Sign in to follow this  
Arlecchino

I will not even try to make summary of the sporting ups and downs for South Africa's sportsmen and women save to say that Wayde van Niekerk was the star closely followed by the other medallists at Rio particularly Sunette Viljoen who battled through additional adversity.

On that score let me say that SARU and the Unions are not to blame for the Springboks decline. The blame must be placed at the door of SRSA and their political commissars SASCOC. The appointment of a known failure Allister Coetzee who was sacked from his Western Province Stormers job and replaced by Eddie Jones/John Mitchell/Robbie Fleck was a disaster waiting to happen.

To me this year was marked by the sad passing of Cassius Clay (the name his parents gave him) and Arnold Palmer.

Graeme Joffe is still in exile but continues to offer exposure of criminal corruption in sport administration. He still has much to tell us about personalities involved in "scams" particularly in the Eastern Province.

Now that we have a Proteas captain with guts and determination, perhaps our cricketers will get our test cricket back to the level it deserves. That said it is a matter of time until the tough Faf du Plessis will find himself in a confrontation with Linda or someone else with no cricket background but political connections.

Good luck to you all for 2017.

I hope your franchise does well in Super Rugby but not as well as The Mighty Sharks.

Finally - please G-d let Liverpool win the Premiership for the first time.