Sign in to follow this  
supersupporter

World Rugby announce 6 law changes

supersupporter    828

http://www.englandrugby.com/news/world-rugby-announce-six-law-changes/?sf99451364=1#

Throwing the ball into the scrum

Law 20.5 & 20.5 (d) 5

No signal from referee. The scrum-half must throw the ball in straight, but is allowed to align their shoulder on the middle line of the scrum, therefore allowing them to stand a shoulder width towards their own side of the middle line.

Rationale: To promote scrum stability, a fair contest for possession while also giving the advantage to the team throwing in. (I love this fair contest yet the scrummy will be standing on the other half of the scrum and we all know very well it will not be put in straight.)

Handling in the scrum – exception

Law 20.9 (b)

The number eight shall be allowed to pick the ball from the feet of the second-rows.

Rationale: To promote continuity.

Striking after the throw-in

Law 20

Once the ball touches the ground in the tunnel, any front-row player may use either foot to try to win possession of the ball. One player from the team who put the ball in must strike for the ball.

Rationale: To promote a fair contest for possession.

Sanction: Free-kick

Law 15.4 (c)

The tackler must get up before playing the ball and then can only play from their own side of the tackle “gate”.

Rationale: To make the tackle/ruck simpler for players and referees and more consistent with the rest of that law.

Ruck

Law 16

A ruck commences when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground (tackled player, tackler). At this point the offside lines are created. Players on their feet may use their hands to pick up the ball as long as this is immediate. As soon as an opposition player arrives, no hands can be used.

Rationale: To make the ruck simpler for players and referees.

Other ruck offences

Law 16.4

A player must not kick the ball out of a ruck. The player can only hook it in a backwards motion.

Rationale: To promote player welfare and to make it consistent with scrum law.

Sanction: Penalty

*The November 2017 Tests will operate under the full global law trials, while Women’s Rugby World Cup 2017 will operate under the package of five global law trials that has been operational in the southern hemisphere since January and was operational during the June test window.

supersupporter    828

I would love to see a law introduced that once a players knees touch the ground then the tackle exists (That is already how it is) however I then would like to see a law that as soon as the players elbow touches the ground he is not allowed to pop the ball up to oncoming players.

I have always found this an unfair advantage since the other players on the ground are not allowed to play the ball until they get to their feet. This law is worse in 7's but in the 15 player game i think it is still a huge factor and placing the ball should be all he can do unless he releases and gets to his feet.

WeDaFaKaWe    336
19 hours ago, supersupporter said:

Law 20.9 (b)

The number eight shall be allowed to pick the ball from the feet of the second-rows.

When is the No8 disengaged? When he touches the ball with hand? When can the opposing scrummie tackle him?

19 hours ago, supersupporter said:

Law 16.4

A player must not kick the ball out of a ruck. The player can only hook it in a backwards motion.

This is good if I understand it correctly. Does it mean that the opposing players may not kick the ball past the scrummie?

• Like 1

OomValkOog    540
On 20/07/2017 at 10:18 PM, taipan said:

I would like to see all the laws simplified.

Slowly, but surely the game is being fucked-up -- just like the world.  Why all the changes?  William Webb Ellis is rotating in his grave.  

I played the game from a "tjokkertjie" in grade three - standard one- until I was nearly thirty five - but it ain't the same no more. Too much has changed to suit the brawn and do away with the brain.

I'd like to see a lock jump on his own steam and only supported once his feet hit the ground.  I'd like to see a scrummy actually throw the ball in straight - as is the case with line outs - many a skew line out is now regarded as OK by officials.  This stupid new law which stops a player from even trying to tackle a ball-carrier when he ducks - because it will be deemed a high-tackel - is also bullshit.

Technology has not really made the game better - it has made it a circus .

Barnacle    530

My "Not so Humble" Opinion...

Throwing the ball into the scrum

Law 20.5 & 20.5 (d) 5

No signal from referee. The scrum-half must throw the ball in straight, but is allowed to align their shoulder on the middle line of the scrum, therefore allowing them to stand a shoulder width towards their own side of the middle line.

Rationale: To promote scrum stability, a fair contest for possession while also giving the advantage to the team throwing in.

Comment: The position of the scrum-half has ZERO influence on the stability of the scrum, so it cannot be part of the “rationale”, as it is irrational. How is it a “fair contest”, when you give advantage to a specific team. There is already an advantage in terms of the team throwing in, knowing the timing of the put-in and the hooker of the team throwing in is closer to the ball already. Giving additional advantages definitely do not make the contest “more fair”.

Suggestion: Just APPLY the current laws!

Handling in the scrum – exception

Law 20.9 (b)

Rationale: To promote continuity.

Comment: This does not amount to much in normal situations. It does however protect a weaker team as it allows them to get the ball out quicker.

Suggestion: Can be tested.

Striking after the throw-in

Law 20

Once the ball touches the ground in the tunnel, any front-row player may use either foot to try to win possession of the ball. One player from the team who put the ball in must strike for the ball.

Rationale: To promote a fair contest for possession.

Sanction: Free-kick

Comment: In isolation the “rationale” may promote a “fair contest”, but the stability of the scrum is severely compromised when the prop, who supplies the stability is allowed to move his leg a considerable distance away from a “braced” position from which he is unlikely to recover if a considerable force is applied. The law change promotes instability and increases the risk for injury.

Suggestion: Do not apply as it increases rick for injury! Just APPLY current laws.

Law 15.4 (c)

The tackler must get up before playing the ball and then can only play from their own side of the tackle “gate”.

Rationale: To make the tackle/ruck simpler for players and referees and more consistent with the rest of that law.

Comment: It removes the fair contest for possession and gives an extreme advantage to an attacking side. Getting up taking a single step to your “own side” and only then contesting give a time frame for a support attacking player to cover about 6m to protect the ball. So even if he was too slow to be an effective supporter the law change now allows him to become an effective supporter, even though he might have been too slow in the first place. This removes a “fair contest” for possession in open play.

Suggestion: Just APPLY the current laws!

Ruck

Law 16

A ruck commences when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball which is on the ground (tackled player, tackler). At this point the offside lines are created. Players on their feet may use their hands to pick up the ball as long as this is immediate. As soon as an opposition player arrives, no hands can be used.

Rationale: To make the ruck simpler for players and referees.

Comment: This cannot be a ruck. It is a player standing over the ball in open play. Nothing more. This means a player approaching the player standing over the ball, may not pick up the ball and is forced to make contact with the player and not the ball. Firstly this forces contact, which increases the risk of injury. Secondly, this is only to make it simpler for players and referees, who do not understand the law in the first place.

Suggestion: Train referees and coach players so that they know and understand the current laws. There is nothing wrong with the current laws.

Other ruck offences

Law 16.4

Rationale: To promote player welfare and to make it consistent with scrum law.

Sanction: Penalty

Comment: It is a good idea and the only proposed change where the rationale actually makes some sense (player welfare).

Suggestion: Can be tested.

Further suggestions:

Scrum Laws:

Train referees to understand the motion of bodies and the transfer of force. 90% of the scrums are currently adjudicated incorrectly, which leads to a huge amount of penalties being “milked” where the cheating side normally wins the penalty. This is because the team throwing in know, they will usually gain the advantage as the defending team gets penalised in most cases. If the team already won the possession, it means they have already gained the advantage from the knock-on (or forward pass). Allow them to play the ball! They already have it!

In the case of repeated collapsed scrums, where the props from both teams clearly do not have the necessary competence or are clearly not coached correctly, make a forced substitution of all front row players. If collapsing continues, remove all props and play uncontested scrums. This measure is drastic, but it will generally prevent props from collapsing the scrum (injury risk) and both teams will be equally punished. No player wants to leave the field (pride), especially when it indicates incompetence!

• Like 1

supersupporter    828

Law 15.4 (c)

Rationale: To make the tackle/ruck simpler for players and referees and more consistent with the rest of that law.

I wish they would address the issue of the tackled player being allowed to play the ball after the tackle, I would love nothing more than to see this stopped, once a players knees touch the ground he is deemed as being tackled and thus the tackler must release..that is fine..

However I would like to see the tackled player prevented from popping the ball up once his elbow has touched the ground like in league. My issue and this has always been in issue in 15's and more so in the 7's game. A player tackles another, one player from each side is on the floor, only one player is technically out of play and cannot play the ball, so there is 6 vs 7. They should ban the popping of the ball or even rolling it back and only allow the ball to be placed within arm distance to allow a fair contest for the ball.

Barnacle    530

I don't have too much of a problem, with the pop pass, as long as it is immediate. Because that is in fact what the law states. Once again this is the crap of the refereed interpreting "immediate" as something different from immediate. I've seen players move the ball side to side away from others attempting to take the ball and only after that make a pass and play goes on...

A change that I would also like to see is that when a player is forced to ground (one knee), even without continued contact becomes a tackle. Too many players are properly tackled, but only slip out of the tackle after it is complete and the referee calls "play on... not held..." That is a load of bullshit, because the tackle is complete, the moment his knee touches the ground. But to clean it up, so that there is no doubt, you just include the fact that if a defender forced the player to go down onto one knee (even without continuously maintaining contact), it should be sufficient to constitute a tackle.

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Rudi
    Newest Member
    Rudi