Sign in to follow this  
Arlecchino

The Passing of a Legend

It is not often that we are able to witness the passing and pay tribute to a true sport legend. I am sure that I can say almost without contradiction that Arnold Palmer was loved by most, disliked by a few but respected by all.

He died Sunday evening at the age of 87 at a Pittsburgh hospital while awaiting cardiac surgery, according to a statement from his company.

"Arnie's Army" is legend as is the triumvirate of a golfing era which included Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player. 

This is not a time of sadness but comes at a time when golf is one of the sports where fair play, honesty and gentlemanly conduct is still upheld to its highest possible degree. Arnold Palmer's behaviour both on and off the golf course, was the epitome of such values.

Arnold Daniel Palmer is generally regarded as one of the greatest players in professional golf history. He won numerous events on both the PGA Tour and Champions Tour, dating back to 1955. Palmer captured seven major tournaments during his career, taking The Masters four times (in 1958, 1960, 1962 and 1964), the British Open twice (in 1961 and 1962) and the US Open once (in 1960).

He led the PGA Tour money list four times, and was the first player to win more than $100 000 in a season.

He played on six Ryder Cup teams and was the winning captain twice, and launched a business empire with the help of Mark McCormack, founder of pioneering sports marketing company International Management Group.

In 1974, Palmer was one of the original inductees into the World Golf Hall of Fame.

Identified most strongly with the Masters, Palmer's British Open victories are credited with reviving US interest in the championship.

He never managed to complete the career Grand Slam, finishing second three times in the PGA Championship -- in 1964, 1968 and 1970.

Born: September 10, 1929, Latrobe, Pennsylvania, United States

Died: September 25, 2016, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

Spouse: Kathleen Gawthrop (m. 2005–2016), Winifred Walzer (m. 1954–1999)

Children: Amy Palmer, Peggy Palmer

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated.

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive.

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser."

I would love to be at the funeral of this great sportsman to hear the eulogies and then listen to the great stories being told by friend, competitor and family member.

He has just been inducted into that great golf club in the sky and I am sure after the ceremony he will once again swing the club in his inimitable fashion on the first tee on God's Golf Course. Have a great round Arnie!

Arnold Palmer-150409-Tees-G-300.jpg

somehow they just don't breed 'em like that anymore.............