Sign in to follow this  
Barnacle

Rugby Laws - 2018 Version

The Rugby Law Book was "simplified" and the article below includes a link to the new version. Some of the trials of 2017 are not included (i.e. the formation of a ruck)

https://www.alloutrugby.com/world-rugby-chops-law-book/

There are a few improvements in explanations, specifically in terms of the line of touch and tables showing, which laws apply in certain circumstances...

HOWEVER... They have now fucked up a little on the throw forward... even more than in the past...

From the definitions:

Forward: Towards the opposition’s dead-ball line.

Throw forward: When a player throws or passes the ball forward i.e. if the arms of the player
passing the ball move forward.

Now, if a players is running forward at fulls speed, aren't his arms moving forward too???

Must be painful when you are running forward and your arms (the complete units) are moving backward? ! Depending on how you read it, you can now interpret it in a lot of extreme ways.

• What is the definition of arms? Is it part of the arm, or the centre of mass of the arm?
  • For the arms not to move forward, all players must come to a complete stop before passing?
  • If I move my arms forward, but flip the ball backwards with my wrists, is it still a throw forward?
  • If you take time, you can add a few more here.....

I think I will prepare a post for the IRB discussion forum, with a few examples to explain the science behind motion, just to confuse them more....

*Insert Evil Laughter here*

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So! are they saying it is no longer how the ball leaves the hand but rather if the arms are pointing forward....Fuck me!! The assholes really know how to make a simple forward pass complicated...

Why don't they just look at the fucken flight of the ball. There is no debating or interpretation there, if the pass is made 50m from the try line and caught after the pass 48m from the try line..it is forward, but we cannot expect the ref to be able to see that, so if a player is passing and they are behind the half way line and the guy catching happens to gather the ball beyond that half way line...here is the answer....it is forward...I did not have to look at:

• how the ball left his hand
  • The direction his arms were pointing
  • The fact that there was enough momentum in the run to cause the ball to go so far forward
  • The direction of his hands, in conjunction with his arms and if he is placed his body square to the try line.

Why can't players just understand that the harder you throw the ball backward the more you can counter any momentum and the ball does not have to go beyond the (parallel to the tryline) point of release

• Like 1

World Rugby arseholes need to fix this jumping crap.

French player runs and watches ball all the time to catch it on the run. All Black player jumps and places himself in a vulnerable position. French player gets red carded. I switch channels to something else... I don't watch KUK!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

French player runs and watches ball all the time to catch it on the run. All Black player jumps and places himself in a vulnerable position. French player gets red carded. I switch channels to something else... I don't watch KUK!

Klop!!! end of...................rugby is NOT a contact sport?

42 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

There is, of course another possible scenario. 

All Black player runs and watches French player all the time to tackle him in the air. French player jumps and places himself in a vulnerable position. All Blacks awarded a scum for knock on by French player despite the French player breaking his ribs in the collision after being blatantly tackled in the air. :bounce:

• Like 1

Ithought that red was correct, Barrett was the only player committed to the ball. That Frenchie was just ball watching and that for me is not good enough, that would mean anyone can just run willy nilly as long as they are watching the ball. The red was correct, what is more concerning is WR step in here and turn this one over and not the one they should have last week.

Later in the game we saw Barrett (jordie) and Fickou go for a ball and both were committed and could have gathered the ball, that is perfect. The red was correct.

No, it is not correct. Rugby is played on your feet. It is a basic principle of the game. Jumping in the air is you deciding to make yourself vulnerable and is against the principles of the game.

In terms of the risk there is also a legal principle...

Volenti non fit iniuria (or injuria) (Latin: "to a willing person, injury is not done") is a common law doctrine which states that if someone willingly places themselves in a position where harm might result, knowing that some degree of harm might result, they are not able to bring a claim against the other party in tort or delict. Volenti applies only to the risk which a reasonable person would consider them as having assumed by their actions; thus a boxer consents to being hit, and to the injuries that might be expected from being hit, but does not consent to (for example) his opponent striking him with an iron bar, or punching him outside the usual terms of boxing. Volenti is also known as a "voluntary assumption of risk."

In short, if YOU assume the risk, it is YOUR problem.

Just as a matter of interest, when the red card was given, I switched channels and I have not watched any test matches after, including the SA test. The fact that World Rugby stepped in and acted reasonably, means I might reconsider.

That is where you are wrong.

Barrett never placed himself in harm's way, he went to catch the ball, it only became harms way when the chaser refused to commit to the ball and all he did was ball watching. Barret was committed to collect that ball, the lazy Frenchman had no intention to catch that ball and was not in a position to catch it.

World Rugby should not have stepped in, maybe a week back they should have, but all they have done is said that as long as you are watching the ball, you can run under a player because he placed himself in harm's way..nonsense.

I agree with Barney that jumping should be banned. I cannot recall rugby having this problem 10 years ago

2 minutes ago, taipan said:

I agree with Barney that jumping should be banned. I cannot recall rugby having this problem 10 years ago

You have a point. It all started when they embarked upon this kak idea of “dissecting” everything into minute little incidences in slow motion. IMO what got the ball rolling was the call that saw Schalk Burger cited for playing a player in the air in the 2007 RWC ........which, coincidentally, happened just more than 10 years ago. 

My problem with jumping is projection. A player standing 3m away from the ball can actually be binned because the receiving player has flown through the air, made contact with stationary player, and he is deemed as playing the player in the air.

Make volleyball style rules, run, stop and jump...Volleyball player can run and jump straight up to spike without touching the net. Make rugby players apply the same logic, that will solve all problems

1 hour ago, vlagman said:

You have a point. It all started when they embarked upon this kak idea of “dissecting” everything into minute little incidences in slow motion. IMO what got the ball rolling was the call that saw Schalk Burger cited for playing a player in the air in the 2007 RWC ........which, coincidentally, happened just more than 10 years ago. 

And the Lions drew the test series in NZ in a bizarre situation when a Lion center jumped into the air for no reason

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Volenti non fit iniuria

Has this ever been tested by a legal team of a player in front of the citing commission?  I would like to see how they circumvent that.

The thing with the citing commission is that they address aspects that occurred outside the laws (rules), so it should not be a problem.

The game however does carry risks and strictly speaking when a player starts playing rugby, they must be made aware of those risks. Interestingly, when I started playing rugby, this exact point was addressed by our coaches at the time. You basically indicated by staying on for the practice (season) that you gave consent to the risk of injury being part of the game.

While the principles of assumption of risk can be applied, each incident much be judged on its own merits. This is actually one of the main reasons we see so little legal action with dirty play. But there have been a small number of  cases where players were successfully sued for injuries, due to actions that occurred outside the laws of the game.

It remains a grey area...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Interestingly, when I started playing rugby, this exact point was addressed by our coaches at the time. You basically indicated by staying on for the practice (season) that you gave consent to the risk of injury being part of the game.

Jip, in training college tou do not really have a choice..LOL.  Yet, all of us who played know that you face dangers in the game.  Now that I am older those rugga injuries have come back to haunt me..

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Goraan
    Newest Member
    Goraan