Sign in to follow this  
Barnacle

Super Rugby 2017 - Bulls

The Bulls are crap!

Pollard is crap as flyhalf. He might be a decent crash-ball centre or maybe a flanker, but his decision making is KAK! He is unable to control and manage a game and his skills are crap too. Especially for a player who had a full year to work on skills, without the threat of contact.

The you have the stupidity of the players in general. A perfect example being Lood de Jager making a tackle getting to his feet and not playing to the ball. Had he played to the ball he would not have been penalised as he had all the rights to the ball. Instead he stands on the wrong side and blocks the opposition. Duh! Plank!

Add to that the coaching that requires the team to send every ball down the back-line like primary school kids. If they merely played a simple three/four phase structure, they should have scored more than 50 against the error ridden Sunwolves.

They are fitter than last year. They do play with more urgency (some positives), but they have no plan. It's quite sad, but they could be top of the log and could beat just about any team, with the players they have available (on paper), but intelligence is severely lacking...

• Like 1

Dan Kriel, SP Marais, Ramone Samuels, Jano Vermaak, Pieter-Steph du Toit, JC Janse van Rensburg, Bongi Mbonambi, Jones ens.

1 hour ago, Owen Meany said:

Dan Kriel, SP Marais, Ramone Samuels, Jano Vermaak, Pieter-Steph du Toit, JC Janse van Rensburg, Bongi Mbonambi, Jones ens.

Ja, dit was goeie kopies. Jy't vergeet van Kleintjie Carel en Robert du Preez....seker onder die ens.

Edited by DbDraad

Dis snaaks, SP Marais is laat gaan, nie eers n seisoen by die Bulls nie en weer gepos. Dit lyk of hy goed doen by WP. Dis nog te vroeg om te sê oor Kriel, maar hy lyk belowend.

It is the scrum that troubles me. Just watch how they go against The Blues who this year are probably the most improved franchise.

To play loosehead props at tighthead is mad. I was in favour of Nyakane doing that for 20 minutes as an impact player but he is not a starter at 3.

The same goes for du Toit at the Sharks. Are schoolboy coaches not able to show a boy how to scrum at tighthead? We used to have some greats including that druiwe boer from Cape Town - he was a du Toit. Was it Hempies?

There was also a monster dude from the Free State - a doctor. 

I saw Strauss saying that they have worked at the things they have not been hitting their marks on. Let us be very clear, it takes at least two seasons before a front row begins to gel together. Rotating and chopping and changing adds more time to that.

The Bulls have an impressive array of players but they mill around for 20 minutes trying to remember what the coach told them to do and then play some decent rugby. But by that time they are screwed on the scoreboard.

Burger Odendaal is a good centre but for 30 minutes or so he seems to think he is grondverskywings masjien and runs into people. Serfontein was brilliant as a schoolboy. As an adult he too is crap and confused and has forgotten how to play rugby.

As for the Bulls pack - give them to me for a season and I would win a RWC. Big, fast, athletics locks. Loosies the size of locks. 

Whip a scrumhalf with a lanyard following him from ruck to ruck chasing him to get quick ball and as Barns says  3 or 4 phases and go score a try.

Cape Town – Played 12, won eight, lost four … it looks shipshape enough on paper, doesn’t it?

That is the scorecard in favour of South African teams over overseas-based opponents thus far in Super Rugby 2017.

But that acceptable win record of 66.6 percent is skewed by one rather pertinent fact: none of our franchises have yet run into a New Zealand team.

It’s not exactly a closely-guarded secret that teams from that country, which boasts the title-winners in four of the last five years, are hotly, collectively tipped to dominate once again this year – and early signs from this year’s competition only seem to enhance the likelihood.

That goes a long way to explaining why the South African challenge against teams from outside our borders looks more than credible at this point, approaching round five.

Three of those eight wins banked, it mustn’t be forgotten, have been against the humble Sunwolves from Japan – and even then, at least two weren’t convincing at all, by the Cheetahs and Bulls despite their home advantage in each instance. (Ironically the most clear-cut victory against them was arguably achieved by the much-maligned Kings, who prevailed 37-23 in Singapore.)

On a more positive note, the Lions have had very commanding wins at Emirates Airline Park over both the Waratahs and Reds from Australia, and the Sharks did bag one decent scalp on their short tour Down Under by pipping the Brumbies with a late try.

So the really genuine test of whether South African rugby has made any northward progress at all since the general annus horribilis of 2016 now looms large: the Bulls are first “lab rats” against NZ foes, if you like, when they take up arms against the Blues at Albany on Saturday (08:35).

For the little the 18-team overall table really matters these days, you would roughly brand it a mid-table sort of clash, as the effectively eighth-placed Blues (one win from four) entertain opponents in 12th (one win from three).

But when you consider that the once-mighty, Auckland-based side thrashed the Rebels in Melbourne first up, and then lost successive, taxing derbies against compatriots the Chiefs, Highlanders and Crusaders, you still get a powerful sense that they will be fairly clear favourites against the Bulls despite their mere 25 percent win record at this stage.

With the Bulls and Force (again at home) on their most immediate roster, the Blues will believe that significant improvement of their position is just a couple of wins away.

It will also be reasonably ominous, of course, if the currently second lowest-riding New Zealand team see off the three-time past champions convincingly, given that the next three weekends after that see the tournament pace-setting Chiefs (four wins from four, and a healthy 19 points) face three SA outfits in a row.

First come the Bulls, continuing their trek through the Land of the Long White Cloud, on April Fools’ Day (psst, fine occasion for a major Bulls upset?), and then the Mooloo Men travel themselves to South Africa, for successive matches against the Stormers and Cheetahs.

The Newlands match on April 8 may give us the best indication yet of whether the gap in standards between NZ and SA rugby remains painfully wide, or has narrowed at least a little, given the strong early showings of both sides.

It may well be an appealing meeting of unbeaten units, if the Chiefs (bye this weekend) have beaten the Bulls ahead of it and the Stormers emerge victorious against the Sunwolves in the latest round (Singapore) and then Cheetahs (Cape Town) respectively.

If nothing else, there should be a mightily good chance that the Stormers improve a great deal in scoreboard terms on what turned into their most embarrassing ordeal of the 2016 season – that 60-21 hiding at home to the Chiefs in a quarter-final.

They leaked eight tries on that unpalatable occasion as the Chiefs ran them off their feet - confirming, among other things, the superior conditioning of New Zealand players in many instances.

That particular gap may well have closed: most SA sides do seem in broadly better nick physically and stamina-wise than in 2016.

Just around the corner is the examination of whether our rugby skills and gumption levels are back on the mend as well …

Looming bilateral SA v NZ matches in Super Rugby, to end of April (home teams first):

Saturday: Blues v Bulls

April 1: Chiefs v Bulls

April 8: Stormers v Chiefs

April 15: Cheetahs v Chiefs

April 22: Crusaders v Stormers

April 28: Highlanders v Stormers

April 29: Cheetahs v Crusaders

*Follow our chief writer on Twitter: @RobHouwing

• Like 1

New centre pairing for Bulls

23 Mar 2017

Jan Serfontein and Jesse Kriel will start in the midfield for the Bulls against the Blues in Auckland.

Serfontein, who will make his 50th appearance for the Bulls this Saturday, will move to inside centre, while Kriel comes in at 13.

Kriel's inclusion is the only change to the starting backline from last weekend's match against the Sunwolves, while Adriaan Strauss will start at hooker and take over the captaincy.

Up front, Lizo Gqoboko rotates in for Pierre Schoeman, while Nick de Jager will start at flank, in place of the suspended Renaldo Bothma.

Bulls – 15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Travis Ismaiel, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Jamba Ulengo, 10 Handré Pollard (c), 9 Piet van Zyl, 8 Hanro Liebenberg, 7 Nick de Jager, 6 Ruan Steenkamp, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Jason Jenkins, 3 Trevor Nyakane, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Lizo Gqoboko.

Subs: 16 Jaco Visagie, 17 Pierre Schoeman, 18 RG Snyman, 19 Jannes Kirsten, 20 Rudy Paige, 21 Tian Schoeman, 22 Burger Odendaal, 23 John-Roy Jenkinson.

