Sign in to follow this  
Stu

SA vs Oz

6 minutes ago, taipan said:

Still Morkel and Philander to come.

Would you play all four? There is some noise in these parts that Morkel is going to snatch it and play in the BBL where his bride has a TV gig along side Gilly, Punter, etc.

I would play Morkel in front of Philander over here except in Hobart. The spinner probably gets a game for reasons other than balance

Edited by Docker

3 minutes ago, Docker said:

Would you play all four? There is some noise in these parts that Morkel is going to snatch it and play in the BBL where his bride has a TV gig along side Gilly, Punter, etc.

I would play Morkel in front of Philander over here except in Hobart. The spinner probably gets a game for reasons other than balance

Exactly, to get 3 black players. Rabada is a definite. Bavuma will probably get the nod. Black spinner is only option.

imho cricket is looking a lot healthier than i expected.

Some of the new players look like they could be part of a very good team in a few years time.

2 hours ago, J1M1 said:

imho cricket is looking a lot healthier than i expected.

Some of the new players look like they could be part of a very good team in a few years time.

Wait for the Test series methinks. The Aussie bowlers on the current tour are club bowlers

I am of the opinion that the Aussies are toying with us.

As Kepler Wessels said on the weekend: "The popgun Australian attack apart, this is not a very good team."

There are only a few of the top players here and we have been boosted by a performance in  limited overs cricket setting us up for the real Aussie attack to pick us apart. Even Dumbinee has been made to look adequate.

This group has come here to "inspect us" and then prepare.

I am almost inclined to believe that they were instructed to drop a few catches.:are-you-still-there:

We are going to get murdered in Australia.

I hope I am wrong about this but we are getting suckered.:36_11_13:

4 hours ago, Arlecchino said:

As Kepler Wessels said on the weekend: "The popgun Australian attack apart, this is not a very good team."

There are only a few of the top players here and we have been boosted by a performance in  limited overs cricket setting us up for the real Aussie attack to pick us apart. Even Dumbinee has been made to look adequate.

I am almost inclined to believe that they were instructed to drop a few catches.:are-you-still-there:

As Dock said earlier on the post. And as I have told my boertjie cricket friends, yet again tonight, they mustn't get excited :)

11 hours ago, Arlecchino said:

I think it is deliberate ploy by the Aussie selectors to keep the topliners out of sight until the proper stuff starts next month. The warm up games will also be staffed by club bowlers so it will be hard to line up the form until the Perth Test.

SA has a lot of quality so the series in Australia will be competitive and given games will be played under lights in Adelaide and in swing friendly Hobart I am leaning towards SA at this stage as the current batch of Aussies can't play anything that moves off the straight. SA 2-1 or 2-0 for mine but any result is possible.  

4 hours ago, Docker said:

I think it is deliberate ploy by the Aussie selectors to keep the topliners out of sight until the proper stuff starts next month. The warm up games will also be staffed by club bowlers so it will be hard to line up the form until the Perth Test.

SA has a lot of quality so the series in Australia will be competitive and given games will be played under lights in Adelaide and in swing friendly Hobart I am leaning towards SA at this stage as the current batch of Aussies can't play anything that moves off the straight. SA 2-1 or 2-0 for mine but any result is possible.  

I hope that's true, and there seems to be better team spirit in our side BUT, there was something seriously wrong last season and I don't see them having turned it aroun just yet. I'm just hoping we'll be competitive.

The team spirit does seem a lot better. Wonder if AB's absence has anything to do with it? His body language has been terrible since the WC selection fiasco.

22 hours ago, Docker said:

Wait for the Test series methinks. The Aussie bowlers on the current tour are club bowlers

Yes, I agree, but at least it seems like we have some talent coming through..........compared to my depression 6 months ago about our cricket. Rabada, Bavuma, Rillee & Q finally coming right.......... some spinners arriving

And this all without our dearly beloved AB.

The Test series will tell us a lot!

The Aussies came here with zip to lose. They knew they could not lose their No1 status even if the lost 5 duck.

They now have first hand knowledge of most of our best if not all - selected that is - and have plenty of video footage to work on their plans.

Tom Lehman is no mug and neither are his support staff.

Our SRSA Strategic Plan talks of "winning nation" whilst the Aussies and others talk of "No1 Nation".

8 minutes ago, Arlecchino said:

The Aussies came here with zip to lose. They knew they could not lose their No1 status even if the lost 5 duck.

They now have first hand knowledge of most of our best if not all - selected that is - and have plenty of video footage to work on their plans.

Our SRSA Strategic Plan talks of "winning nation" whilst the Aussies and others talk of "No1 Nation".

Well they will definitely beat us at golf.

• Like 1

And anyway our test team is vastly different to the ODI team so I don't see much of an advantage there.

the Aussies will be a lot stronger bowling on the tests, but I still reckon they will have a problem in the batting department.

1 hour ago, Arlecchino said:

If they pick M Marsh then 3 of the ODI team here will turn out in the Tests.

The problem I have is the deliberate debasing of a series by the Aussie selectors. If the Saffers sent over a B team to an ODI series in Australia we would be outraged. There is a bit of blowback here about what has happened and Rod Marsh (no relation) has got a pink slip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taipan said:

Well they will definitely beat us at golf.

Australia v SA in golf would be a high quality contest - both countries are well represented in the top 100

8 minutes ago, Docker said:

Australia v SA in golf would be a high quality contest - both countries are well represented in the top 100

Yeah but you have Tom Lehman as coach. We will have Gary Player.

1 minute ago, taipan said:

Yeah but you have Tom Lehman as coach. We will have Gary Player.

Player is senile and Lehman is American. We will get Allenby to coach - what could go wrong. The team bonding sessions would be huge.

Just now, Docker said:

Player is senile and Lehman is American. We will get Allenby to coach - what could go wrong. The team bonding sessions would be huge.

Which I why I couldn't understand why he would be coaching your cricket team.

1 hour ago, Docker said:

If they pick M Marsh then 3 of the ODI team here will turn out in the Tests.

The problem I have is the deliberate debasing of a series by the Aussie selectors. If the Saffers sent over a B team to an ODI series in Australia we would be outraged. There is a bit of blowback here about what has happened and Rod Marsh (no relation) has got a pink slip.

With the new team selections we are permanently sending our B teams over nowadays:15_8_217:

Bookies have Aust at $2, SA at $3 and draw at $4.33 for WACA Test. The draw should be favourite based on last years Test when the pitch turned out to the flattest of all roads but it has been unusually cold and wet here recently and rain is due tomorrow. SA is rolling around the country pummelling second XI's and underage squads so the form is hard to line up. The Aust bowling attack looks underdone to me but will be a lot better than the rabble who turned out in the ODI series but I have the likely results in the reverse order to the betting (draw, SA and then Aust).

6 hours ago, Docker said:

Bookies have Aust at $2, SA at $3 and draw at $4.33 for WACA Test. The draw should be favourite based on last years Test when the pitch turned out to the flattest of all roads but it has been unusually cold and wet here recently and rain is due tomorrow. SA is rolling around the country pummelling second XI's and underage squads so the form is hard to line up. The Aust bowling attack looks underdone to me but will be a lot better than the rabble who turned out in the ODI series but I have the likely results in the reverse order to the betting (draw, SA and then Aust).

Hope for a great series is all.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke