Guest Viva Alonso

News from around the web

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Michael Schumacher has admitted that his focus has switched to the 2011 season, after admitting that he is not a factor in this year's championship.After finishing just 15th at Valencia two weeks ago, he is still on 34 points - 97 behind championship leader Lewis Hamilton and 41 behind Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg.

Schumacher insists that his motivation is as high as ever, but is already working towards the team's preparation for 2011.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

The FIA will introduce new safety car procedures from the British Grand Prix on Sunday in a bid to prevent a repeat of the controversy in Valencia a fortnight ago,

Several ideas were discussed - including closing the pitlane completely during safety car spells - agreement has been reached simply to slow the F1 cars down much more than before under the safety car.

Instead of operating to a 'delta' time of 120% of a regular F1 lap before the cars form up behind the safety car, as under the old regulations, drivers will instead be forced to slow down to the actual estimated speed of the safety car itself.

The idea of slowing cars this much will be to ensure there is no possibility of a driver overtaking the safety car – as Lewis Hamilton did on the run out of the first corner at Valencia.

The slower delta time will prevent drivers getting a benefit by being ahead of the safety car on road.

The FIA has also reacted to the problems drivers had of breaking the delta time in Valencia, after only finding out about the safety car towards the end of the lap, by making it clear that they will be exempt from the new safety car speed limit for the final 200 metres of the lap.

Sounds ok to me....

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Ferrari's new logo replacing the barcode they had.

1278600443.jpgsome resemblance of a Marlboro pack? any bets Marlboro will be changing their designs also a bit soon...

Marlboro.jpg

Guest DennisL   
Guest DennisL

This whole safety car issue is now reaching ridiculous proportions!

All they need to do is freeze the positions as soon as the safety car is deployed and it overtakes the gaggle till it is infront of the car in first place. Problem solved ! No delta, omega 3, "actual estimated speed" (love that contradiction!) fish oil crap! Keep it real! [Don't they watch our advertising??]

What do you think Viva? With this approach, ol' Fonsie wouldn't have had to bleat like a goat for the rest of the race!! He'd be right up Lewis' tailpipe.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Not up his tailpipe Dennishe would have been leading hahaha

At least with the changed SC rules we wont have the same circus we had 2 weeks ago.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Bernie Ecclestone has set his sights on getting the South African Grand Prix back on the calendar in the next few years.With Formula 1's commercial boss ever keen to find new markets for the sport, he told BBC Radio 5 Live on Sunday morning that South Africa and Russia were events he was eager to see added to the schedule.

Speaking after a successful World Cup in South Africa, Ecclestone was asked if the country was somewhere F1 should be racing.

"You're absolutely right, it is another continent where we should be," he said. "It would be nice to have covered the world, but Russia is more important right now. Africa is limited for all the people who are involved in F1 for business, whereas Russia is wide open.

"But we will see. We have been talking to the people in South Africa for quite a long time off and on. The chances are okay. It's a case of getting the right venue always.

"We've been talking to the people in Cape Town. There are one or two places that could happen and are coming on quite strong.

"We're talking about building a circuit. It's probably about three years away. That's what I would like to see. I would hope so. I've been hoping that for five years.

"Hopefully what the World Cup has done for Africa, people will think it will be good for F1 to be there."

F1's calendar is already rapidly expanding - with the South Korean Grand Prix getting added this year. India is following in 2011 while the United States GP is scheduled to return in 2012.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Does Raikkonen have a Mercedes future?

37536.gifTwo things to emerge over the British GP weekend could be inter-linked. The first was triple world champion Jackie Stewart saying he thinks that Michael Schumacher will retire again at the end of the year. And the second was Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug confirming that he recently paid a visit to Kimi Raikkonen.

Stewart, talking to a German newspaper, said: "The first question should be: will Michael do another year? I believe he will stop after the season."

The story about Haug's visit to Raikkonen, with whom he enjoyed a working relationship when Kimi drove for McLaren-Mercedes between 2002-6, was first printed by a Finnish newspaper but was confirmed to a TV station by Haug over the British GP weekend.

"I have been in contact with Kimi as a friend," Haug claimed. "Kimi will make a decision for himself but I do hope he comes back because it would be a good thing for F1."

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher's return to Formula One at the age of 41 was a "huge personal error", according to his former boss Eddie Jordan.

It was Jordan who first handed the German his chance in Formula One, signing him up as a driver for his Jordan team in 1991 when Schumacher was 19 years old, but Jordan said his return to a young man's sport was a miscalculation.

"Michael Schumacher's return was an excellent thing for the discipline, but for him personally, it's a huge error," Jordan told Sport Bild. "To make a comeback at 41 years of age, to pitch yourself against young men 20 years younger than you, is simply against the laws of physics and medicine."

Jordan added that Schumacher had "nothing to gain. Except for maybe feeling good, but even that, that's not the case. Do you think that it would please him to be beaten by (Mercedes team-mate) Nico Rosberg?"

Schumacher finished ninth at the British Grand Prix at Silverstone on Sunday, with Rosberg in second. In the overall standings, Schumacher sits in ninth spot with 36 points from 10 races, more than 50pts off Rosberg and 100 off table-topper Lewis Hamilton.

MMMmmmmmm.............. :36_11_13:

Guest Jo-Jo   
Guest Jo-Jo

Oi, this is a bitter pill to swallow, being Schumi's no 1 fan and all.

For once Im almost agreeing with Jordan. I was so happy for him to return. Personally it was at a great cost, but huge profits for F1.

I am now ready to say that I think he should hang up his helmet and go and enjoy his retirement. He did it all, has it all. No need to prove himself to anyone.

