Sign in to follow this  
Arlecchino

Maria Sharapova

Not just Andy Murray has spoken up about the re-entry of this proven doper to the Women's Tennis Association (WTA). Caroline Wozniaki suggested that the immediate return to competition with wild cards by Maria Sharapova is "disrespectful" to the WTA.

Sharapova makes her return in the Stuttgart competition. It is not just that she returns on a wild card but that she also makes her comeback two days before her banning period ends.

The Russian received a reduced 15-month ban for meldonium, with the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruling that she had not intentionally broken anti-doping rules when she took the recently banned substance.

The question that has yet to be answered is: what is the nature and status of her heart condition that necessitated the use of the substance? If she has a condition, should she be playing? If not is 15-months too light a sentence for a cheater who was taking drugs for a condition which does not exist?

• Like 1

While I am not advocating her return, a problem is that until December 2015 the drug was legal. If she hadn't "missed" the email there would have been no problems.

I suspect that a number of other tennis players were taking this drug when it was legal. 

2 hours ago, Arlecchino said:

Not just Andy Murray has spoken up about the re-entry of this proven doper to the WTA. Caroline Wozniaki suggested that the immediate return to competition with wild cards by Maria Sharapova is "disrespectful" to the WTA.

Sharapova makes her return in the Stuttgart competition. It is not just that she returns on a wild card but that she also makes her comeback two days before her banning period ends.

The Russian received a reduced 15-month ban for meldonium, with the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruling that she had not intentionally broken anti-doping rules when she took the recently banned substance.

The question that has yet to be answered is: what is the nature and status of her heart condition that necessitated the use of the substance? If she has a condition, should she be playing? If not is 15-months too light a sentence for a cheater who was taking drugs for a condition which does not exist?

If there is a legal substance that will make you play better you would be mad not to take it. I agree that there is a lot of unanswered questions but I think the TUE are a bigger problem than the Sharapova situation. 

14 minutes ago, Docker said:

If there is a legal substance that will make you play better you would be mad not to take it. I agree that there is a lot of unanswered questions but I think the TUE are a bigger problem than the Sharapova situation. 

Creatine in other words.

Guest Ultranor

The point is that the drug has a half life that had not been researched and is dependent on how much and how long it had been taken as a legal "supplement". 

There were many cases found in the first months and WADA had to review their oversight of the ban and extend the acceptance to March to allow for the drug to be out of players systems 

sharapova was open and honest when "caught" and would have been "caught" even if her last pill was on 31 December due to the half life 

there were others in the same boat.  This was actually more about the poor planning of WADA processes than one particular high profile name 

so this ruling is about technicalities, legalities with the usual complexity of pride and power than a true doping case.  

If the same drug is tested from the second half of the year then let's denounce the cheats...

May I ask that all posters explain acronyms in full before their use e.g.

United Nations (UN).

What is the TUE??? Apart for a shortened form for Tuesday.

11 hours ago, Arlecchino said:

Tks Taips.

Alternatively AEWD.

Any excuse will do.

Indeed Charlie.

Read up on Bradley Wiggins TUE's just before the Le Tour each year (thank you Uncle Vlad).

Mo Farah seems to be sliding under the radar at the moment but he has some answering to do

In the press maybe. WADA have their teeth into Alberto Salazar and I for one will not give up on trying to prove that he cheated at Comrades.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke