Sign in to follow this  
Arlecchino

Third Test v Black Caps March 2017

Going in to this decider many of the comments from players and the coach have caught our attention. There is also some innuendo which has caused speculation - why has JP Duminy being going through a rough patch and why has he withdrawn from the IPL?

I have always subscribed to an old theory that you play as well as your opposition allows you to. I would add that part in repetition - if you allow them to. 

Looking at the two teams and the individual rankings, the Proteas must be favourites in this test, indeed as they were going in to the series. Tenacious bunch the Kiwis and they always seem to be able to maximise their resources. Thereby hangs the tale. 

There is no doubting the individual class of many of the South Africans but looking at the batting unit on its own, they have bordered on failure. Individual performances have seen us to a superior position and not a team effort.

Domingo has stated that it is not only Cook who has failed in this tour so far. The aforementioned Duminy and the Proteas No 3 have also been short of runs. Two of the players who have shone in the tests are Elgar and Buvuma - neither were used in the shorter form contests. Young de Kock continues to excite and he is nobody's bunny. He should be higher in the order though. 

Even when two teams are evenly matched on paper using statistics, what separates the good from the brilliant is mental toughness. This Proteas team lacks spine and what spine they have is mainly provided by Faf du Plessis who has proven to be a captain who is respected by the Australians. Why otherwise was he picked on for a simple ball polishing incident. Typical of the Aussies when they see a tough player, they try to break him. It will take much more to break this fine cricketer. 

It is a pity that I cannot say the same for the rest of the team.

23 hours ago, Arlecchino said:

This Proteas team lacks spine and what spine they have is mainly provided by Faf du Plessis

The only one lacking "spine" is JP Duminy - he should start thinking about another career imho. He sites "personal issues" as the problem.............ag shame, how precious!

On 24/03/2017 at 5:06 PM, Arlecchino said:

Even when two teams are evenly matched on paper using statistics, what separates the good from the brilliant is mental toughness. This Proteas team lacks spine and what spine they have is mainly provided by Faf du Plessis who has proven to be a captain who is respected by the Australians. Why otherwise was he picked on for a simple ball polishing incident. Typical of the Aussies when they see a tough player, they try to break him. It will take much more to break this fine cricketer. 

It is a pity that I cannot say the same for the rest of the team.

Faf was the author of his own loss in relation to mintgate. If he didn't know what he was doing might be a problem then he shouldn't be an international captain. Steve Smith didn't have a problem with what Faf did and made this point publicly ("we all do it") so it was hardly a hatchet job by the Aust cricket team. 

31 minutes ago, Arlecchino said:

I did not mention the Aus cricket team...........

"The Aussies" is a wide reference and could include the national side. I do agree that sections of the Australian media went after Faf and tried him publicly. I think Faf erred by not admitting an honest mistake and by continuing to protest his innocence.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke