Sign in to follow this  
Hawk_Eye

More RIPs

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/20/obituaries/della-reese-singer-and-touched-by-an-angel-star-dies-at-86.html

Della Reese, the husky-voiced singer and actress who spent almost a decade playing a down-to-earth heavenly messenger on the CBS series “Touched by an Angel” and became an ordained minister in real life, died on Sunday night at her home in Encino, Calif. She was 86.

Her death was confirmed by her manager, Lynda Bensky. She did not specify the cause but said that Ms. Reese had diabetes.

Ms. Reese had been under contract to Jubilee Records for three years when, in 1957, she had her first big hit record, the romantic ballad “And That Reminds Me.”

Named the year’s most promising “girl singer” by Billboard, Variety and Cash Box, she was soon making regular appearances on the leading television variety shows of the day. Her biggest hit was “Don’t You Know” — adapted from “Musetta’s Waltz,” an aria from “La Bohème” — which reached No. 2 on the Billboard singles chart in 1959.

But she became best known as an actress, particularly in the sentimental drama series “Touched by an Angel,” which had its premiere in 1994 and evolved into one of prime time’s top-rated shows. It placed in the Nielsen Top 10 from 1996 to 2000, with an average of more than 20 million weekly viewers at one point.

In the show, Ms. Reese, by then in her 60s, was cast as Tess, a stern but loving supervisor of angels who guided a softhearted and less experienced angel, Monica (Roma Downey), in helping humans at crossroads in their lives. The series told reassuring stories of forgiveness and second chances with mild irreverence. (“You get your little angel butt back to the city,” Tess told Monica in one episode.)

Ms. Reese contended that no career switch was involved. “Every time I sang the blues, I wasn’t blue,” she said in a 2008 interview for the Archive of American Television, alluding to her emotional connections and delivery as a vocalist. “I was already acting.” <<SNIP>> - More at link

http://www.cmaworld.com/country-music-legend-mel-tillis-passes/

Legendary singer/songwriter Mel Tillis passed away at the age of 85 Sunday, Nov. 19 in Ocala, Fla.

“As a humorist, singer, songwriter, and performer, Mel set a high standard for all entertainers,” said Sarah Trahern, CMA Chief Executive Officer. “His presence in movies and TV alongside the top actors of the time elevated the profile of Country Music in the ’70s and made Mel a pop culture icon. He will be missed by his family, the industry, and countless fans around the world.”

Born Lonnie Melvin Tillis on Aug. 8, 1932 in Tampa, Fla., Tillis suffered from malaria at age three, which is believed to have caused his trademark stutter. His first public performance was at age 16 in a local talent show. After high school, Tillis joined the United States Air Force and served in Okinawa, where he joined a musical group called The Westerners that performed at military clubs.

Tillis exited military service in 1955 and moved to Dover, Fla., where he worked as a fireman on the Atlantic Coastline Railroad. This enabled him to use his railroad pass to travel to Nashville. A year later he moved to Music City to follow his dreams of being a songwriter. Webb Pierce recorded his song “I’m Tired,” which earned Tillis a songwriter contract with Pierce’s Cedarwood Music Publishing Company. Pierce went on to have success with several more Tillis compositions, including “I Ain’t Never,” “No Love Have I,” “Honky Tonk Song,” “Tupelo County Jail,” and “Sawmill.” During this time other artists also recorded his songs, including Bobby Bare (“Detroit City”), Patsy Cline (“Strange” and “So Wrong”), Stonewall Jackson (“Mary Don’t You Weep”), Brenda Lee (“Emotions”), and Ray Price (“One More Time,” “Burning Memories” and “Heart Over Mind”).

Tillis enjoyed writing songs for others, but he also wanted to be a performer in his own right. His first single, a cover of “It Takes a Worried Man to Sing a Worried Song,” was released in 1957. Tillis charted a Top 40 single in 1958 with his song “The Violet and a Rose” (which later became a hit separately for both Little Jimmy Dickens and Wanda Jackson) and again in 1959 with “Finally.” He also succeeded with “Sawmill” and “Georgia Town Blues,” two duets with Bill Phillips. Heart Over Mind, his first album, was released on Columbia Records in 1962. Tillis teamed with Pierce for the duet “How Come Your Dog Don’t Bite Nobody But Me” in 1963. While on Columbia, Tillis also released singles such as “The Brooklyn Bridge,” “Loco Weed,” and “Walk On, Boy,” before moving to Kapp Records.

In the mid-to-late 1960s, Tillis achieved greater success as both a performer and as a songwriter. After reaching the Top 15 in 1965 with “Wine,” he had success with “Stateside” in 1966 (he named his band The Statesiders after this song), “Life Turned Her That Way” in 1967, and his first Top 10 hit “Who’s Julie?” in 1968. Kenny Rogers and

the First Edition had a Top 10 pop hit with the Tillis-penned “Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love to Town” in 1969. Other artists who recorded hits with Tillis compositions include Waylon Jennings (“Mental Revenge”) and Charley Pride (“The Snakes Crawl at Night”).

