Sign in to follow this  
Hawk_Eye

4 Nation International Rugby

Hawk_Eye    1,453

You cannot believe that there are folk who selected Australia to win against New Zealand - Half time 32 / 3 NZ

{{Scientists say the universe is made up of: protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons.}}

Chaotic    170

Question: In the Lions quater & semi final that they played the Crusaders & Highlanders when Jantjies was under pressure they used Combrick to kick. 

In the Final and the last test. This didn't happen and Jantjies looked like he had no idea what he was doing... 

Why would they have changed that tactic? Using Combrick & Goosen is just smart rugby will keep the other people guessing... 

Anyway.. About the game on the weekend... 

Beast ( was he on the field other then the scrums? ) 

Strauss ( Not the best we have ) 

Eben ( Good in line outs didn't play to bad. But went missing here and there ) 

Lood ( Tackled well. Stopped the argies in their tracks and took them back, ) 

Louw ( Penalty ) 

Oupa ( Defended well stopped a couple of tries with hes defense. ) 

Whiteley ( was kind of mia in the game ) 

Faf ( Played poorly, he got MoM just because they didn't know who to pick. Can think of 7 argies players that deserve it more. )

Jantjies ( Poor, and not even saying sorry for kicking hes captain against the head ) 

De Allende ( Can't tackle but he passed the first time in 2 years ) 

Mapoe ( Yeah, just score the try ) 

Banana ( Fastest camera guy on the field ) 

Combrick ( Was confused most of the time, did well to score the try ) 

Goosen ( Played poorly, did something here and there that was good, but needs help with the high ball ) 

Coach ( I miss PDV ) 

Arlecchino    503

I took two pages of notes during the game and shudder to post them here. I do this mostly to assuage my frustration and also just to be an analyst rather than a critic.

I read them yesterday and the overarching theme was of indecisiveness. 

It looked like an old style game where the coach has said to the players, "you all know how to play rugby just go out there and enjoy yourselves".

I cannot precisely say what they (the Boks) set out to do.

taipan    1,576

Added to a lack of leadership on the field. I am not sure whether the captaincy has affected Strauss's game or vice versa. Either way it is a problem area.

Also it appears that AC is loath to sub Strauss which probably reflects a lack of faith in Bongi.

• Like 1

Chaotic    170
3 minutes ago, taipan said:

Added to a lack of leadership on the field. I am not sure whether the captaincy has affected Strauss's game or vice versa. Either way it is a problem area.

Also it appears that AC is loath to sub Strauss which probably reflects a lack of faith in Bongi.

It seems more like Whitely is taking leadership on the field. 

He calls everyone together and have speeches. 

• Like 1

taipan    1,576
9 minutes ago, Chaotic said:

Exactly. Now we are going back to the Jean de Villiers captaincy. He wasn't good enough to be on the field and Heyneke Meyer didn't have the balls to make the hard call

• Like 2

supersupporter    881
1 hour ago, Chaotic said:

I saw that too....Good for him...as long as he does not take clearance kciks anymore.. Fok I kakked myself I can only imagine his relief when he regained and ran into touch...was funny though..

:36_11_6:

supersupporter    881

F.Louw for me is a liability and needs to be dropped. I do not recall him turning over one ball and i thought that was his job, all he does is fall over the ball and give away points.

I would rather have Kriel who has so much more to offer, and then if Whiteley was captain, Marx is a very good pilferer of the ball.

• Like 3

Arlecchino    503

Pity about Trevor Nyakane, he too is great at the breakdown. Prefer him to Mtawarira. Give Ox-in-chair a season or so and he will be a shoe-in.

Agree about Louw, No idea where Coetzee is either. The Pro 12 only starts in a couple of weeks and I doubt if he is in Ireland yet.

Hawk_Eye    1,453

Johannesburg - Springbok Faf de Klerk admitted he was a “frustrated” man after Saturday’s 30-23 win over Argentina in Nelspruit, especially as the South Americans had been allowed to play negatively and slow the ball down with ease.

