Sign in to follow this  
Barnacle

Super Rugby 2017 - Lions

A thread for the discussion of all Lions related opinions during the 2017 Super Rugby season. Feel free to add anything related to the teams squads, players from the franchise. Please note that topics may and will overlap, when it also comes to the selection of players from the franchise for the national squad or teams. If the topic of interest is mainly about a player and not the franchise itself, feel free to start your own topic.

Lions coach Johan Ackermann has named his team for Saturday’s Super Rugby clash against the Waratahs at Ellis Park (15:05 kick-off).

Teams:

Lions

15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Lionel Mapoe, 13 Harold Vorster, 12 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Warren Whiteley (captain), 7 Ruan Ackermann, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Andries Ferreira, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Robbie Coetzee, 1 Jacques van Rooyen

Substitutes: 16 Malcolm Marx, 17 Dylan Smith, 18 Johannes Jonker, 19 Lourens Erasmus, 20 Kwagga Smith, 21 Faf de Klerk, 22 Sylvian Mahuza, 23 Jaco van der Walt  

Waratahs

15 Andrew Kellaway 14 Reece Robinson, 13 Israel Folau, 12 Irae Simone, 11 Rob Horne, 10 Bryce Hegarty, 9 Nick Phipps, 8 Michael Wells, 7 Michael Hooper (captain), 6 Jack Dempsey, 5 Will Skelton, 4 Dean Mumm, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Tolu Latu, 1 Tom Robertson

Substitutes: 16 Hugh Roach, 17 Paddy Ryan, 18 David Lolohea, 19 David McDuling, 20 Senio Toleafoa, 21 Matt Lucas, 22 David Horwitz, 23 Taqele Naiyaravoro

Lions are going to miss Tecklenberg more than we expect. It's going to take time to get Faf right after his experience under AC.

We were commenting on it this weekend. Ross Cronje seemed to have worked damn hard last year and his improvement was quite clear over the course of the season. I think Faf actually needs to come back to earth a bit, because his attitude seems to be more developed than his level of play. Faf needs to work a bit harder on most aspects of his play and this might be just what he needs.

As for Coetzee's influence, I don't know what to say. Just about all players dis worse last year after spending time with the national squad!

Faf has an uncanny ability to kick a ball so it lands slap bang in front of an opponent with no or little direct defensive players in front of him. Aimless and stupid at times. He can be brilliant but sometimes a brain-fart or two will be what people remember.

Faf hardly kicked a ball last season until AC got his hands on him.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

We were commenting on it this weekend. Ross Cronje seemed to have worked damn hard last year and his improvement was quite clear over the course of the season. I think Faf actually needs to come back to earth a bit, because his attitude seems to be more developed than his level of play. Faf needs to work a bit harder on most aspects of his play and this might be just what he needs.

As for Coetzee's influence, I don't know what to say. Just about all players dis worse last year after spending time with the national squad!

Cronje has been improving steadily for two years.dont know what happened to his twin.

I was a huge fan of Faf, but he almost disappointed as much as DdA last year. I hope he hots some form this season.

Some minor improvements by the Lions. Line outs and scrums looked fair. Loose forward trio has to work on the combinations. Faf looked sharper when he came on. Poor decision making in their own 22.

Defence is a bit of a problem. But the Waratahs even worse...

4 hours ago, taipan said:

Poor decision making in their own 22.

Yup. And the same applies to most SA teams now...

I must say Kwagga Smith, how strong is that chap, he is an absolute machine and not only does he have pure strength, he has pace. Fantastic player.

12 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

I must say Kwagga Smith, how strong is that chap, he is an absolute machine and not only does he have pure strength, he has pace. Fantastic player.

A useful impact player to have on the bench.

The Lions have a very good group of players who all want to play at their best, skill levels are also very good.

When I watched the Sharks game yesterday, recorded it, I could not believe how bad those twins were, they should be ashamed, I do not think I have ever seen players that bad when handling a ball. Almost every single time one of them had to seal with the ball they messed it up, whether it was an over throw at the lineout, a pass or even taking a pass, popping it off the floor etc etc. Messed up almost every occasions, had they been better at managing the ball i think the Sharks would have won more convincingly. So many errors it was embarrassing.

The commies even said that Mvovo should be a Bok this year, not sure what planet they are on, but scoring 3 tries vs Wolves is really not a  benchmark for Bok colours.

12 hours ago, supersupporter said:

Sal n goeie senter maak. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Owen Meany said:

Sal n goeie senter maak. 

You are probably correct Own, he does have the power that a good centre often needs to break tackles.

Guest Harlequin SA

A massive improvement on Lionel my poo.

This could turn very ugly for the Sun Wolves in the 2nd half.

Big fishing expedition on Saturday.................Lions!!!

I also heard that we can find out as early as Saturday if the Pro14 is a go ahead...

The Lions have on many occasions spoiled the Sharks end of season games, I am suspecting they will be hell bent on repaying that favour, just not sure they have the skills and game to be able to do it.

IF.......the Lions win & the Crusaders lose......i'll have an excuse to test drive a few bottles - the missus says i need an excuse these days:bounce:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Denny
    Newest Member
    Denny