Sign in to follow this  
J1M1

Goodbye Sanzaar?

It will take SA times to come to grips with Pro14. We must also remember the Cheetahs are been playing non stop since the start of Superrubgy, through the Currie Cup and have also lost players to the Boks.

Was thinking the same, Taip. Would have loved to see the Cheetahs win last night but I agree. They will eventually come to grips. I'm sure if that. 

19 minutes ago, taipan said:

The European teams will battle in SA

It'll be summer here............

1 hour ago, taipan said:

The European teams will battle in SA

1 hour ago, J1M1 said:

It'll be summer here............

I just thought of another advantage for both the SA and European teams if this becomes a success. It would help both to get used to NH and SH pitches and refereeing. It could also, eventually pave the way to the universal rugby season that many want. 

• Like 1

And the saffies playing in Pro14 teams will be playing in an SA competition so be eligible for Boks.

12 minutes ago, taipan said:

And the saffies playing in Pro14 teams will be playing in an SA competition so be eligible for Boks.

WTF are we still doing sucking up to NZ then, one might ask. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vlagman said:

WTF are we still doing sucking up to NZ then, one might ask. 

I have been asking that for must to be close to 5 years. NZ is dependent on SA money

• Like 1

And I was wondering for how long they'll allow the sub-standard SH teams to drag their tournament down to SH levels... :-P

Another thought I had was the fact that we don't have enough quality players for 6 Super Rugby teams, so now we suddenly have enough for 4 Super Rugby teams and 2 Pro 14 teams... Still the same amount of players.... or less... and still the same amount of teams...

• Like 1

watching Sharks v Free State i suspect the Currie Cup is degraded.......a Free State 3rd team?

22 hours ago, taipan said:

Watching Kings Scarlets. Within 2 years the SA teams will dominate this tournament.

I agree, we need to give these guys a chance, this is all new and davids was also given the same chances when he started the SR year and we all know how the Kings did. I think just like you, a couple years and we will see our sides dominate.

• Like 1

Wasn't really disappointed by the Cheetahs this weekend. We had Blommetjies on Flyhalf because our 3 top flyhalf are all injured. 

Center's we have a guy that only played 2 currie cup game going against an international players. We scrummed them and won that battle, even when we only had 7 forwards on the pitch. If we get some of our boks back we will be stronger. 

Question, this competition will be played when the six nations is on. Correct? Will we then face them with weaker teams?  

If i am correct both the teams the Cheetahs and Kings played was in the final last year? 

1 hour ago, taipan said:

Scarlets were champions

So for the Kings who has almost lost the whole squad that played in Super Rugby to be in the game for 20mins isn't that bad :)

Docker can probably add to this story.................

Tycoon plans rebel rugby league

Australian mining magnate Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest on Tuesday announced plans to put together a rebel Indo-Pacific rugby competition after the Western Force lost a legal appeal against their axing from Super Rugby.

Forrest did not say which clubs he was targeting for his rebel league, but said he would encourage South Africa and other teams to "come across" from Sanzaar.

Forrest, a billionaire backer of the club's parent body RugbyWA, said six teams would initially be involved, including the Western Force, with the league starting "as soon as possible".

"It will involve key countries across the Indo-Pacific region who have approached us or who have publicly stated their deep conviction to rugby if they could be included in an Indo-Pacific arena," he said in Perth.

"We will include strong and deeply powerful players, broadcasters and fans of rugby all across the Indo-Pacific region where some 60% of the world's people live on our time-frame right here in Western Australia."

Forrest, founder and chairman of Fortescue Metals, said he planned to kick off the competition with an international game.

"You may be assured I don't let the grass grow under my feet. It will be as soon as possible and certainly much faster, I think, than the ARU could ever organise." 

22 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

Docker can probably add to this story.................

Tycoon plans rebel rugby league

Australian mining magnate Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest on Tuesday announced plans to put together a rebel Indo-Pacific rugby competition after the Western Force lost a legal appeal against their axing from Super Rugby.

Forrest did not say which clubs he was targeting for his rebel league, but said he would encourage South Africa and other teams to "come across" from Sanzaar.

Forrest, a billionaire backer of the club's parent body RugbyWA, said six teams would initially be involved, including the Western Force, with the league starting "as soon as possible".

"It will involve key countries across the Indo-Pacific region who have approached us or who have publicly stated their deep conviction to rugby if they could be included in an Indo-Pacific arena," he said in Perth.

"We will include strong and deeply powerful players, broadcasters and fans of rugby all across the Indo-Pacific region where some 60% of the world's people live on our time-frame right here in Western Australia."

Forrest, founder and chairman of Fortescue Metals, said he planned to kick off the competition with an international game.

"You may be assured I don't let the grass grow under my feet. It will be as soon as possible and certainly much faster, I think, than the ARU could ever organise." 

Twiggy is full of shit. The league won't happen if Twiggy has to write any cheques. He collected a dividend cheque of $AUD445 million the other day but is as mean as cat shit. He makes grand donations of $400 million and gets all sorts of press but people don't realise he is simply moving FMG script into a private charitable trust which he controls and gets a full tax deduction for value of the shares transferred. Bill Gates etc do the same thing - they continue control the voting rights of the shares and get huge tax breaks for same. The reality is that if the likes of Twiggy started selling large blocks of FMG shares the price would collapse. Twiggy has sat on his hands for years watching the Western Force bleed money and had he started writing cheques a few years ago none of this would have happened.

To be fair Twiggy doesn't have to donate money but methinks his primary motivation is tax driven. Under the rules of private charitable trusts 80% of the income of the trust must be distributed for charitable purposes but the capital can be retained indefinitely. Twiggy has transferred around $AUD480 million to his foundation to date but has only likely received dividends of around $20 million so far

Edited by Docker
  • Like 2

I'm happy to see someone, anyone, pushing back against the suits - the Islanders might be a really worthwhile "investment" & ultimately help get rid of the NZ monopoly???

On 9/2/2017 at 8:50 PM, Barnacle said:

And I was wondering for how long they'll allow the sub-standard SH teams to drag their tournament down to SH levels... :-P

If the Kings and Cheetahs are not fielding their full strength side, I'm not to sure if the Pro14 competition will put up with it for very long at all.

If you're financing a pro team and you have to pay to travel to SA to play, then I suggest you shouldn't have to put up with this at all. Not even to mention quotas.

16 minutes ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

If the Kings and Cheetahs are not fielding their full strength side, I'm not to sure if the Pro14 competition will put up with it for very long at all.

If you're financing a pro team and you have to pay to travel to SA to play, then I suggest you shouldn't have to put up with this at all. Not even to mention quotas.

I think that they are well aware of the reasons why these two teams are not seemingly up to it right from the start. They haven't put this together over a pint in a pub. I'm sure that they have taken a lot into account. I, for one, hope that it turns into a moerse success. 

I think it will turn into a success, we just need to give them a chance, they faced 2 very good sides on their debut, the Kings for one are a new side missing some very key influential players from SR. The Cheetahs were also not at full strength.

We need to give them time to get over what will be 18 months straight rugby by the time this Pro14 comes to an end and next year we will be better prepared for both sides.

• Like 1

It's a work in progress. It will be judged over a couple of years. I seriously don't see a problem

• Like 2

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Goraan
    Newest Member
    Goraan