Sign in to follow this  
Barnacle

Super Rugby 2017 - Bulls

A thread for the discussion of all Bulls related opinions during the 2017 Super Rugby season. Feel free to add anything related to the teams squads, players from the franchise. Please note that topics may and will overlap, when it also comes to the selection of players from the franchise for the national squad or teams. If the topic of interest is mainly about a player and not the franchise itself, feel free to start your own topic.

Teams for this weekend's match:

The match kicks off at 19:30.

Teams:

Bulls

15 Jesse Kriel, 14 Travis Ismaiel, 13 Dries Swanepoel, 12 Burger Odendaal, 11 Jamba Ulengo, 10 Handre Pollard (captain), 9 Rudy Paige, 8 Hanro Liebenberg, 7 Jacques Potgieter, 6 Nic de Jager, 5 RG Snyman, 4 Jason Jenkins, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Jaco Visagie, 1 Lizo Gqoboka

Substitutes: 16 Edgar Marutlulle, 17 Pierre Schoeman, 18 Jacobie Adriaanse, 19 Renaldo Bothma, 20 Ruan Steenkamp, 21 Piet van Zyl, 22 Tian Schoeman, 23 Warrick Gelant

Cheetahs

15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Ryno Benjamin, 13 Nico Lee, 12 Clinton Swart, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Fred Zeilinga, 9 Tian Meyer, 8 Paul Schoeman, 7 Oupa Mohoje, 6 Uzair Cassiem, 5 Reniel Hugo, 4 Justin Basson, 3 Johan Coetzee, 2 Torsten van Jaarsveld (captain), 1 Ox Nche

Substitutes: 16 Elandre Huggett, 17 Charles Marais, 18 Danie Mienie, 19 Francois Uys, 20 Niell Jordaan, 21 Zee Mkhabela, 22 Niel Marais, 23 Ruan van Rensburg

That is not a bad Bulls team.  But,they still do not have the correct "medicine" for their hot-cold performances.  Similar to last year they pick a half and play like hell for 40 minutes.  The Stormers game is a very good example of that.  Had the Bulls played with the same intensity through the 80 minutes they could and probably should have won that game.

People come with nonsense like it is early season etc.  If you approach a war like that you'll end up dead before you fired a shot.

Maybe it is the local coaches - maybe the tail is wagging the dog and players have too much "power" Shit I remembered in my playing days the coach was just two rungs down on the ladder from God.  If you did not tow the line you were out on your ear.  But then again we played for the love of the game and not money..maybe that's where it must go.  Pay for play - no performance no pay..

They might be better than 24 - zip at halftime ( I hope so for obvious reason), but winning the second halve and losing the match is by no means an indication of anything. 

I liked Liebenberg at 8...new Thor?

On 3/3/2017 at 1:14 PM, Hawk_Eye said:

That is not a bad Bulls team.

On paper only... On grass they seem to struggle...

Pollard showed an ∞% improvement this week. He made one good decision.

When Schoeman came on the Bulls back-line played much faster.

As I say, they have probably the best team on paper, and if your flyhalf is as uninvolved as Pollard was, then its no wonder they fail. But their defence in general was very poor compared to the Cheetahs. But then, the Bulls still run AT the defenders and not into gaps... So its not too difficult to tackle them. Even if you just fall so that they can trip over you....

I only saw Jesse Kriel was playing around the 50 minute mark.. Paige and Pollard both got replace by better players. 

20 hours ago, Barnacle said:

On paper only... On grass they seem to struggle...

Pollard showed an ∞% improvement this week. He made one good decision.

When Schoeman came on the Bulls back-line played much faster.

As I say, they have probably the best team on paper, and if your flyhalf is as uninvolved as Pollard was, then its no wonder they fail. But their defence in general was very poor compared to the Cheetahs. But then, the Bulls still run AT the defenders and not into gaps... So its not too difficult to tackle them. Even if you just fall so that they can trip over you....

So.. Nothing has changed for how long now?

On 10/10/2016 at 0:07 PM, vlagman said:

@supersupporter I don't think that the AB game plan is anything special or mysterious.  They just do the basics perfectly well. They play well up front and form a good basis. That makes it easier for the back line to decide how and where to play. 

They do not kick less than others but they kick well. When they do kick, the kick is purposeful and most importantly, they follow up on their kicks. 

Their backs do not bliksem into the first defender. We seem to attack defenders. They attack the gaps between defenders. If you want to defend against them you have to go and tackle them. It is easy to defend against us. You just wait for the player to run into you and then wrap your arms around him. 

Willie looked great when he made that break but go check what happened then. When he ran out of space he threw a wild kak pass to someone next to the touch line. All the while he had two runners right inside of him. Our decision making is pathetic. 

On 27/02/2017 at 0:31 PM, vlagman said:

Handre Pollard will not go down as one of the great Springbok flyhalves. He has not lived up to the expectations everyone, me included, had after his performances at the 2012 JRWC. I doubt if he ever will. I, in any case, be very surprised if he does anything spectacular this season, after his long layoff. 

He (Pollard) was disappointing again yesterday against the Cheetahs. I do not believe that he is the right man to be captain especially after a long lay off and he should in fact be played off the bench.

The entire team looked flat and lacking in direction or purpose.

The Cheetahs caught them flat on several occasions and the Bulls defence looked bewildered.

Or is he not perhaps just another victim of another old SA illness? That of elevating every second youngster onto the big scene and into star status prematurely?

Daar is nie fout met Pollard nie. Hy kort net tyd op die veld. Jammer hy kan nie n paar klub wedstryde speel soos in die ou dae nie.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Owen Meany said:

Daar is nie fout met Pollard nie. Hy kort net tyd op die veld. Jammer hy kan nie n paar klub wedstryde speel soos in die ou dae nie.

Ek hoop so, maar net tyd sal leer. Welkom terug vreemdeling!

Serfontein back for Vodacom Bulls in new looking squad

Vodacom Bulls coach Nollis Marais made wholesale changes to his team to face the Sunwolves at Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria on Friday, naming different combinations in his back three, midfield, half-backs, loose trio, lock pairing and front row.

The Vodacom Bulls will play their first match at home in this year’s Vodacom Super Rugby tournament and will host the visitors from the Far East with a much changed side from the one that lost to the Toyota Cheetahs two weeks ago.

Amongst the backs, the return of Springbok World Cup midfielder, Jan Serfontein, is the most significant. He will play his 49th Super Rugby match, but only his first in the season, after a delayed start due to injury. He replaces Dries Swanepoel in the midfield.

Warrick Gelant will also earn a first start for the year in place of Jesse Kriel, who will start off the bench, while Piet van Zyl will start at scrumhalf for the first time this season. Ivan van Zyl will deputise for his namesake in his debut for the season, with Rudy Paige being rested.

Up front, Lood de Jager, has now recovered from the concussion he sustained in the opening weekend of the season, and will start at lock with Jason Jenkins. RG Snyman reverts to the bench. Renaldo Bothma is also promoted to a starting berth in place of Jacques Potgieter, who is rested due to concussion, while Pierre Schoeman and Lizo Gqoboko again trade jerseys, with the latter playing off the bench.

Edgar Marutlulle will make a first start at hooker in Super Rugby for the Vodacom Bulls after playing off the bench in the first two weeks. He replaces Jaco Visagie, who drops out of the match day squad.

Two regulars from last season will make a first appearance off the bench. Adriaan Strauss and Jannes Kirsten recovered from injury and take over from Marutllule and Ruan Steenkamp respectively.

Steenkamp will start at six in place of Nick de Jager, who drops out of the match day squad.

According to Marais, the return of so many fit players allowed him to make wholesale changes.

“The likes of Jan will be keen to get going, while those who is starting for the first time this season will enjoy the extended time on the field. I believe this will freshen up our effort, which did not deliver the right results for us in the opening two matches. The Sunwolves were unlucky against the Cheetahs and gave the guys in Bloem a bigger fright than we did. We cannot underestimate them and there can be no excuses, but for us to deliver a good performance.”

