Sign in to follow this  
Barnacle

Super Rugby 2017 - Sharks

Barnacle    511

timthumb-3.jpeg

A thread for the discussion of all Sharks related opinions during the 2017 Super Rugby season. Feel free to add anything related to the teams squads, players from the franchise. Please note that topics may and will overlap, when it also comes to the selection of players from the franchise for the national squad or teams. If the topic of interest is mainly about a player and not the franchise itself, feel free to start your own topic.

Barnacle    511

Saturday's clash is scheduled for 10:45 (SA time).

Teams:

Sharks

15 Clement Poitrenaud, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Patrick Lambie (captain), 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Tera Mtembu, 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Philip van der Walt, 5 Ruan Botha, 4 Stephan Lewies, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Franco Marais, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 Thomas du Toit, 18 Lourens Adriaanse, 19 Jean Droste, 20 Jacques Vermeulen, 21 Michael Claassens, 22 Jeremy Ward, 23 Curwin Bosch

Brumbies

15 Aidan Toua, 14 Henry Speight, 13 Tevita Kuridrani, 12 Kyle Godwin, 11 James Dargaville, 10 Wharenui Hawera, 9 Joe Powell, 8 Jordan Smiler, 7 Chris Alcock, 6 Scott Fardy, 5 Sam Carter, 4 Rory Arnold, 3 Allan Alaalatoa, 2 Josh Mann-Rea, 1 Nic Mayhew

Substitutes: 16 Robbie Abel, 17 Ben Alexander, 18 Leslie Leulua’iali’i-Makin, 19 Tom Staniforth, 20 Lolo Fakaosilea, 21 De Wet Roos, 22 Andrew Smith, 23 Isaac Thompson

supersupporter    798

TEAM ANNOUNCEMENT: CURWIN BOSCH WILL START AT FLYHALF WHEN THE SHARKS TAKE ON THE CHEETAHS IN BLOEMFONTEIN ON SATURDAY.

The 19-year-old, who came on to replace injured captain Patrick Lambie at flyhalf two weeks ago in the win over the Waratahs, was named at fullback last weekend in the absence of Clement Poitrenaud. 

Bosch takes over the No.10 jersey this week from Benhard Janse van Rensburg. 

Poitrenaud has been passed fit this week and will feature in the No.15 jersey.

The Sharks have also been bolstered by the return of a number Springboks who were rested last weekend against the Southern Kings.

Tendai Mtawarira returns to the starting line-up along with fellow Springbok Coenie Oosthuizen in a rejigged front row.

Lwazi Mvovo is back on the wing after missing the Kings match due to the enforced rest protocol.

Sharks: 15 Clement Poitrenaud, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Curwin Bosch, 9 Cobus Reinach, 8 Tera Mtembu (captain), 7 Jean-Luc du Preez, 6 Jacques Vermeulen, 5 Ruan Botha, 4 Etienne Oosthuizen, 3 Coenie Oosthuizen, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.                         
Replacements: 16 Stephan Coetzee, 17 Thomas du Toit, 18 Lourens Adriaanse, 19 Stephan Lewies, 20 Daniel du Preez, 21 Michael Claassens, 22 Jeremy Ward, 23 Garth April.

Date: Saturday, March 25
Venue: Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein
Kick-off: 17.15 (15.15 GMT) Lubabalo
Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Jaco van Heerden (South Africa), Lourens van der Merwe (South Africa)
TMO: Johan Greeff (South Africa)

Owen Meany    552

The Sharks have confirmed that Keegan Daniel has undergone surgery after fracturing his right arm, as we reported yesterday.

The recovery timeline for the radial fracture has been estimated at 12 weeks – a blow indeed. Best of luck for the rehab, Keegan.

• Like 1

supersupporter    798
3 hours ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

What has happened to Keegan Daniels?

You know what i did not even realise he was not there, nowadays there is so much player movement one just loses track and looks at the team running onto the field.

supersupporter    798

I must say that if i were a Bok coach and I was picking a team, those Du Preez twins would definitely be a consideration, but I would drop any player on the team who passes the ball to them. The kids are extremely strong but fuck me they cannot hang on to a ball. I thought by now they would have worked on their ball retention.

• Like 1

DbDraad    595

They looked better in previous matches this season, but you're right, they should sort out their butter fingers.

• Like 1

J1M1    552

It would help if they used both hands..........

• Like 1

DbDraad    595

It seems to be a new trend, players running with the ball in one hand that is. Saw it a couple of times this year.

vlagman    914
3 hours ago, DbDraad said:

It seems to be a new trend, players running with the ball in one hand that is. Saw it a couple of times this year.

Goes back to what so many say on so many occasions. Stuff the side shows and get back to and stick to the basics. 

46 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

It is almost as if the contact with the opposition is more important than getting over the gain line with ball in hand.

Age old SA rugby issue. Players from other countries attack the gaps between the opposing defenders . We attack the opposing defenders. 

• Like 1

vlagman    914
18 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

SA male ego thing?

Probably but I think that it could also have something to do with the myth that SA rugby players are all big strong beasts who can run through anything and anyone. Commentators are always talking about the big strong SA rugby players. They may have been bigger and stronger way back then but nowadays they are no bigger or stronger than any other players. In fact, I would think that they are in many ways weaker. 

When last did the Boks or any SA side, for that matter, really dominated up front for instance? We have been kakking in the scums for ages, for example, and that is despite having supposedly some of the best scrumming gurus in the coaching setup, or so they say. Same goes for the rest of our forwards. They are no better than average. We do not have a single world class forward. Not one. Fokol. I would go as far as saying that we do not have a single world class player in the squad at the moment.

FFS. I am trying to stay possible but maybe I am just in the gutters with all my teams at the moment because they are all kak at the moment. Fucking Arsenal git clobbered 3-0 by Crystal Palace last night. They Bulls are fucked. Toulon are battling. At least I had a good one at the Madejski on Saturday. Went to watch London Irish v Rotherham Titans and the Irish moered them 83-3. Although, Irish are leading the log by miles and Rotherham is propping up the other end of the log. :36_11_6:

• Like 1

Mata Hari    483
7 hours ago, supersupporter said:

I go for the gap :)

I know a few men that go for the gap. But seemingly not on the rugby field :36_11_6:

Edited by Mata Hari
  • Like 1

J1M1    552
On 4/11/2017 at 11:44 AM, Mata Hari said:

I know a few men that go for the gap. But seemingly not on the rugby field :36_11_6:

The queens town team won by 2 tries and 1 conversion............

J1M1    552

IMHO if the Sharks want to start winning more games they should get rid of the Beast. For whatever reason, he's a shadow of the player he was.

J1M1    552

"Rotation"........another cliche for tired/pap/no desire.........he's been a passenger for too many games that I've watched. Problem is, i think he's infecting those around him........ah well, sign up for another Nivea advert Beast.

• Like 1

J1M1    552

Have the Sharks underestimated the Argies?

Methinks so.............tick-tock.

Stu    863
22 hours ago, J1M1 said:

Have the Sharks underestimated the Argies?

Methinks so.............tick-tock.

Nope.

J1M1    552
2 hours ago, Stu said:

Nope.

Delighted to be proven wrong.................stuffed up my S/Bru again!!

:110104_emM5_prv[1]:

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Radiance Space
    Newest Member
    Radiance Space