Sign in to follow this  
J1M1

Goodbye Sanzaar?

J1M1    577

Although the official announcement of which two South African Super Rugby franchises will be axed is set for next Friday‚ sources have confirmed the Southern Kings and Cheetahs are gone. And they will be joining the European Pro 12 competition (which is likely to change its name to Pro 14) as early as this September. The competition features the likes of Irish giants Leinster and Munster‚ Cardiff Blues from Wales and the Glasgow Warriors from Scotland.

The introduction of the two SA teams into Europe’s Pro 12 competition could also mark the beginning of the end of the Sanzaar (South Africa‚ New Zealand‚ Australia and Argentina Rugby)) alliance in its current form.

Reports have been leaked that the deal has been done and TimesLIVE has ascertained that not only are two South African teams set to join the tournament‚ but a healthy split of broadcast rights has also been negotiated. And that’s not all. Last month Sanzaar had an emergency meeting (via conference call) to try and unscramble the egg that is the culling of three Super Rugby teams‚ mainly to humour Australia.

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) faces legal action from the Melbourne Rebels and possibly the Western Force if one of those teams is cut from Super Rugby at the end of the current season. The difficulty for the ARU is that the deal was decided by Sanzaar before the ARU had fully worked it through with its franchises.

SA Rugby went to the London meeting in April with a clear mandate and a planned course of action knowing two teams were likely to be on the chopping block. They had a contingency plan with the Pro 12 in place. The ARU went with nothing but hope. The upshot is that the ARU are now desperately trying to find a way to retain five teams to avoid an unseemly legal battle‚ even though Australian rugby cannot sustain four franchises‚ let alone five.

Which brings us back to the Pro 12. The Cheetahs and the Kings are not unhappy about developments because they will still earn good money from broadcast rights (paid in pounds)‚ have less travel and probably a better chance of success. Insiders at both unions have suggested they will be financially and physically better off than they are in Super Rugby.

The fissures in Sanzaar are developing into a cavernous void. South African franchises are coming round to the idea that they might be better served in a different competition‚ happy to leave New Zealand and Australia to entertain each other. The Cheetahs and Kings might suddenly find players approaching them for contracts to extricate themselves from arduous Super Rugby duty.

The argument that SA teams are better off playing against NZ teams because they are the benchmark of rugby excellence is questionable. The gulf in class appears to be widening despite regular competition against NZ teams.

NZ rugby is also strong because of its relationship with SA. NZ is propped up by the vast sums of television money earned via Sanzaar‚ which is underpinned by a strong TV viewership emanating from SA. Without it‚ NZ wouldn’t be able to afford to keep its top players and very soon a player brain drain would have a negative impact on their rugby as well.

In terms of Sanzaar‚ the battle lines are quite simple – NZ brings the best quality and SA brings the audience and therefore the most money. Australia brings very little. A move into Europe by SA teams will damage Sanzaar’s equilibrium and have a huge impact on NZ and to a lesser extent‚ Australia.

But the deal is done and SA’s first steps towards Europe are a reality. It’s only a matter of time before this move kills off the Sanzaar consortium as we know it. And for many‚ it’s not a moment too soon.

- Times LIVE

• Like 3

taipan    1,493

I have been calling for this for years. Super ugly will keep the likes of the Jaguares who lost at home to the Kings, and SunWolves who were thrashed by  the Lions. It has become a joke competition.

• Like 2

supersupporter    828

I think this is a good move for SA Rugby, the guys can get to earn good money and we may even see many European players move to SA so they can play rugby for SA sides. This I think could be good all round.

No more travel nonsense which we all know has never favoured SA, travelling long distance to every country where NZ only really have SA as a long haul.

• Like 1

taipan    1,493

And South Africans playing for Pro 14 teams will be eligible for Bok selection.

the big losers will be NZ. Let's see how they keep AB's in NZ without South African sponsorship money.

• Like 2

Docker    446

I could never understand the need to expand super rugby when clearly shrinking it was the obvious solution.

• Like 4

The Don    257

Agree with all above. The sooner the demise the better.

• Like 2

vlagman    947

How sad. As you all know, I am a great supporter of SANZAAR, and I would be very sad to see them choke in their own snot. :bounce:

• Like 1

Docker    446

The Force got the lemon and all parties are off to court. This could drag on for awhile - the Force have found some backers with deep pockets.

Hawk_Eye    1,399
On 03/07/2017 at 1:38 PM, vlagman said:

How sad. As you all know, I am a great supporter of SANZAAR, and I would be very sad to see them choke in their own snot. :bounce:

50 minutes ago, Docker said:

The Force got the lemon and all parties are off to court. This could drag on for awhile - the Force have found some backers with deep pockets.