Moving from the ’60s into the ’70s, Tillis became a major force on the Country charts. He hit the Top 10 twice in 1969 with “These Lonely Hands of Mine” and “She’ll Be Hanging Around Somewhere.” The next year he reached the Top 5 twice with “Heart Over Mind” and “Heaven Everyday” while also scoring big on the charts that year with “Commercial Affection” and “Arms of a Fool.”

Mel Tillis thanks the crowd after winning the Entertainer of the Year at "The 10th Annual CMA Awards" on Oct. 10, 1976, at the Grand Ole Opry House, live telecast on the CBS Television Network.

He began a series of duets with Sherry Bryce in 1971, including “Take My Hand” and “Living and Learning,” and in 1972 topped the charts for the first time with “I Ain’t Never.” Tillis recorded a series of Top 5 smashes including “Neon Rose,” “Midnight, Me and the Blues,” “Stomp Them Grapes,” “Memory Maker,” and “Woman in the Back of My Mind.” Most of these songs were recorded while Tillis was signed to MGM Records.

In 1976 Tillis was named the CMA Entertainer of the Year. That same year he was also inducted into the Nashville Songwriters International Hall of Fame and he signed with MCA Records. During this time period he scored many No. 1 hits including “Good Woman Blues,” “Heart Healer,” “I Believe in You,” and “Coca Cola Cowboy.”  Tillis moved to Elektra Records in 1979, achieving hits including “Blind in Love,” “Lying Time Again,” “Your Body is an Outlaw,” “Steppin’ Out,” “A Million Old Goodbyes,” and his No. 1 hit, “Southern Rains” in 1981. That same year he released Mel and Nancy, a duet album with Nancy Sinatra featuring the hit “Texas Cowboy Night.” Switching back to MCA Records, Tillis recorded several more hit singles including “In the Middle of the Night” in 1983, and his Top 10 hit, “New Patches” in 1984. Tillis would later record for RCA Records, Mercury Records, and Curb Records. In his career, Tillis scored 36 Top 10 singles, six of which peaked at No. 1. <<SNIP>> - More at link

Della Reese....... my mother’s cousin and his family spent the weekend with us many many moons ago and Della Reese was singing on the radio. I think the song that was such a hit in those days was Don’t You Know. He said to me: “Daai vroumens het aan haar pa gedrink toe sy klein was”. 

• Haha 1

Aretha Franklin not doing good and may pass soon. Celebrities are at the hospital saying goodbye. Arethahas been battling cancer for a while now we are told. We have a source inside the hospital where Ms. Franklin is currently being held & will keep you guys updated.

DPI5pKCVQAABCoI.jpg

It Is With Sad News That We Announce The Passing Of The Queen Of Soul Aretha Franklin 1942-2017

Edited by Hawk_Eye

13 minutes ago, Hawk_Eye said:

Aretha Franklin not doing good and may pass soon. Celebrities are at the hospital saying goodbye. Arethahas been battling cancer for a while now we are told. We have a source inside the hospital where Ms. Franklin is currently being held & will keep you guys updated.

DPI5pKCVQAABCoI.jpg

It Is With Sad News That We Announce The Passing Of The Queen Of Soul Aretha Franklin 1942-2017

Not a massive big fan of shit like the X-Factor but this cover of her “The first time I saw your face” is probably one of the best performances I’ve ever seen. 

Also Angus Young AC/DC RIP................hard livin' man!!

• Like 2

responsible for giving the world Respect, so it’s no surprise her net worth is something to be reckoned with. She deserves it.

The 75-year-old is dubbed as the ‘Queen of Soul’, having been in the music industry for over five decades.

And despite having announced her retirement in February this year, she’s showing no signs of slowing down.

Franklin revealed she was turning her back on music this year, at the age of 74, to spend more time with her grandchildren.

In an interview with Detroit TV station WDIV Local 4 at the start of the year, she said: ‘I must tell you, I am retiring this year.

Aretha Franklin performs onstage in April 2017 (Picture: Theo Wargo/Getty Images for Tribeca Film Festival)

‘This will be my last year. I will be recording, but this will be my last year in concert. This is it.’

Franklin claimed she will still be doing ‘some select things, many one a month, for six months out of the year’.

She added: ‘I feel very, very enriched and satisfied with respect to where my career came from, and where it is now.’

In July, she then announced she is to release a new album with The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

She also declared she will be releasing a studio album, which she is hoping to release in January, featuring duets with the likes of Stevie Wonder, Sir Elton John and Lionel Richie.

The star has suffered from ill health in recent years and cancelled a number of gigs in 2010 to have emergency surgery. She denied reports that she had pancreatic cancer a few years later, although later admitted to having had a tumour removed.

Aretha performs at the Elton John AIDS Foundation 25th Year on November 7, 2017 (Picture: Getty)

But Aretha looked fit and healthy as she performed on stage at Elton John’s AIDS Foundation 25th anniversary gala earlier this month.

