Sign in to follow this  
Hawk_Eye

Other Rugby Related News and Trivia

On 4/18/2019 at 2:18 PM, taipan said:

I don't think Barry won't lose any sleep over that. He is actually funny unlike a lot of the woke comedians doing the rounds now. I have seen his show a few times now and he still is pretty sharp despite his age 

Edited by Docker

On 4/16/2019 at 1:59 PM, supersupporter said:

That has always been my view, I never felt he expressed hate, he never went around preaching hate like the skinheads, or white supremacy. He merely stated what his faith believes will happen in their afterlife, and it was not just gays. Drunks, fornicators etc..So he has not targeted one group of people, which again one could say is hate speech, he has picked many social groups.

I think Rugby Australia could be in  a spot of bother.

Predictably a panel convened by RA has terminated his contract. However that is merely the end of the beginning - not sure Folau will bother appealing to another RA panel but will head straight to the Federal Court. This will be bigger than rugby and Folau apparently has some wealthy benefactors ready to bankroll his legal challenges

• Like 2

Not just that, so close to the World Cup and he has a fair amount of support from other Aussie based Mauris, not sure if they would be willing to step down and support Izzy in protest. I still do not think he has done anything wrong.

When are they going to start thinking about overhauling the remuneration and ethics of the agents? 

I see an analogy with the insurance industry. Years ago you had insurance “agents” who made a habit of convincing clients that their existing policies were useless and then persuade them to cancel it and purchase an new “better” one. The LOA (Life Office Association) caught up and laid down rules. If a client cancels a policy and immediately take out another within six months prior, or after the cancellation, the commission gets reversed. It is then up to the advisor to prove that there was a valid reason for the cancellation in order to have the commission reinstated. 

I could be wrong but I believe that rugby players moving between clubs is often done in the same way. When the agent needs a new car or a new cash injection he starts looking for a “better deal” for his client, the player. I’m not 100% sure that it is that simple but I have had a gut feeling about this for ages. 

Bernie Habana was such and “agent”. IIRC, his credentials eventually proved to be fairly dodgy as well. I remember at the time of Habana’s moved to the WP, he told the media that they were only testing the market because it was time for the renewal of Bryan’s Bulls contract. The argument was that they were just trying to establish Bryan’s market value for their negotiations with the Bulls.  That was what they told the media and the Bulls in any case. I cannot remember the details but I seem to recall that he was involved in a few other dodgy deals as well.

15 hours ago, vlagman said:

When are they going to start thinking about overhauling the remuneration and ethics of the agents? 

Excellent question!!

I had a lot of respect for him standing by his beliefs, however, I lost all that respect when he started this crowd funding nonsense. If he started it and then guaranteed that if he wins he will donate that 3 mil to a charity, then I would say, go for it. But, if he won, guaranteed he won't do the Christian thing and pay it forward, he will enjoy the rewards and keep the money.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

I had a lot of respect for him standing by his beliefs, however, I lost all that respect when he started this crowd funding nonsense. If he started it and then guaranteed that if he wins he will donate that 3 mil to a charity, then I would say, go for it. But, if he won, guaranteed he won't do the Christian thing and pay it forward, he will enjoy the rewards and keep the money.

Orwellian group think by GoFundMe but ill considered by Folau as a means for litigation funding. He does have some very well connected people in his corner and as such litigation funding was or is never going to be a problem without having to resort to tapping "ordinary folks". I think RA and he will settle at mediation at FairWork Australia which will be disappointing for people like me who want to see this thing wind up in the High Court as a test case for the freedom of speech

• Like 2

It would be nice if it did go to court. 

Slight change of subject here, but test cases can be very dangerous too, in the UK the other day there was a case, this one is bad news for cyclist. There was plenty evidence that showed what happened.

This screen starer walked into the road and was hit by a cyclist, both went down and both were injured. In court she was awarded 100 grand for damages and the defence was basically the road user needs to be aware at all times, and for me, this is sad, as pedestrians can now just step into the path of a bike, they know the risk of serious injury is low, but rewards high.

I today got myself insurance for when I cycle.

• Like 1

Maybe his handlers made the wrong call with the crowd-funding - the smell of easy filthy lucre.........???

19 hours ago, J1M1 said:

Maybe his handlers made the wrong call with the crowd-funding - the smell of easy filthy lucre.........???

Australian Christian Lobby have started another funding page - already has $AUD500k in the tank. Christians here see this case as a fundamental attack on their right to practice their religion and as such expect the cash to keep rolling in. If the ACL are handling the money then none of it will wind up in IF's kick if he comes up smelling roses and they will expect to collect any costs awarded in his favour if successful.

Litigation funding is a big business here now (not they are involved here).  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Docker said:

Australian Christian Lobby have started another funding page - already has $AUD500k in the tank. Christians here see this case as a fundamental attack on their right to practice their religion and as such expect the cash to keep rolling in. If the ACL are handling the money then none of it will wind up in IF's kick if he comes up smelling roses and they will expect to collect any costs awarded in his favour if successful.

Litigation funding is a big business here now (not they are involved here).  

Now $AUD1.15 million. Folau isn't going to go down for lack of (legal) bullets

1 hour ago, Docker said:

Now $AUD1.15 million. Folau isn't going to go down for lack of (legal) bullets

WOW!!! let's find a cause.........

11 hours ago, supersupporter said:

I am not sure how this all works, but is crowdfunding taxed?

ACL is a tax free not for profit so any income derived in this case would be tax free (income and VAT). In any event the funds are being held in a separate trust account pending legal fees for lawyers/barristers.  The only person who may have an issue could be Folau as the matter at hand relates to employment and his right to receive income. It is a complex taxation issue (income v capital etc) but I suspect that the fees paid will not be included as income for IF 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, supersupporter said:

I am not sure how this all works, but is crowdfunding taxed?

In Australia crowdfunding for a private matter (ie an operation for a sick kid) would not be assessable as no business/employment is being carried on

• Like 2

Lions leaving the Park.........

Ruan Combrinck & Lionel Mapoe - Stade Francais

Harold Vorster & Sylvian Mahuza - Japan

Nick Groom  - Edinburgh

Franco Naude - back to the Bulls

Robbie Coetzee

Danie Mienie

Stephen Lewies

Robert Kruger

SA Rugby can no longer sustain the level of competition they are required to take part in. You look across all teams and see the player exodus, I reckon probably 1 full side plus reserves.

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke