Sign in to follow this  
Hawk_Eye

4 Nation International Rugby

8 hours ago, DbDraad said:

Nope, probably not. They were crying during the anthems last week. Like the French, they don't get worked up like that twice in a row. It won't be easy and it's going to be ugly, but we should pull it off.

GO BOKKE!

After last week's showing...........and AC having only made one (forced) change to a team that looked like they were sleep-walking.........Koch's last showing against them was poor......with a dodgy replacement as an "impact player"?

If you think they were crying last week, wait for Saturday - these guys will be at home and ready to die for their team. They know they let it slip in the last 10 minutes and they want revenge for that.

Somehow, there just don't seem to be many wearing the green jersey who are that committed - imho.

Ja.............go Bokke...................gulp!!

• Like 1

This is one game where I will be watching the high (low) lights only as I simply cannot be "motivated" to watch a game played between cheats / negative players and mediocre / lethargic / directionless players, at some ungodly hour of the night.

3 hours ago, J1M1 said:

After last week's showing...........and AC having only made one (forced) change to a team that looked like they were sleep-walking.........Koch's last showing against them was poor......with a dodgy replacement as an "impact player"?

If you think they were crying last week, wait for Saturday - these guys will be at home and ready to die for their team. They know they let it slip in the last 10 minutes and they want revenge for that.

Somehow, there just don't seem to be many wearing the green jersey who are that committed - imho.

Ja.............go Bokke...................gulp!!

I'm with you Jim, the Argies might just pull it off. I won't be watching i'll be watching my daughter's first stage performance live, and we'll have no TV rest of weekend so i might only get to watch high/lowlights next week. Btw there's big school rugby in my dorpie, playing in final Beeld trophy  - large schools. Last time dorpie won was 1988 was called Direkteurstrofee, br-in-law was in the 1st rugby team winning the title way back

Shape up or unwanted history beckons  > SOURCE

There isn’t much clarity about how good or bad the Springboks are or even over what it is they are trying to do, but one thing should be crystal clear – if they don’t improve dramatically on all four performances they’ve produced so far this year, history is going to be made on Saturday.

Spoiler

The Pumas made history last August by scoring their first ever win over the South Africans when they won in Durban in the Castle Lager Rugby Championship.

They damn nearly did it again a week ago. But while Nelspruit was a case of so near and yet so far, the Argentinians will fancy their chances of making a new piece of history by scoring their first ever win over their rivals on Argentinian soil.

They came pretty close to doing it the last time they hosted the Boks at Salta.

Perhaps Bok coach Allister Coetzee remembers that game particularly well, for it may have been the reason he has included Morne Steyn on the bench.

It was Steyn who kicked a late pressure penalty that saved previous Bok coach Heyneke Meyer from suffering the ignominy of being the first to lose to Argentina a year before it eventually did come to pass.

It probably will be tight again on Saturday night, and Coetzee should be used by now to having his heart in his mouth towards the end of Bok performances.

There hasn’t been a comfortable victory yet on his watch, and if you were to be brutal in making your assessment, you’d have to concede that his record could easily have been four defeats in four starts.

With the exception of the second half in Johannesburg and the last 12 minutes at Mbombela Stadium, the Boks have been poor.

And perhaps there is something in that. Could it be that it is when they are forced to chase a game, in other words they have no option but to be adventurous, that the Boks are at their best?

It certainly appears that way, and there is a growing lobby that would like to see the Boks become more like the Lions in the way they play the game.

Johan Ackermann’s charges embraced the concept of rugby without fear and it got them all the way to the Super Rugby final.

It is an attitude that has helped the Boks get out of jail on two occasions when it has been produced in cameo form when they were staring defeat in the face (in Johannesburg and in Nelspruit).

Regardless of what game they take on board, what the Boks look to be in desperate need of is clarity.

Former Bok legend Victor Matfield, in his role as a television comments man, said last week that the Boks need to play their own game.

But what game have the Boks been playing up to now? It’s difficult to say, because for the most part, with the exception of when they’ve been chasing the game, they’ve looked like they are in between playing styles with players who aren’t necessarily the right fit.

'SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT'

The Boks need to lose that identity crisis and take the bit by the teeth from the outset in Salta or they will be facing another kind of crisis.

Up to now the Boks have been getting away with mediocrity and not being pilloried as perhaps they could be because they are managing to win (three out of four makes it 75% success record so far).

There is some truth in that saying that it takes a good team to win when you are playing badly. So that just about keeps the wolves from the door for now.