Edited by Owen Meany
  • Like 1

Guest Spur Boytjie

I never meant to react violently, it was a "spur" of the moment thing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Guest Spur Boytjie said:

I never meant to react violently, it was a "spur" of the moment thing.

Lol, verwat het die vrou jou kind geklap? Ek sou ook moerrig word!

• Like 1

I saw that entire ordeal and for the life of me I have no idea why everyone is so pissed off with that father. In my opinion those kids around there could view the repercussions of bullying and how a parent will defend their child in that situation.

What makes me so mad is that the mother does not apologise for her child and the father who is defending his child is made out to be the villain. Bullshit man..

The father needs a medal for being able to restrain himself because most fathers would have not.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

I saw that entire ordeal and for the life of me I have no idea why everyone is so pissed off with that father. In my opinion those kids around there could view the repercussions of bullying and how a parent will defend their child in that situation.

What makes me so mad is that the mother does not apologise for her child and the father who is defending his child is made out to be the villain. Bullshit man..

The father needs a medal for being able to restrain himself because most fathers would have not.

Of course the mother would not apologise for her child's behaviour. That would blow her chances of portraying the guy as a racist Boer who hates all blacks. If anything, all this constant efforts to portray whites as inherent racists are having the exact opposite effect. 

I have just read an article in The Telegraph about that fucker in London. His kak was now also caused by "an early incident with "racial undertones" for which he was jailed. WTF? If you look at his entire rap sheet it is clear that he has been a fucking thug his entire life. It really pisses me off. 

It is because of crap like this that you have people like Katie Hopkins who are so outspoken. That woman calls a spade a fucking shovel and most of the times she are spot-on. She is also the first female anti-feminist that I have seen. 

• Like 2

I like Katie Hopkins, I like the fact that she says what needs to be said..

This joke explains Britain to a T

I was looking over into next-door's garden, when I saw my neighbour Mohamed and his wife, burying their daughter up to her neck and about to throw rocks at her head. Anyway, I called the police and I'm happy to say that British justice has prevailed - I've been charged with religious intolerance and Islamophobia.

• Like 1

@supersupporter, we will probably get into kak for stuffing up the thread with off-topic stuff but at this stage the Bulls is a bit like a little brother in jail. :bounce:

In any case........ whenever you watch videoclips on YouTube, you have those suggestions down the right hand side. For some reason my eyes caught one. The image showed a blond woman with the title "Why we will forget about London" and I immediately thought something along the lines of: "Yeah right. Another lefty snowflake who will try and rubbish the incident". For some reason, though, I clicked on the clip and got a moerse surprise. Have a listen.

• Like 3

Dit lyk of die Bulle dit kan doen met 'n bietjie geluk...sal my SuperBru seermaak, maar goed wees vir SA rugby. Ek hoop nie hulle raak te vinnig moeg nie.

59 minutes ago, DbDraad said:

Dit lyk of die Bulle dit kan doen met 'n bietjie geluk...sal my SuperBru seermaak, maar goed wees vir SA rugby. Ek hoop nie hulle raak te vinnig moeg nie.

Tired?  Highly paid professional sportsmen?

They are light years behind any NZ team after this "showing"

• Like 1

On 24/03/2017 at 10:07 AM, supersupporter said:

I like Katie Hopkins, I like the fact that she says what needs to be said..

This joke explains Britain to a T

I was looking over into next-door's garden, when I saw my neighbour Mohamed and his wife, burying their daughter up to her neck and about to throw rocks at her head. Anyway, I called the police and I'm happy to say that British justice has prevailed - I've been charged with religious intolerance and Islamophobia.

@supersupporterCheck Katie taking the piss at this snowflake t.wat while telling him the truth that he did not want to hear:

Edited by vlagman

5 veranderinge aan Bul span en Arno Botha speel eerste wedstryd van seisoen. Hoop die Bulle kan die Chiefs se telling onder 50 hou. Tragies.

• Like 3

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Denny
    Newest Member
    Denny