Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hawkeye Admin

Bahrain GP gets go ahead?

Guest Hawkeye Admin

http://www.wheels24.co.za/FormulaOne/Bahrain-GP-Scrap-or-keep-20110603

c93407c146df461cace2009dcc8027fb.jpg

LONDON, England - A Bahrain government official says the nation will host a Formula 1 Grand Prix later in 2011.

Fawaz Al Khalifa, the president of Bahrain's information affairs authority stated on Twitter that the Bahrain Grand Prix will go ahead this season though dates have not been finalised.

He said on Twitter: "Mabrook, Bahrain, will host F1. FIA finalising date now.”

Earlier we reported that Formula 1's governing body will decide today (June 3, 2011) whether to reschedule the Bahrain F1 GP for later this season but some drivers and team officials say the race should just be scrapped this year.

Bahraini organisers insist they are ready to host the race, which should have opened the 2011 racing season but was postponed because of anti-government protests that eventually left at least 30 dead in a brutal state crackdown.

The Bahraini government lifted emergency rule this week and the FIA's World Motor Sport Council will decide on rescheduling when it gathers in Barcelona.

PADDOCK RESISTANCE

Local organisers are hoping for a date close to the November 13 Abu Dhabi GP, which could push the season into December 2011.

While F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone is in favour of that it could also mean rescheduling the first Indian GP that's currently scheduled for October 30.

There is also some resistance in the F1 paddock.

"I'm always in favour of racing more but I think we lost the moment. It had to be when we were there, during the Asian leg of touring," Williams driver Rubens Barrichello said. "It's too tiring, too much to do now."

Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn said any decision that stretched the season to December was "totally unacceptable" since team crews would be left with little time for a break.

On Wednesday the Bahraini military withdrew from the centre of the capital, Manama, but police remained at numerous checkpoints around the city.

'BACK TO NORMAL'

Zayed Rashid Alzayani, chairman of the Bahrain International Circuit, told Associated Press on Wednesday that the Gulf country was "ready to hold the race today".

"We feel we are in position to have that event back," Alzayani said. "Things have calmed down tremendously in Bahrain. Life is back to normal. We are happy to have the race any time."

June 3 is also the day Bahrain's Shi'ite opposition groups called on its supporters to return to the streets - the first such appeal since martial law was declared March 15 to quell dissent in the Gulf kingdom. No major rallies have been held since Bahrain's army overran the protest centre at Manama's Pearl Square on March 17 although several anti-government demonstrations were reported across the tiny island nation on Wednesday when emergency rule expired, signaling more unrest.

However, Ecclestone also felt reassured that the wave of protests that led to the March 13 race being postponed would not be repeated.

BOYCOTT CALL

"We would not have any problem, but if someone wants to get attention that would be a good way to do it," Ecclestone said. "From a safety point of view I don't think there is anything to worry about."

Some human rights groups recently stepped up calls for the race to stay off the calendar and global online community AVAAZ has gathered more than 41 000 signatures on an online petition calling for leading team Red Bull and the rest of the field to boycott a rescheduled Bahrain GP.

Guest DennisL

Drivers have now come out against the Bahrain GP, saying that it will lengthen the season to an unacceptable degree!!

They'd better wake up and smell the coffee, as Bernie is hell bent on beefing up the number of GPs come what may and to hell with what the drivers think!

Guest Solar

I don't know how he can come out and say that from a Safety point of view there's nothing to worry about...where does he get this guarantee? Who knows what factions might be waiting just for this type of stadium to grab a stranglehold on their gripes with government.

But people tend to take their chances where they can, cause at the end of the day, it all comes down to...

Money-Money-Money,

Solar.

This is happening in all sports. Money is ruling and is the decider of a lot of f-ups. Super Rugby has become a joke, with the expansion to 15 teams and when the Argies arrive to 16. Local one day cricket in SA has been stuffed up................. to please the sponsors? Football in the UK is over the top with the number of competitions. They play the EPL, CL, Carling Cup, FA Cup. You find teams playing 9 matches in one month. That is more than tow per week!?!?

If you look at the rugby calender. The competitions run from February to the end of November for the top players. When do these guys have a break? They start their preparations for the next season soon after the end of the EOYT.

Now, they want to extend the F1 season even longer to December. When will they have time to do their testing, etc. If they really wanted to do this, they will have to bend over somewhere and make provision for more testing during the year, since testing is not only important for the development of the cars. Those "test drivers" or whatever we want to call them are also earning massive salaries for sitting around and doing nothing, and if something happens and they have to hop in a car and actually drive a race..............WTF?

Guest Viva Alonso

Now, they want to extend the F1 season even longer to December. When will they have time to do their testing, etc. If they really wanted to do this, they will have to bend over somewhere and make provision for more testing during the year, since testing is not only important for the development of the cars. Those "test drivers" or whatever we want to call them are also earning massive salaries for sitting around and doing nothing, and if something happens and they have to hop in a car and actually drive a race..............WTF?

I don't see why its a problem extending the season by a few weeks? ........ I personnally wont mind seeing them race 11 months a year.

The drivers are paid millions to do a job... and as you said there is "test" drivers siting around doing nothing so teams could use the extra race (after they have won the season / given up on it) to give the test drivers some track time.... for sure RBR will have it won long before the last race/s so why not use thius time to give your test drivers some car time??

The sponsors gets additional exposure...

There is still plenty time pre season and during the year to do testing...

From a spectators point of view it will be great as we don't have to wait 4 months for the next race so the break will be shorter and more bearable!

I don't see why its a problem extending the season by a few weeks? ........ I personnally wont mind seeing them race 11 months a year.

The drivers are paid millions to do a job... and as you said there is "test" drivers siting around doing nothing so teams could use the extra race (after they have won the season / given up on it) to give the test drivers some track time.... for sure RBR will have it won long before the last race/s so why not use thius time to give your test drivers some car time??

The sponsors gets additional exposure...

There is still plenty time pre season and during the year to do testing...

From a spectators point of view it will be great as we don't have to wait 4 months for the next race so the break will be shorter and more bearable!

laugh.gif Of course you would say that. I would love a long season as well, but then again if they could come up with exciting races. Not Bahrain type of crap. It is, from what I can recall, a boring race in any case. :36_11_6: :36_11_6:

Guest DennisL

Lots and lots of luverly Arab lolly!! That's what it is all about.

Nice fat little deposit suddenly appears in Bernie's obscure, unnamed Swiss bBank account, and Bob's your Auntie!!

Guest Wolverine

Well, good old max has added his 2cw - and they can't approve it, they need the consent of all the team (unanimous)

the teams don't want to go, the drivers don't want to go, so I suspect it's not really going to happen.

probably has more to do with them paying some kind of cancellation fee than seriously thinking they will go (i.e. if they can't host the race due to riots ad=nd killing off their citizens, they will have to pay money to Bernie's lot...)

Plus they've shifted the Indian GP to accomodate it, which means that they will be going there on Dec 12th, which is winter in the northern hemisphere, I can't see that they will be happy with that either. and Force India will probably vote against it as a result if the teams have the say, even if the rest decide to play.

to my mind, they should have at least not moved india, and put Bahrain at the end, but then if it's up in the air legally, and the championship is decided (as seems likely, and it would not be the first time the last round was pointless) the teams would probably just not go anyway...

Bernie says it's off... http://www.pitpass.com/43848-Ecclestone-claims-Bahrain-is-off

seems likely to me it won't happen...

more FIA daftness. they had to find some way of putting foot in mouth this year, they've been pretty good so far!!!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Denny
    Newest Member
    Denny