But the second you lose and that whole theory implodes like a deflating balloon. Defeat can bring many things, but perhaps what it is most assured of bringing is a dose of reality.

Coetzee will know that, and it is why he will need his men to go out and justify the faith he has shown is his decision to keep changes to the starting team relatively low-key up to now.

The players who Coetzee is likely to be criticised for selecting if the Boks lose probably know who they are too.

The message should surely not need to be expressed – they all need to perform or the talk of heroism and commitment that has followed the narrow wins will be followed by a fog of negativity.

But if you want to put it into words, perhaps those words would be along the lines of “shape up, or ship out”.

Unless the Pumas play really badly, the Boks simply cannot afford to reproduce what they did last week.

The bottom line is that the Boks simply cannot afford to concede another bit of history, and to avoid that fate they need to be confident, clear and certain in their execution of the game-plan.

There were positive aspects about their performance last week, most notably the scrumming, and a repeat of that dominance will be a first step towards victory.

But the kicking out of hand has to be more accurate, the decision making has to be better, Adriaan Strauss is going to have to find a way to lead by example, Elton Jantjies is going to have to lose the erraticism and somehow become more influential or there is just going to be more vindication for those who maintain that the Boks are slipping.

Not that there are too many other nations other than New Zealand who are exactly flying at the moment, and Australia, who the Boks face after this, are one of those.

They are going to have to prove on Saturday against the All Blacks in Wellington that last week’s lacklustre performance was an aberration caused either by coach Michael Cheika driving them too hard in training during the four-week build-up or by the players reintroduced from Europe struggling to re-adapt to the southern hemisphere pace.

Hopes of Wallaby success on New Zealand soil are fanciful at the best of times.

They are even more fanciful now than they usually are. If Cheika’s solution to the problem is to recall Quade Cooper, who has struggled historically in New Zealand, then it could be another long night for the Wallabies.

WEEKEND CASTLE LAGER RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP FIXTURES

New Zealand v Australia (Wellington, Saturday 9:35am) 
Prediction: New Zealand by 15.

Argentina v South Africa (Salta, Saturday 9:40pm) 
Prediction:South Africa to play well enough to win by 7.

• Like 1

In this morning's game there were times when Poitte was an embarrassment. He misses so much in the close encounters that it is almost as if he is cheating.

Tonight again we have a French ref and they allow far too much leeway in the offside line, at the lineout and at the breakdown.

The Argies will niggle and the French refs usually blow in favour of the home team.

Tough game.

Who was the genius who thought that a 4 minute from end drop goal in a bad field position was a good idea, especially when we had them on the back foor wave after wave.

Goosen and DDA both need to learn that rugby is a team sport and one of the requirements is to know how to pass or even just attempt it once in a while.

Will have to watch the replay but don't think the attempted drop was from a bad area. Whether it was a good decision is another question.

The problem is the coaching. There seems to be absolutely no game plan.

• Like 1

Nothing what so ever.

You just need to watch our backline play and see there is no clue. The Argies run backline play and make 30+ metres most times, the Boks try the same thing and go backwards.

DDA need to go and we need someone like Rohan Janse van Rensburg. I just think that AC is taking talented plaayers and coaching the quality right out of them, if I am honest I would not mind seeing all the Lions players dropped, that way I can watch them play for the Lions instead learning to dislike them because AC is hell bent of changing the natural talent of these guys.

• Like 1

And listening to the panel they are saying exactly what we have been saying on this board for 4 years. Coaching, decision making, skills, getting structures in place. Fuck it, the list just goes on.

• Like 2

Outrageous that we could not even win that final scrum against a scrum that was understrength. Dylan Smith would have mauled those guys, But, heck picking the right players is just too tough to do.

You just get gatvol watching the same shyte year in and year out and you keep hoping and trusting that they will get their shit together, but they won't.

For me our locks were sublime, Mohoje again was not bad at all, lucky not to be carded, but he woned Hernadez big time. Faf was not bad, tried as always, Elton needs to work on his place kicking as that is what lost us the game, too many missed kicks. DDA and Goosen have to learn to pass.

Once again I only saw the second half, but virtually every tackle by Mohoje was pushing the limits.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, taipan said:

Once again I only saw the second half, but virtually every tackle by Mohoje was pushing the limits.

No doubt, but he tried that is for sure. The first half was kak.

So.............we lost?

Only managed bits of the 1st half - we were VERY kak!!

• Like 1

Rugby 365

South Africa trailed by 10 points at half time and managed to outscore their opponents in the final 40 minutes, however, they had left their comeback too late to suffer the loss.