32 minutes ago, taipan said:

FUBAR

The sad thing is that SANZAAR are the architects of their own demise.  They have only themselves (their and the greed of the media) to blame for the situation they find themselves in.  It was quite obvious from the onset to many of the posters (when there still were many) on this site that the continuous enlargement would eventually lead to disruption, inequality and worst of all the supporters who are the life-blood will start to loose interest.  You simply cannot grow a product larger than the need of the market.

If they sub-divided the competition and had two divisions where the winner of division B would join the division A and the loser of A would then be relegated to B etc - it may have worked better than this ill conceived nonsense.  I agree with the Force, challenge the status quo.

Whilst the fa cats like Marinos sit back and receive their bloated salaries many a player now faces a hefty pay-cut which is not of his making.

Just goes to show, too much of a good thing is not always good..

• Like 2

taipan    1,493

It was too obvious.

Tests in cricket are being totally destroyed by the same greed.

Soccer is going to implode up its own arse if they won't curb the excessive transfer fees and salaries.

Edited by taipan
  • Like 2

supersupporter    828

I think had it not been for the Pro12, Kings and Cheetahs would have done exactly the same and taken SANZAAR to court. Fortunately for the SA sides the NH has opened a market to tap into and it is a market they are keen to explore, every Welshman i have spoken to is so excited about the future of the Pro14 and local rugby. They like us think this will allow them access to another standard and level of rugby.

• Like 2

supersupporter    828

What do we know, after all every week we are the ones who watch these games, I bet you SANZAAR board do not even watch any of them.

I think SANZAAR may be in kak, if the PRO14 works out, i think there are plans to expand, this is why they have the 2 conference system, to enable more SA sides to join.

http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/pro14/80591-why-sa-market-is-more-attractive-for-euro-expansion

taipan    1,493
2 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

What do we know, after all every week we are the ones who watch these games, I bet you SANZAAR board do not even watch any of them.

I think SANZAAR may be in kak, if the PRO14 works out, i think there are plans to expand, this is why they have the 2 conference system, to enable more SA sides to join.

http://www.rugby365.com/tournaments/pro14/80591-why-sa-market-is-more-attractive-for-euro-expansion

I think NZ and Aus may be in kak.

• Like 2

supersupporter    828

I think so too....it does not matter how many Japanese, Island etc sides they have, it is not SA and I think i read somewhere that having a platform to play SA on a regular basis has helped NZ rugby get to where it is today and that without them (SA) they would be financially in trouble and their game most certainly would not be at the level it is.

Playing in the north could actually help SA rugby tremendously, they can earn more money, preventing so many players from leaving. The only thing that still poses an issue is transformation.

taipan    1,493

SA TV money was financing most of super rugby.

super rugby is in deep shit in NZ. The crowds have disappeared 

vlagman    947

SANZAAR found themselves in a hole and they either forgot about the first rule or they do not know it. 

They found themselves in the hole because they forgot another basic rule. Never try to fix something that is not broken. 

Hawk_Eye    1,399
2 hours ago, vlagman said:

SANZAAR found themselves in a hole and they either forgot about the first rule or they do not know it. 

They found themselves in the hole because they forgot another basic rule. Never try to fix something that is not broken. 

They found themselves with Marinos..

vlagman    947
6 hours ago, Hawk_Eye said:

6 hours ago, Hawk_Eye said:

@vlagman Is mos daai merino's skaap wat wurm op die brein kry, nê..  :sorry-and-blushed:

Jy weet mos ek is laaaaaaankal geen fên van daai Marinos dwis nie. Nou sien Ek die poepol het nog nie agtergekom dit is nie net die aantal spanne wat die probleem is nie. Kan die knaterkop en sy trawante nie agterkom dat die formaat net soveel, indien nie meer, van 'n faktor is nie? Hulle moet nie teruggaan na die Super 15 nie. Hulle moet teruggaan Super14 toe. Die aantal spanne en die formaat. En dan brei hulle net die grootte van die "squads" uit.

In plaas van die huidige, ongeveer 35, maak hulle dit tussen 40 en 50. Dan kry jy steeds meer spelers betrokke en jy maak dit moontlik om 'n behoorlike rotasie sisteem in plek te kry sodat die spelers behoorlik kan uitrus. 

Ek gaan nie eens weer probeer jockey dat hulle die NH roete volg nie want hulle is hopeloos te vlak in die dak daarvoor. 

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Rudi
    Newest Member
    Rudi