Sign in to follow this  
J1M1

Player Power

Imagine fans paying a lot of good money travelling & buying tickets to watch Man U, only to witness a weak, half-hearted, losing "performance" because the players didn't like their coach trampling on their delicate multi-millionaire egos........

Pogba & company, we want our money back! 

There is some truth in that, but it cuts both ways. A manager should not be rubbishing his players to the press. Wherever he has been Mourinho has created change room tension as a deliberate play.

As we can now see, there is no point in buying creative players and then not allowing them to play.

Right Taips!

I guess my real problem is that these kids are professional entertainers, and as such should remember that fact.

Instead, they simply don't give a toss about the paying customer.

Imagine Led Zep deciding to play poorly because they had a tiff with Peter Grant......it would never happen methinks because they had enough pride & self respect to honour their audience.

As I said I don't totally disagree. But there is a difference between not playing up to potential and deliberately playing poorly. It is up to the manager to produce conditions conducive to the players delivering their best. This is obviously a combination of many factors including combinations, tactics, mental conditioning, player management etc (see also Allister Coetzee)

To continue the Led Zep analogy, how well would they have played if the manager had provided inferior sound systems?

And btw I am a lifelong MU fan. 51 years and counting, and I didn't watch a game this season until Mourinho was sacked. MU fans expect the team to play in a certain fashion and most view the result as not as important as the style. The tactic of scoring   more goals than the opposition, wins more than you lose.

I am no great Pogba fan but to play him as a defensive midfielder was crazy. Since Ole gave him freedom look at the difference

I know you're a long time Man U fan, and i'd be worried if i was. We'll see how they shape against the quality teams. Recent results were against very soft opposition. 

Fact is, Man U is one of the most powerful brands in world sport - it's a business of note.

They got there, as you rightfully say, by playing an exciting brand of football. imo, Pogba and cronies have done harm to the brand, and should be told in no uncertain terms that they're on notice - perform or piss-off.....irrespective of who sits in the manager's chair. That's what they're paid vast sums of money to do. 

Some alarming info:-

19/12/2018 - 31/05/2019              Ole Gunnar Solskjær      

01/07/2016 - 18/12/2018              José Mourinho 

01/07/2014 - 23/05/2016              Louis van Gaal  

22/04/2014 - 30/06/2014              Ryan Giggs         

01/07/2013 - 21/04/2014              David Moyes     

06/11/1986 - 30/06/2013              Alex Ferguson

Six (6) managers in 5 years? All with multi-million budgets & very little to show for it? Methinks there's something rotten at Old Trafford and the bosses are too scared to take decisive action. Apart from Sir Alex, all of the above were always wrong/useless/not good enough? i don't think so! They all wanted to continue the legacy - that's why they took the gig.

Like any manager, if the workers/players refuse or are incapable of playing to instruction, it's time to go, no matter what the money paid.

I'd be surprised if Mourinho wasn't delighted to be set free from the scenario. Early termination of a contract is an expensive hobby. 

Peter Grant's job was to make sure all the factors that could affect a performance were covered. BUT, he still couldn't influence whether or not the band played well. That was up to them, and the fact they delivered every night made them who they are. 

Of course I am worried, but a few other points to ponder on.

A bit unfair to brand recent opposition as soft. There are few easy games in the EPL. On any given day any team can win. The fact is, in OGS's first game, it was the first time MU have scored 5 since Fergie's last, but they have been paying the same soft opposition every season.  Would United have scored the 12 goals under Mourinho? IMHO he would have parked the bus once MU went one ahead.

Actually according to your table it is 6 managers in 32 years. 😀

But to be serious let's analyze it a bit deeper. We have to look at the managers since Ferguson. Two are only caretaker managers so can be excluded. 

Moyes was good at Everton, but was clearly out of his depth at a bigger club. He didn't know how to handle big name players. To be brutally honest he inherited a poor squad. It was Ferguson's greatest miracles to win the title with that squad, but he had the players behind him. It is also worth noting that he has done nothing since he was sacked.

Van Gaal was an enigma. He came highly touted as an attacking manager. But for some reason that disappeared at MU. Maybe he was simply too old.

With Mourinho we knew what we were getting. He has always played a pragmatic brand of football, changing teams to suit the opposition. Once again IMHO you don't tinker with a winning team. He had a history for alienation change rooms, and because of his ego he places himself before the player and the club. Why were so many players anti him?

So why were they appointed? Moyes was Ferguson's choice. A poor misjudgement. When he was sacked the owners insisted on a big name manager. Giggs wasn't a big enough name so Van Gaal it was. When he failed, the choice was for a proven winner in Mourinho because of the recent lack of success. Once again driven by Sir Alex. Actually I think SAF has a lot to answer for in this entire sorry saga.

As an aside if you have watched any of OGS's conferences he always refers to the players by their forename as opposed to surname. A subtle change of emphasis. 

Back to Peter Grant. I would put big money on that we he didn't dictate to Led Zep what chords they could play, or how long solos would be. He allowed the group freedom of expression, which was sorely lacking under Mourinho.

Time will tell.........

Can't wait for Spurs to play you guys on the 13th........thereafter, your next serious game is Liverpool on the 24th February according to the fixture list

On 1/2/2019 at 3:57 PM, taipan said:

Moyes was good at Everton, but was clearly out of his depth at a bigger club. He didn't know how to handle big name players. To be brutally honest he inherited a poor squad. It was Ferguson's greatest miracles to win the title with that squad, but he had the players behind him. It is also worth noting that he has done nothing since he was sacked.V

The canny Scot could see the drop off coming methinks when he packed it in. He was the master of moving players on at the right time (Beckham etc)

Is the FA Cup becoming irrelevant?

In a packed schedule all the EPL managers really need is another competition..........

i guess it is a money-spinner for the lower league teams when the big clubs come to town........

On 02 January 2019 at 10:21 AM, J1M1 said:

Time will tell.........

Can't wait for Spurs to play you guys on the 13th........thereafter, your next serious game is Liverpool on the 24th February according to the fixture list

Well a great battling victory. Still lots to do

6 hours ago, taipan said:

Well a great battling victory. Still lots to do

Great game!! The Pogba pass killed us.....we had our chances but De Gea earned his pay.......sob!!!

3 hours ago, taipan said:

So OGS is now 8 from 8

Amazing really! Wait till Paul tires of his manager.....

3 hours ago, taipan said:

So OGS is now 8 from 8

As an Arsenal fan it wasn’t nice to watch but it would be good if we could get real clubs at the top again. By real clubs I mean those plastic cheque book clowns like City and the Chavs. Liverpool and Spurs are there already. Now we need ManU and the Gunners to sort out their shyte. Seems ManU has pushed the right button this time. Arsenal did not look too bad either. They just did not handle the two long injury breaks as well as ManU. 

The one point where they killed Arsenal was when they broke out they always had one player going straight down the middle with force whereas the Gunners seemed to try and go to the wings and then come into the goal from the side. What is different from them nowadays is that they fight for possession and do not just wait for the opposition to give away the possession. They are also more aggressive in retaining possession and not give it away easily. 

Old Sir Alex tactics. What pisses me off is why the managers inbetween had to reinvent the wheel.

36 minutes ago, taipan said:

Old Sir Alex tactics. What pisses me off is why the managers inbetween had to reinvent the wheel.

True. But then again, where did OGS learn that? 😀

Maybe it's a case of "my way or the highway"?

Whatever - there's some BIG egos at play............

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Goraan
    Newest Member
    Goraan