The Springboks picked up where they left off in the opening Rugby Championship round and will have plenty of questions to answer after two below average performances.

Tauriq Ebrahim rates the Springboks!

15 Johan Goosen
Looked good when he joined the line as he found some space and made some crucial tackles.
5/10

14 Ruan Combrinck
No real chances to run the ball but came good against his bigger counterpart on defence.
5/10

13 Lionel Mapoe
Another quiet game in attack as he saw very little ball while his defence work rate needs to be increased.
4/10

12 Damian de Allende
The 'head down and run straight' worked a bit but he remains a one-dimensional player.
3/10

11 Bryan Habana
It took him some time to get into the game and showed glimpses of his former self on attack.
4/10

10 Elton Jantjies
The time has come for him to be moved to the bench after another below average game.
3/10

9 Francois de Klerk
A bit of a mixed bag as some good moments were erased by some sloppy play and poor decision making.
4/10

8 Warren Whiteley
Another tireless performance on defence as he ensured a clean record.
6/10

7 Teboho Mohoje
Just when we thought he was back to his best, he took a few steps back.
3/10

6 Francois Louw
Despite a second half improvement, questions still remain about his inclusion in the team.
4/10

5 Lodewyk de Jager
Got stuck into his opposition as he looked to dominate them physically.
6/10

4 Eben Etzebeth
He set the tone defensively in the opening exchanges but offered little else in other departments.
4/10

3 Vincent Koch
While he was decent at scrum time, he leaked way too many penalties on defence - including coming off his line which led to Tuculet's try.
3/10

2 Adriaan Strauss (captain)
In no way is he a leader as he once again hid when the chips were down.
1/10

1 Tendai Mtawarira
Had he not been involved in the scrums, you would not have noticed him on the field.
2/10

Replacements:

16 Bongi Mbonambi
Not used.

17 Steven Kitshoff (on for Mtawarira, 46th min)
Made an immediate impact at scrum time and got stuck into some Argentinian players on defence.
6/10

18 Lourens Adriaanse (on for Kock, 46th min)
Helped to stabilise the scrums but offered little elsewhere.
4/10

19 Pieter-Steph du Toit (on for de Jager, 46th min)
Imposed himself physically when he got on and showed real strength to get over for a try.
6/10

20 Jaco Kriel (on for Louw, 55th min)
Another massive impact off the bench and surely has to start ahead of Louw.
7/10

21 Rudy Paige (on for de Klerk, 74th min)
Not enough to be rated...again

22 Morne Steyn (on for Jantjies, 4th min)
Brought a different dimension to the game but his decision making left much to be desired.
4/10

23 Jesse Kriel (on for Combrinck, 33rd min)
A mixed bag on defence but looked dangerous with ball-in-hand.
5/10

I have no comments.  If I do, I may be hit for slander.  All was said before anyway.  I think I have watched my last Springbok rugby game.

By the way, what happened to Morne Steyn's conditioning?  His legs are thinner than mine and I'm nearly 100 years old.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawk_Eye said:

I have no comments.  If I do, I may be hit for slander.  All was said before anyway.  I think I have watched my last Springbok rugby game.

By the way, what happened to Morne Steyn's conditioning?  His legs are thinner than mine and I'm nearly 100 years old.

Hawk, it is extremely depressing. I am by no means a rugby expert but if I can see what is wrong, what are these bloody coaches doing.

• Like 1

Just now, taipan said:

Hawk, it is extremely depressing. I am by no means a rugby expert but if I can see what is wrong, what are these bloody coaches doing.

The coaching team - all of them are mediocre to absolute kak.  Close to half the "springboks" are even too kak to be allowed in a SR team.  If you think this was bad, wait until the ABs put 60+ points on the board.

Defence is non existent and when they do attempt a tackle most of them fall off the tackle.  There is no TEAM cohesion - you can see them blaming one another on the field for mistakes - when you reach that level of patheticness you will never pull together as a team.  One of the outstanding characteristics of the Lions is their team spirit and will to be part of the collective.

This "springbok" team will continue to under-perform and the coaching staff will invent new and wonderful excuses and shifting the blame while they celebrate mediocrity. "We were better than last week..." - But last week the fuckers were already rock bottom.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mata Hari said:

If the ratings reflect the game can someone please advise AC urgently to change his captain. 

Strauss is pathetic. ...a dreg from Meyers era.

Whitely never said a word........he must have been kakked out during the week for trying to do Strauss' job.

• Like 1

Strauss was a fine leader and hooker for the Cheetahs. Something has gone badly with his game since he moved to the Bulls.

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Denny
    Newest Member
    Denny