Hawk_Eye

Mehrtens: Time right to ditch SA

Aus have no real rugby money.

And the crowds have been crap in all 3 countries.

The ARU are on the bones of their arse. The Lions tour has saved their bacon for the time being. Not much would need to go wrong for them to have to break out the begging bowl.

The ARU are on the bones of their arse. The Lions tour has saved their bacon for the time being. Not much would need to go wrong for them to have to break out the begging bowl.

Wonder if Mehrtens knows that?

I love rugby and try and watch as much as I can, but currently I am watching about 25% of what I used to 5, 6 years ago. I probably have had too much of it and the Bulls have been petty shite the last 2 season, and since the Pumas are playing in Nelspruit I do try and watch them whenever possible. All other rugby takes back stage then!

I's prefer a smaller competition, with maybe six teams in total.

Agreed...too much rugby...takes it's toll on the players and then the national sides tend to suffer. Just think if there was not so much rugby a guy like Goosen would most likely not always be injured.

I often compare the amount of rugby to the days when nightclub bars had to close at midnight. That was the late 80's. And I remember going to Stables in PMB as a youngster and the Imperial Hotel Courtyard was buzzing from about 5pm on Saturday for Happy Hour (remember those) and then at about 7pm, everyone then mpoved over to the nigtclub which was part of the hotel, at midnight, bar closed, music went off and people then went on their way....But the place was full...

Then they relaxed the rules, allowed more drinking hours and then the whole limit of drinking hours was over, clubs would stay open all hours, most were empty for many hours, became kind of not esciting any more...

It was nice when there was not too many hours where you could drink at a place like that and then the interest was high.

Guest fr1dg3

The crowds in SA has been falling in my opinion due to 2 main reasons.  I have no interested getting myself to Loftus with all the road works going on and to go and watch us play against SA teams 4 times a year.(Currie Cup included).  And secondly which ties into the last part.  It was an occasion back in the Super 12 days to see the Bulls play at Loftus because we knew that opposition was there 2 years ago.  Now its just meh.

I agree, just too much and it is become stale..

I still reckon for this competition to go forward, 3 conferences play in teir pools, then the top 2 from each pool go into a Super6, how they decide who gets the home games and away games can just be a draw from a bowl.

Guest fr1dg3

Agreed...too much rugby...takes it's toll on the players and then the national sides tend to suffer. Just think if there was not so much rugby a guy like Goosen would most likely not always be injured.

I often compare the amount of rugby to the days when nightclub bars had to close at midnight. That was the late 80's. And I remember going to Stables in PMB as a youngster and the Imperial Hotel Courtyard was buzzing from about 5pm on Saturday for Happy Hour (remember those) and then at about 7pm, everyone then mpoved over to the nigtclub which was part of the hotel, at midnight, bar closed, music went off and people then went on their way....But the place was full...

Then they relaxed the rules, allowed more drinking hours and then the whole limit of drinking hours was over, clubs would stay open all hours, most were empty for many hours, became kind of not esciting any more...

It was nice when there was not too many hours where you could drink at a place like that and then the interest was high.

Im still on the fence with this too much rugby story.  Back in Super 12 days the Boks use to play a lot more Curie Cup.  Now hardly any of them have played more than 40 games in the Currie Cup.

They might be playing more Rugby at a higher level but not many more games i would think.  Its just monotonous state at the moment of nothing changing.  You are going to play a shit load of games against the local teams and play against a couple of overseas teams. 

A change is as good as a holiday.

It might also make "the islander teams" protect their players a bit more from the NZ jackals?

It might also make "the islander teams" protect their players a bit more from the NZ jackals?

Will be a lot easier to protect as Rugby NZ will be down on funds.

We could also "deploy Comrade Fuckile" there to sort out their "quota systems"............ :36_11_6:

Guest Mick Sawyer

Reach for another splif Jimi.

Protect? With what?

Guest Mick Sawyer

FIFO. Fit in or fuck off. It is nobody's fault that he is sitting on the other side of the world and has to watch the games at kak hours.

You're an odd one vlag. This discussion isn't new, though it's usually raised by South Africans. From memory you don't have too many problems with the arguments put forward. 

Someone from another partner country makes similar observations and it's "fit in or fuck off".  

Fuck you vlag!

The solution is simple. Regular competitions within time zones that are close together.... Long tours where the time zones differ substantially....

So instead of a SH - NH split like we have now, make it Greenwich vs Dateline (or Pacific vs Atlantic). So instead of going north for EOYT and south for the June internationals, you go east or west.

And when (not if) that gets boring (probably 4 years), switch it back...

Edited by Barnacle

You're an odd one vlag. This discussion isn't new, though it's usually raised by South Africans. From memory you don't have too many problems with the arguments put forward.

Someone from another partner country makes similar observations and it's "fit in or fuck off".

Fuck you vlag!