Her net worth is estimated at being $60million (£45.3m), according to Celebrity Net Worth.

She’s sold over 75 million records, also receiving an impressive 18 Grammy awards – as well as two honorary Grammy awards.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vlagman said:

“The first time I saw your face”

Ek onthou net Roberta Flack se version uit my jeug..  Maar die boetie was goed.

Jy is reg. Dit was eintlik Roberta Flack se liedjie maar Arethe Franklin het hom ook gesing. 

Jy moet kyk op YouTube wat het die boetie met Britney Spears se “Hit me baby one more time” gedoen. 

Edited by vlagman
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, J1M1 said:

Also Angus Young AC/DC RIP................hard livin' man!!

Malcolm rather than Angus. The older brother George (from the Easybeats) also died this year.

The years haven't been kind to AC/DC. Bon choked on his own vomit, Malcolm lost his mind, Phil Rudd has a raging meth addiction and Johnners can no longer tour with dud hearing

13 hours ago, taipan said:

But Aretha looked fit and healthy as she performed on stage at Elton John’s AIDS Foundation 25th anniversary gala earlier this month.

Whoever wrote this is an easy marker. It looks like she might have survived for now.

I was surprised to see that Jana Novatna had passed - that was sad news. She had one of the great meltdowns of all time 

• Like 1

Ray Thomas gone as well. A wizzard with the flute as well. 

• Sad 2

R I P

Ray Thomas, flautist, vocalist and founding member of the Moody Blues, died Thursday at the age of 76.

Thomas' label Esoteric Recordings/Cherry Red Records confirmed the multi-instrumentalist's death on Facebook, adding that Thomas died suddenly at his home in Surrey, England. No cause of death was announced.

"We are deeply shocked by his passing and will miss his warmth, humour and kindness," the label wrote. "It was a privilege to have known and worked with him and our thoughts are with his family and his wife Lee at this sad time."

Moody Blues bassist John Lodge tweetedSunday, "Ray and I have been on this magical journey through life together since we were 14... two young kids from Birmingham who reached for the stars...and we made it together. El Riot you will always be by my side." Thomas and Lodge played together in their band El Riot and the Rebels in the early Sixties. 

In 1964, after El Riot split, Thomas and keyboardist Mike Pinder formed the Moody Blues alongside drummer Graeme Edge, bassist Clint Warwick and guitarist Denny Laine. That lineup would release the hit "Go Now" and the 1965 LP The Magnificent Moodies, which featured Thomas on lead vocals for the Gershwin cover "It Ain't Necessarily So."

The Moody Blues would soon replace Laine with Justin Hayward and Warwick with Thomas' El Riot band mate Lodge to form the band's classic lineup. As flautist, multi-instrumentalist and singer in the Moody Blues, Thomas appeared on all of the prog rock band's albums – including their classic LPs like Days of Future Passed, In Search of the Lost Chord, A Question of Balance and Every Good Boy Deserves Favour – until his retirement in 2002.

Thomas also wrote and sang Moody Blues tracks like "Twilight Time," "Legend of the Mind," "Dr. Livingstone, I Presume," "Dear Diary" and "And the Tide Rushes In." In addition to his time with the Moody Blues, Thomas also released a pair of solo albums, 1975's From Mighty Oaks and 1976's Hopes, Wishes and Dreams, while the group went on hiatus in the mid-Seventies.

Thomas retired from the Moody Blues in 2002 after suffering from a series of health issues. In 2013, Thomas revealed that he was suffering from "in-operable" prostate cancer. "The cancer is being held in remission but I'll be receiving this treatment for the rest of my life," Thomas wrote on his website.

In December, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced that the Moody Blues' classic lineup – Thomas, Hayward, Edge, Lodge and Pinder – would be inductedas part of the Class of 2018; Laine was subsequently added to the band's Rock Hall roster days later.

Following the announcement, Lodge said in an interview that he was hopeful that both Thomas and Pinder – who left the band in 1978 – would return for the induction ceremony. "If it works, it will be fantastic because it’s a natural thing to do. I’m not trying to force it – it’ll be because it’s supposed to be," Lodge said. "They’ve been an integral part of my life. You can’t dismiss that. It’s locked in there." Hayward also told Rolling Stone he would be open to a reunion of the Moody Blues' classic lineup.

On 22/11/2017 at 4:51 AM, Docker said:

Whoever wrote this is an easy marker. It looks like she might have survived for now.

I was surprised to see that Jana Novatna had passed - that was sad news. She had one of the great meltdowns of all time 

Yes....and yes about the meltdown too.

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Dolores O'Riordan.

Damn.

Who?

13 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

Who?

Lead singer on the Cranberries. She's now a zombie.

20 minutes ago, taipan said:

Lead singer on the Cranberries. She's now a zombie.

Sorry to hear this.........never registered on my radar as a group. The Zombies were a fantastic group.......:110104_emM5_prv[1]:

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Rowan
    Newest Member
    Rowan