Sign in to follow this  
Arlecchino

Bok Squad

Guest Saffex

Brussow outplayed both Kolisi and Elstadt yesterday, but Minnie and Marcell are our best loosies by a country mile.

Habana's form has improved and he is better than Mvovo at this moment.

Yes, WP Nel is playing much better now than last season. When he announced his departure I thought "good riddance" - I regret that now, but Jannie is also playing better this year, so I will stick with him.

Alberts' injury is not serious and that is why I have included him.

Goosen @10 is perhaps the future and I would rather introduce him into the Bok squad from the bench.

Disagree, Minnie has no brains and gives away far too many penalties, he is not test material

Guest Saffex

Blikkies.

Do you think a player like Goosen would change the style of the South African attacking setup. I am not saying Morne is c5rap , but a part of me thinks he lacks for pace and running guile, Morne can make yards but i wouldnt consider him a guy who will break a line with speed and a supreme step. But as the Bok 10 he will really be the guy who sets up alot of what happens and thereby conducts the style of the backs often enough. Goosen is that bit quicker, and i think he can open up spaces when he runs....But will the Bok setup restrict that in him ???

please guys i am not Morne bashing

Feel free to bash Morne, he is useless

Guest DennisL

My problem is that Morne is also beginning to blow hot and cold far too often.

When was he last HOT ?

Guest DennisL

Disagree, Minnie has no brains and gives away far too many penalties, he is not test material

I'd like to see the penalties thing (he is by far the highest inSuper Rugby) sorted out first, then see if his great game is still at the same level.

Until then, too many question marks.

Guest Saffex

I'd like to see the penalties thing (he is by far the highest inSuper Rugby) sorted out first, then see if his great game is still at the same level.

Until then, too many question marks.

There are many better loosies in SA

Bump!

I dont still think Heyneke Meyer is an arsehole, but I think he blundered quite a bit in some areas. We still don't have a 13 or 5 and 9 is still a concern. 

• Like 1

Bump!

I dont still think Heyneke Meyer is an arsehole, but I think he blundered quite a bit in some areas. We still don't have a 13 or 5 and 9 is still a concern. 

Is it really his fault that no 5, 9 or 15 has surfaced? You do know the story of Winnie Mandela wanting to buy onions, when the green grocer tried to convince her that there were no onions, don't you?

Well I think he can bear some responsibility for 9 for his continued picking of RP. And it is difficult to build a 13 outside JDV 

Edited by taipan

If HM had the balls to make those tough calls 4 years ago, we would not be in the mess we are now. But all he ever did was make excuses and keep selecting players who did not deserve to be there.

Morne is the only player who comes to mind who was dropped and that was down to public pressure, other than that I am not sure HM dropped any player and probaly over 90% of the player he brought in were down so with no option. He had to.

He could have selected a 9 years back who by now would have had 4 years experience, but with his bullshit selections, we are in trouble unless faf is selected.

I am really not going to bank on FdP, he is too old and sadly any team who run the ball at the Boks will beat us just like they were doing a few years back when we had a team of geriatrics

Reinach, was not a bad choice to bring in and be mentored by FdP in the early days with the plan to take over.

But HM only had one plan and that was to play his cronies until,he was forced to look elsewhere.

Memories are short. Hougaard was supposed to be mentored by FdP. Then Someone thought it would be a good idea to play him on the wing.

Is it really his fault that no 5, 9 or 15 has surfaced? You do know the story of Winnie Mandela wanting to buy onions, when the green grocer tried to convince her that there were no onions, don't you?

​Ja, I know, but I think we could have done better in developing players. Jannie at 3 was never going to be replaced with Coenie, so why waste time on it?

HM can never pick a squad that will satisfy all of our armchair critics - there will always be someone who will find something to bitch about.  I am not too worried about who' who in the squad but he needs to get a few things correct.

If we do not have a winning culture and the correct strategy(ies) for the conditions and opposing team we are going to be doomed - even if we pick all the right players.  SA teams have a tendency not to keep possession of the ball but to rather kick it down the throat of the opposing team - we will be in deep-deep shit if we do this come RWC. 

The balance between youth and experience must be correct.  The combinations need to work.  We need leaders on the field that can keep the youngsters calm and we need to make the correct decisions when we are awarded penalties etc.  We will be provoked and there will be a lot of needling - we do not need another James Dalton incident.

It would be interesting to see how many players were capped under HM

You haven't checked it up yet? Do yourself a favour and check up on it. You could be in for a surprise. We are in Eastbourne for a few days and I will switch on the laptop later to find it again. 

I can actually think of many reasons to criticise Meyer. And it also involves bringing back some of the old hands. In some cases without any reason (Gurthro Steenkamp, Ruan Pienaar) and in other cases he brought back players that could have acted in the role of mentors (at practices), but they never should have played in the matches (Bakkies Botha, Juan Smith, Jacque Fourie) In the case of FdP and Victor Matfield, I believe if they are still good enough, they can play. Schalk Burger for me is also somewhere in the list of possible mentors, so Juan may not have been needed at all.

If a younger player offers more, you start with the younger player. In the matched where FdP played he offered more. Where Pienaar, Steenkamp, Bakkies, Smith played they offered less. Centres are all about combinations, so if you wanted to play one of the older ones, you combine the younger players with an experienced one on the inside, outside or both. The younger player then learns from the senior player. So if you wanted to play Jacque Fourie, you combine him with Jan Serfontein, with the added advantage of playing outside Morne who was his provincial team mate and already a combination. But if you going to play Jean de Villiers anyway, there should have been no reason to play Jacque Fourie.

In terms of mentorship

If I now also take the example of Morne Steyn at Stade Francais, it is clear that Plisson has improved a hell of a lot over the last year. That is also due to the influence of the more experienced player in terms of advice and feedback. I think Morne is in a bit of a crap position, because their coach had their selections all wrong most of the time. To build confidence of the younger player in such a key position (9 or 10), you start with the senior player to give you a stable basis in the match. The you allow the youngster to express himself, in his own playing style for the full second half. At the same time the senior player gets the game time and while the junior slowly builds confidence and gains experience.  (For example the time Derrick Hougaard and Morne played at the Bulls.) (You know, when Morne was still a "running flyhalf".... hahaha...)

The problem is that the whole situation is quite complex, specifically with play makers or decision makers and you have to have a REAL plan to work with. So my problem with Meyer is mostly that he has forgotten the things he did successfully in the past and the fact that he brought back real has-beens that stole valuable game-time from youngsters who could have been learning by gaining their own experience in game situations.

Even though I have a reasonably conservative view or approach in terms of coaching, I think Heyneke Meyer is JUST TOO FUCKING CONSERVATIVE!!!

• Like 1

Barney, nice read the above post.

What is happening at the Bulls with regards to the changes in coaching staff? Will there be any improvement or is it just a bit of window dressing?

Eh, I have no real clue what is happening at the Bulls at the top level at the moment... But I don't think they have a clue either...

Nollis Marais have had some success. But he also worked very closely with Heyneke at one stage.The problem I have with that way of coaching, is that they have 5 million calls with so many patterns (which is basically just an extended set move through 3 or four phases). It is also one of the reasons why the players run straight into defenders. They play the "pattern" without thinking and just run straight lines.

We'll have to see how they do... and if Nollis can adapt their play to include thinking and decisions... It might be a tough ask....

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Denny
    Newest Member
    Denny