Sign in to follow this  
Arlecchino

Proteas will head to England with some questions

vlagman    880
1 hour ago, J1M1 said:

Edddie Barlow........?

Yeah Bunter. I heard this story about him. Not sure if it is true though. 

Apparently when he started playing senior cricket as a 16 year old he arrived in the changing room and started getting his kit out. When he got ready to go in to bat one of the guys asked him where his helmet was. He wanted to know why that was important and was told that it obviously would protect him against a ball to the head. He asked them: "What's the problem? Don't you guys have bats?"

taipan    1,380
14 minutes ago, vlagman said:

Yeah Bunter. I heard this story about him. Not sure if it is true though. 

Apparently when he started playing senior cricket as a 16 year old he arrived in the changing room and started getting his kit out. When he got ready to go in to bat one of the guys asked him where his helmet was. He wanted to know why that was important and was told that it obviously would protect him against a ball to the head. He asked them: "What's the problem? Don't you guys have bats?"

I will put good money it's not true. That would have been in the 50's, long before helmets.

vlagman    880
31 minutes ago, taipan said:

I will put good money it's not true. That would have been in the 50's, long before helmets.

What I was thinking when I first heard it. It would have been funny had it been plausible. LOL

DbDraad    580
3 hours ago, taipan said:

That was the 3rd test. He missed the 4th through back spasms.

I know, but he still played in the 3rd after being hospitalized...and the 4th started only a few days later. Dehydration is a bitch on the muscles...I'm no docktor, but it's not a stretch to think that it was part of the cause. Phil could work on his fitness though.

taipan    1,380

He's been coaching around for a while. Anyone would be an improvement on Domingo.

J1M1    539
2 hours ago, taipan said:

He's been coaching around for a while. Anyone would be an improvement on Domingo.

Nothing on the "local" horizon to excite us?

taipan    1,380

Maybe Boucher in a while. Gary Kirsten.

IMHO the players have lost their work ethic which would explain the pisspoor fielding and why Philander is so fat. The players were quite happy for Domingo to remain as he wasn't challenging them.

• Like 1

Docker    424

Some noise around M Morkel opting for a Kolpak deal which would be a bad result for the national team.

Docker    424
On 8/11/2017 at 3:12 PM, taipan said:

He would be an interesting selection. He has been exposed to various national setups so he might have a few fresh ideas.

taipan    1,380
23 minutes ago, Docker said:

Some noise around M Morkel opting for a Kolpak deal which would be a bad result for the national team.

Would make sense for him. At 33 he is pretty old in fast bowling years. It would also free him up for Big Bash.

Docker    424
5 minutes ago, taipan said:

Would make sense for him. At 33 he is pretty old in fast bowling years. It would also free him up for Big Bash.

His wife is heavily involved in the Big Bash coverage so his involvement with a team wouldn't surprise. Paddy Upton was or is the coach of the one of the Sydney teams so that might be chance.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Imaging Central
    Newest Member
    Imaging Central