Vodacom Bulls captain, Handré Pollard, welcomed the fact that they will be playing at Loftus Versfeld for the first time.

“This is our home and we cannot slip up here, especially if we want to bring the crowds back to Loftus. We had a slow start, but I am confident that we will pick up the pace from here and will be running with the leading pack soon,” said Pollard.

“There was good energy in training the last couple of days and I am keen to see how the guys perform Friday night.”

The Vodacom Bulls team is (with caps and points): Warrick Gelant (6, 5); Travis Ismaiel (19, 30); Jan Serfontein (48, 65), Burger Odendaal (20, 10); Jamba Ulengo (12, 30); Handré Pollard (c, 27, 254), Piet van Zyl (70, 65); Hanro Liebenberg (10, 15), Renaldo Bothma (19, 20), Ruan Steenkamp (2, 0); Lood de Jager (41, 5); Jason Jenkins (15, 10); Trevor Nyakane (72, 15), Edgar Marutlulle (27, 20), Pierre Schoeman (11, 0). Replacements: Adriaan Strauss (132), Lizo Gqoboko (11, 0), Jacobie Adriaanse (28, 0), RG Snyman (14, 10), Jannes Kirsten (15 (10), Ivan van Zyl (2), Tian Schoeman (24, 75), Jesse Kriel (33, 10).

55 minutes ago, Owen Meany said:

Howzit Draad. Tyd dat ons weer n bier gaan drink.

Kan so maak ja. Ek braai vannaand 4 klein kabeljoutjies. Enige tips?

Lekker man lekker! Het gisteraand n klein Mosselkraker gebraai. Sout, witpeper, knoffelbotter en suurlemoensap. Sal dieselfde op die kabeljou smeer. Jy moet lekker eet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Owen Meany said:

Lekker man lekker! Het gisteraand n klein Mosselkraker gebraai. Sout, witpeper, knoffelbotter en suurlemoensap. Sal dieselfde op die kabeljou smeer. Jy moet lekker eet.

Dankie, dis wat ek ook doen. Snoek kry bietjie appelkooskonfyt ook in die mix.

Ek het seker 20 jaar gelede self n kabbeljou skoongemaak en gevlek. Dit was n gesukkel sonder die regte mes, maar dit sal doen.

1 hour ago, supersupporter said:

Good luck Blue Bulls, I hope you fok those oaks up...

Klop, maar iets is nie lekker met die Bulle nie. I hope the do better in the 2nd. 

Guest Beeno

The hapless bulle continue their failure to impress. No matter how much money they spend they continue to ruin talent.

I can only suggest they get in some coaches who have a clue about the modern game. Obviously that person wont be from Pretoria. 

The oaks in Pretoria are really dom!

3 hours ago, DbDraad said:

Dankie, dis wat ek ook doen. Snoek kry bietjie appelkooskonfyt ook in die mix.

Ek het seker 20 jaar gelede self n kabbeljou skoongemaak en gevlek. Dit was n gesukkel sonder die regte mes, maar dit sal doen.

Ja mens se hande raak dom. Hoop dit was lekker.

7 hours ago, Owen Meany said:

Ja mens se hande raak dom. Hoop dit was lekker.

Heel skaflik, dankie.

Guest Beeno

Meanou daar is nie fout met die speelers nie. Die fout is met die coaches ek se. Hy veet nie om rugby te speel. You following me meanou!!

The Bulle could buy the entire all black team and lose to the queens. On paper the bulle have a great side but have no clue how to play the game. 

Now all this is a great shame as the bulle whip off the cream of Sa rugby talent and then ruin it.  How the logs would change also if the bulle stopped being blue calves and won some matches overseas!!! 

It appears the bulle will be the last SA side to embrace balanced rugby back up with skills and creative flair, the ability to make things happen and think on their feet. Running over the opposition doesn't work anymore. It takes thought to outwit your opponent bulle. Head down and charge wont work etc! You need more than high up and unders and the rolling maul bulle! Sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Denny
    Newest Member
    Denny