Sign in to follow this  
supersupporter

Super Rugby 2019

1 hour ago, supersupporter said:

@Stu have you heard the rumours about Basteraud joining the Sharks possible, I heard yesterday either Sharks or a Japan move.

“Replacement for Beast?”,  some may ask but IMO a tough bastard albeit probably quite a bit slower these days. Surprisingly, at 30, he is not as old as many may think. Probably because he is one of those players who was an early starter and has been around for so long. 

• Like 2

I must be honest I have never really rated him, but have also not followed his entire career so maybe the times I have watched him play he has not really played that well.

2 hours ago, supersupporter said:

I must be honest I have never really rated him, but have also not followed his entire career so maybe the times I have watched him play he has not really played that well.

Probably. He’s no flashy player but when he gets moving he is terrible to bring down. 

I have watched quite a bit of him playing for Toulon and even though there are one or two dodgy hits in this clip, I think he would probably do well with the Sharks if you take into account the way the SA teams play. 

Some of the runs in this clip reminds of Jonah Lomu in a way. 

My summary based on the second match yesterday. I did not watch the first one, as I was busy watching something else at that time...

Bulls:
AAAAAARGH! If they are going to play the one off runners and idiotic pretty rugby of running everything, we are in for another shit season. High risk off-loads are stupid. Running everything is stupid. Smart tactical kicking is a thing of the past it seems. Smart tactical kicking is supposed to form a part of a greater strategy in terms of field position and reaching the areas you can attack from. It seems the mental/thinking aspect is out of the game and running everything without a clear plan makes for a boring game-plan.

Stormers:
A long season of blaming the referees comes to mind. Where the Bulls are coached to play stupidly, the Stormers are coached to play outside the laws as much as possible. Falling over the ball, playing offside, coming in from the side. Fleck is a poor coach and as the years progress, the Stormers rely on the illegal tactics more and more. Where the Bulls have some sort of dull, boring plan, the Stormers don't seem to have any. The Stormers have eagerness and motivation, which will make them dangerous at times, but all you have to do to beat them is play controlled and safe.

The two teams are basically the same level in terms of competence overall.

Skills and decision making:
While much is made of the the skills aspect, it is clear that some skills are being employed more often at the Bulls, such as the off-loads and quicker passes. The decision making however is crap and its clear that we don't have coaches that help the players with those mind-skills. Fourie du Preez is the one person that is NEEDED in the Bulls coaching setup. The Stormers can probably do with any coach with a brain...

This is also one of the main reasons I find (notso)Super Rugby quite boring... The law changes, the refereeing and the coaching have removed intelligent play from the game. Rugby is definitely not the same anymore...

• Like 1

I'm getting too lazy to all the games.... Or just not that interested.

I did watch the Bulls game and was pleasantly surprised by the variation in their play. Also by the decision making. It could have been better, but was good enough for a decent win.

I do not want to say too much now, as they played against a rudderless team. Fleck's coaching has now come full circle. They have no plans on attack. The have no real system on defence and poor decision making all over. It looks more like a bunch of individuals thrown together for a festival game.

And the reason I don't want to say to much about the Bulls play is because the score the Stormers were beaten with, is what one would expect from a half-decent team playing against an ill-prepared team like the Stormers. Those gaps were there last year already. But the other teams generally were just too poor to exploit it.

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 5 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Goraan
    Newest Member
    Goraan