Lol. I'm getting a bit bored by the current setup, but it would be stupid to just kill Sanzar. There are lots of other options that could spice things up, but our rugby will be poorer without NZ and Ozz. The NH got better but I still think they are a couple of yards short.

Lol. I'm getting a bit bored by the current setup, but it would be stupid to just kill Sanzar. There are lots of other options that could spice things up, but our rugby will be poorer without NZ and Ozz. The NH got better but I still think they are a couple of yards short.

The first step would be to scrap the conferences

The first step would be to scrap the conferences

That would be a start. 2 Divisions including some Argie and Island teams might also be viable. 15 teams is just too much. Give each country 3 teams in the top division with relegation matches. The rest can play in a 2nd division with some Argie and island teams.

Fuck you vlag!

Hahaha. I guess I deserved that one. I was thinking, while I was typing it, that I was stepping on you and Docker's toes as well but I was pissed of at Mehrtens. Enough to take the hammering from you guys as and when it happens.

I do not have an issue with his arguments about the logistics, etc. What pisses me off is the fact that he knows that NZ, on there own, will not attract the revenue and he "openly" declares that the Aus and/or Jap economies has to be targetted.

Edited by vlagman

You'll need more than a splif to read this............................. :36_11_6:

http://www.nzrugbyworld.co.nz/features/161/plunder-in-the-pacific

Maybe it's the Islanders who really won the last World Cup?

You do know that persons of Pacific Islander heritage comprise a large percentage of the Kiwi population - could be as high as 15%. You don't need to be trolling around steamy Pacific islands to find oversized lads with perfect rugby builds - you just need to head to the shitty part of Auckland. I think only one of the current All Black squad wasn't born in New Zealand.

You might also be surprised to know that there is around 200,000 people of Pacific Islander heritage living in Australia. Plus there are a lot of guest workers who come in from various Pacific Islands to do seasonal work (largely unskilled manual labour like fruit picking etc).

Personally, I worry about things I can change as the rest are mostly wasted energy.  I cannot change the way the ZANZAR people want to make their money with rugby as the tool.  I like rugby, I like watching rugby and the strides made in the skill sets from my playing days as an amateur to now.  Yes, much has changed and the sport has in a way become a business for players, administrators, sponsors et all.  Players no longer have pride in province and country as the number one reason for playing the game.  Players have become money-hungry and that is the number one priority these days.  Players hop from one code to the next all to make a quick buck more.  The likes of Israel Falau - Sonny Bill etc.

Some even branch out into celebrity boxing because it is quite lucrative to get your face bashed in by another gladiator while some dumb blond screams obscenities at the top of her voice from a seat in the crowd. 

Boxing is a cool sport and rugby is a cool sport but I have not seen Mohammed Ali, Joe Frasier, Gerrie Coetzee, Manny Pacquiao, Floyed Mayweather etc try to play big-league rugby.  

So, Mr. Mehrtns what ever the folk at the helm of the ZANZAR do is going to affect them and players more than it will me the fan - where the money actually comes from - without fans the sponsors will advertise to a hollow in space.  Think about it......

You do know that persons of Pacific Islander heritage comprise a large percentage of the Kiwi population - could be as high as 15%. You don't need to be trolling around steamy Pacific islands to find oversized lads with perfect rugby builds - you just need to head to the shitty part of Auckland. I think only one of the current All Black squad wasn't born in New Zealand.

You might also be surprised to know that there is around 200,000 people of Pacific Islander heritage living in Australia. Plus there are a lot of guest workers who come in from various Pacific Islands to do seasonal work (largely unskilled manual labour like fruit picking etc).

Docks, if only one of the current AB team wasn't born in NZ then i stand corrected.....maybe someone knows the exact number?

Yes, call it old-fashioned, but i do still enjoy thinking that the Boks have won 2 World Cups with men who were born & raised in our country.

Currently i think (could again be wrong) we still only have one - the Beast - who's not born in SA.

SA cricket's also got just one - Tahir.

Imports just don't do it for me - like the so-called "England cricket team".

It's a sad indictment on any national sporting body when the suits have to buy national success because they haven't got the energy, skill, money or the capacity to build their own homegrown talent.

Docks, if only one of the current AB team wasn't born in NZ then i stand corrected.....maybe someone knows the exact number?

Yes, call it old-fashioned, but i do still enjoy thinking that the Boks have won 2 World Cups with men who were born & raised in our country.

Currently i think (could again be wrong) we still only have one - the Beast - who's not born in SA.

SA cricket's also got just one - Tahir.

Imports just don't do it for me - like the so-called "England cricket team".

It's a sad indictment on any national sporting body when the suits have to buy national success because they haven't got the energy, skill, money or the capacity to build their own homegrown talent.

It isn't many Jimi. I had a quick look and it appears to be only one. A lot of islanders move (or want to move) to NZ or Australia for economic reasons. Apart from tourism there is little industry in the Pacific Islands and no welfare unlike Aust/NZ

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke