of 57 Springbok matches, including three non-Tests.

In 2012 and 2013, Strauss shared the vice-captaincy with Du Plessis. He is a very strong and experienced hooker and respected leader in the South Africa game.

Strauss has amassed 130 Vodacom Super Rugby caps for the Toyota Cheetahs and the Vodacom Bulls. The former Grey College hooker represented the SA Schools in 2003, SA Under-19 (2004) and SA U21 (in 2005, when they won the IRB U21 competition in Argentina, as well as 2006). He made his senior debut for the Vodacom Bulls in 2006, before joining the Toyota Cheetahs the following year. He re-joined the ranks of the Pretoria side in 2015.

Adriaan Strauss – Brief biography:

Height: 1.84m

Weight: 114kg

Date of birth: 18 November 1985 in Bloemfontein

Provincial Union: Vodacom Blue Bulls (previously the Toyota Free State Cheetahs)

Test debut: 19 July 2008 vs Australia in Perth aged 22

Test caps: 54

Tour matches: 3

Test points: 30 (6 tries)

DbDraad    660
40 minutes ago, taipan said:

The only obvious choice.

Obvious for some, obvious wrong choice for others...yeah, I know there will always be neigh sayers,  and this time I'm one. Not really an inspiring Bok captain IMO, but at least Beeno seems to agree with you.

vlagman    988

Most of the players in the squad are there by default. So why not the captain as well. FFS. Even the coach is there by default. 

DbDraad    660
2 minutes ago, vlagman said:

Most of the players in the squad are there by default. So why not the captain as well. FFS. Even the coach is there by default. 

Fair point, but I like to set higher standards than default. Obviously we were left with what's left be default by SARU's brilliant planning.

vlagman    988
3 minutes ago, DbDraad said:

Fair point, but I like to set higher standards than default. Obviously we were left with what's left be default by SARU's brilliant planning.

Djy soek wors in 'n honnehok as djy dai goete by SARU soek ou pêllie.

taipan    1,576
11 minutes ago, DbDraad said:

Obvious for some, obvious wrong choice for others...yeah, I know there will always be neigh sayers,  and this time I'm one. Not really an inspiring Bok captain IMO, but at least Beeno seems to agree with you.

It's simple. The captain has to be SA based. None of the other franchise captains are guaranteed starters. 

Having said aid that he should have got the job 4 years back but for some reason we fucked around with Jean de Villiers who should even have been in the team. Not sure he is the correct choice now. 

So who should be captain?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    sharleen
    Newest Member
    sharleen