According to the SuperSport website, De Klerk sparked the comeback as the Boks scored 17 points in 9 minutes to win the test, and was man of the match, but said the way the Argentineans played made it difficult for the Boks to execute quick ball and this was a massive concern going into this weekend’s return fixture in Salta.

The Boks struggled to secure their own ball at the breakdown, and made poor decisions when they were on attack, allowing Argentina to come within a whisker of winning their second game ever against the South Africans.

“It was very frustrating. The main thing for us is to get quick ball against these guys and they literally at every ruck slowed us down,” De Klerk said.

“It was frustrating for me, and we handled it quite well in the last 20 minutes of the game. It is a focus point for next week to make sure we get quick ball and get those threats out.

“Maybe the ref could have pinned them a few times, because they slowed the ball down. But that is something for next week to work on, to be more clinical.”

De Klerk is correct in his assessment that the Boks will need to sort out the breakdown against an Argentinean team that played much better than the Jaguares. While the Boks have themselves to blame for their decision-making, it is abruptly clear that the same side that played on Saturday certainly isn’t comparable to the Jaguares side in Super Rugby.

“The biggest thing for us, is that this isn’t the Jaguares team, when they put on that jersey they change completely and we wanted to kick long in the beginning and they handled it very well,” De Klerk adds, citing the change in tactics to kick from 9 instead of 10 that made the difference.

“ When we started kicking off 9 a bit we put them under pressure. At test level you have a set plan for the weekend, but you have to adapt and target their weak points. When we started kicking off nine that made a big difference. Next week we will have to get clean ball off that ruck”

De Klerk saved the Bok bacon on two consecutive tests now, and is by far the player in the setup who can be the happiest about his game, but what about the rest?

The halfback believes that the team are still finding each other and that it will take time to gel as a unit.

“It makes it very easy and gives the coach more confidence in the players and if you look at the great teams that is what they do well,” De Klerk adds.

“That is where we are heading to, and when to run and when to kick and I think if we play a bit longer together that will get better and better.

“I played with Oupa the first time tonight, there are a lot of players I haven’t played with. It is great to get the continuity going and we need to play together more as a group of guys.”

The Bok side is unlikely to change much this week heading into the return fixture in Salta. They need to find each other quicker in an unforgiving competition.

But De Klerk’s rise as the Bok halfback is something to celebrate, even if it is one of the few things positive from the weekend.

Something the NH referees are much stricter on - from the games I have watched - is this slowing the ball down.  The Argies do get away with some very negative tactics though

taipan    1,576
2 minutes ago, Hawk_Eye said:

Something the NH referees are much stricter on - from the games I have watched - is this slowing the ball down.  The Argies do get away with some very negative tactics though

Didn't work in the Falklands.

• Like 2

Arlecchino    503

Glenn Jackson is poor in a couple of areas:

Lineout; offside line scrum set. In particular he allows the hookers to start off too far apart causing all the collapsing through over extension.

Stu    951
1 hour ago, Mata Hari said:

So. What's the chance of us winning in Argentina...

Last year they smacked us in Durban (ban all future tests there as well) and then the next week we smacked them over there.

• Like 2

taipan    1,576
1 minute ago, Stu said:

Last year they smacked us in Durban (ban all future tests there as well) and then the next week we smacked them over there.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Nah, Moses Mabhida is a decent stadium.

J1M1    600
1 hour ago, Mata Hari said:

So. What's the chance of us winning in Argentina...

me, i smell an Argie ambush......................less than even money

DbDraad    660
6 hours ago, J1M1 said:

me, i smell an Argie ambush......................less than even money

Nope, probably not. They were crying during the anthems last week. Like the French, they don't get worked up like that twice in a row. It won't be easy and it's going to be ugly, but we should pull it off.

GO BOKKE!

• Like 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    sharleen
    Newest Member
    sharleen