Guest DennisL   
Guest DennisL

You guys don't maybe think it was one huge big publicity stunt? I wonder how much changed hands between Bernie and Ross?? Sorry, I'm feeling down and cynical today!

vlagman    914

You guys don't maybe think it was one huge big publicity stunt? One hell of a possibility IMO I wonder how much changed hands between Bernie and Ross?? Sorry, I'm feeling down and cynical today!

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Or maybe Schumi's missus was giving him drama at home and he needed some time away from her??? .... quite possible!!! hahaha

Gen    310

But of course it was, F1's image was looking really bad just before he said he'd come back.. the scandals the crap the crap and more crap... He did for F1 what Lance's comeback did for cycling. Brought the fans back

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Sebastian Buemi denied that he signed a new contract with the Scuderia Toro Rosso for 2011 despite the claims of Franz Tost. The outfits Team Principal declared on Thursday that both Buemi and Alguersuari would stay with the Faenza-based outfit in 2011

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Harsh financial climate takes its toll on F1

The Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has suggested that one or two teams may not complete the season as financial constraints take their toll on the sport.

Big and small teams alike have suffered. Williams will lose their main sponsor the Royal Bank of Scotland at the end of the current campaign, Renault have been at the centre of stories suggesting they wanted an advance from Ecclestone on television rights money, while Hispania Racing have announced that Sakon Yamamoto of Japan will replace India's Karun Chandhok at the Hungarian grand prix as pay drivers are left out for not coming up with sufficient funds.

Ecclestone, the sport's commercial rights holder, said in the Daily Telegraph that he felt some teams were out of their depth. "I would be surprised if one or two of them make the end of the season. I think there are a couple of teams who really shouldn't be there. They are a bit out of their depth at the moment."

He added that a 10-team championship was all that he really needed. "All we ever want is 10 teams," he said. "In general this year has been a bit of a nuisance because it has cost money to keep these teams in.

"The bottom line is they haven't really and truly given us value for being there."

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

<P class=first>The Monaco Grand Prix will remain on the calendar for the next decade after securing a new 10-year deal with Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone. The iconic Monte Carlo street race, won by Red Bull's Mark Webber in 2010, will next be held on 29 May in 2011.

Ecclestone previously suggested F1 did not need Monaco, saying: "We can do without Monaco, they don't pay enough."

But Ecclestone met Automobile Club de Monaco president Michel Boeri in London and agreed the new deal.

The Monaco Grand Prix dates back to 1929 and the new deal will ensure F1 returns to Monaco every year until 2020.

Guest Solar   
Guest Solar

Ecclestone is a wily old fox...he makes one statement about dropping the venue and he immediately gets a golden handshake... Mere words, Solar.

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

The FIA has moved to try to bring an end to Formula 1's flexible front wing row by telling teams it will ramp up the deflection tests from the next race in Belgium, AUTOSPORT has learned.In the wake of complaints from a number of teams about possible flexing of the front wings of the Red Bull Racing and Ferrari cars at high speed, even though nothing has been found to be wrong with the two machines, the FIA wrote to teams after the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday telling them it was going to attempt to clear up the matter.

AUTOSPORT understands that from the next event at Spa-Francorchamps, the FIA has activated Article 3.17.8 of F1's technical regulations, which allows it to increase load deflection tests at any point to prevent teams being able to run flexible wings.

Article 3.17.8 states: "In order to ensure that the requirements of Article 3.15 are respected, the FIA reserves the right to introduce further load/deflection tests on any part of the bodywork which appears to be (or is suspected of), moving whilst the car is in motion."

At the moment the endplates on the front wing are allowed to flex by a maximum of 10mm when a load of 50 kilogrammes (500 Newtons) is applied to them.

The FIA has told teams now that it reserves the right to increase that test up to 100 kilogrammes - and it will only allow a linear increase of deflection up to 20mm.

The linear increase is designed to ensure that teams are not using clever material design to ensure that their cars pass the deflection test to stay within the regulations but then flex much more at higher loads.

Guest Jo-Jo   
Guest Jo-Jo

Viva, can you translate that to my language please? I heard that there was a furore over the wings but dont really understand exactly what the problem is.

Please?

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

Viva, can you translate that to my language please? I heard that there was a furore over the wings but dont really understand exactly what the problem is.

Please?

The way I umderstand it is that the RBR's and Ferrari to a lessor extend designed a front wing that flexes / moves under highspeed... bringing the wing ends closer to the ground resulting in a massive increase in downforce overall but mainly on the front wheels... this then has the benifit that cars can go quicker (they saying about 8km/h) into a corner and also accelarate earlier out of a corner... the FIA has a current test where they load the wing with a 50kg weight and it is not allowed to move more than 10mm.... this is insuffiecient as under high speed the wings take a few hunderd kg pressure... so the FIA has informed all teams they increasing the weight to 100 kg ..... hope this helps...

Guest Viva Alonso   
Guest Viva Alonso

The FIA has set the date for the disciplinary hearing of the World Motor Sport Council to judge Ferrari's actions during the German Grand Prix.The Italian squad was fined $100,000 for the illegal use of team orders during the Hockenheim event, where Felipe Massa handed the lead of the race to team-mate Fernando Alonso.

Ferrari broke article 39.1 of the sporting regulations, which state that "team orders which interfere with a race result are prohibited."

Apart from the fine, Ferrari was summoned to the WMSC.

The governing body announced on Monday that the WMSC hearing will take place in Paris on 8 September.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Radiance Space
    Newest Member
    Radiance Space