Sign in to follow this  
Arlecchino

Proteas will head to England with some questions

When last did the Proteas lose an away Test series? Seems like a long time ago..............

58 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

When last did the Proteas lose an away Test series? Seems like a long time ago..............

Last Indian tour from memory. Probably the only team to lose more series at home than away in the last ten years

• Like 1

On 7/25/2017 at 6:15 PM, taipan said:

Exactly. Trouble is that they are fixated that the ACA is right and CA wrong. Reading the next post indicates that there was a guaranteed minimum but no earnings cap. Madness.

CA and ACA have reached an agreement. Shane Watson has immediately called for a review.

Good day for some current and former Australian players with the bonus pool being paid out. The likes of Watson, M Hussey, Harris etc are in the chop for up to $AUD 2 million each

7 minutes ago, taipan said:

Will they release the details?

Only the gross numbers.

The players are chopping up at least $AUD500 million over the next five years (men and women international and domestic).

6 hours ago, Docker said:

Last Indian tour from memory. Probably the only team to lose more series at home than away in the last ten years

In England I think it was 1998..............

On 8/3/2017 at 5:56 PM, J1M1 said:

In England I think it was 1998..............

It was a good run - all over bar the shouting now. 

• Like 1

Yep, poor management and poor selections.

I have no idea who thought Kuhn would be a good idea as an opener in England. He has put the middle order under pressure all series. And to compound that, the brain dead decision to move QdK to 4.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, taipan said:

Yep, poor management and poor selections.

I have no idea who thought Kuhn would be a good idea as an opener in England. He has put the middle order under pressure all series. And to compound that, the brain dead decision to move QdK to 4.

I have watched a fair bit of this series and I can't believe that Kuhn is the next best opener in SA. Faf is the obvious 4 to me. There has been some bad luck with the bowling stocks but it appears that big Vern is a little fragile (see G Smith comments).  

Kuhn  is out of his depth at Test level. Faf must bat a 4 especially with Amla appearing to tail off.  Qdk must be left at 6.

I really hope Jennings, Westerley, Malan and Roland-Jones get picked for the Ashes - they all look like club cricketers to me. If we can get our four best quicks fit it should be a home win.

Aiden Markram would be my pick to open..........

1 hour ago, Docker said:

I have watched a fair bit of this series and I can't believe that Kuhn is the next best opener in SA. Faf is the obvious 4 to me. There has been some bad luck with the bowling stocks but it appears that big Vern is a little fragile (see G Smith comments).  

Kuhn  is out of his depth at Test level. Faf must bat a 4 especially with Amla appearing to tail off.  Qdk must be left at 6.

I really hope Jennings, Westerley, Malan and Roland-Jones get picked for the Ashes - they all look like club cricketers to me. If we can get our four best quicks fit it should be a home win.

I think they got confused with kuhn's name. Markram should have opened as he could hardly of scored less runs and would have gained experience. Faf is the latest in a line of captains hiding down the order. (See Joe Root, Michael Clarke, etc).

Would prefer QdK at 7, but will accept 6.

• Like 1

I cannot remember ever hearing a Protea ex-captain question the authenticity of an injury of a player (Philander). The team medical staff make the call, not the player. Graeme's mouth is bigger than his brain.........or he's keen on a job at Bell Potty?

Is this the same Graeme who went out to bat with a broken hand to save a test in Aus, with the series already won?

9 hours ago, J1M1 said:

I cannot remember ever hearing a Protea ex-captain question the authenticity of an injury of a player (Philander). The team medical staff make the call, not the player. Graeme's mouth is bigger than his brain.........or he's keen on a job at Bell Potty?

6 hours ago, taipan said:

Is this the same Graeme who went out to bat with a broken hand to save a test in Aus, with the series already won?

I reckon Graeme is right in this instance. Supremely fit fast bowlers can break down (see Steyn and Australia's first choice seam attack) but Vern looks unfit and from afar the injury (real or imagined) looks like it could be related to lack of conditioning.

53 minutes ago, Docker said:

I reckon Graeme is right in this instance. Supremely fit fast bowlers can break down (see Steyn and Australia's first choice seam attack) but Vern looks unfit and from afar the injury (real or imagined) looks like it could be related to lack of conditioning.

Granted, Vernon looks poorly.......but the medical team makes the call - not the player.

7 hours ago, taipan said:

Obviously older, but definitely no wiser

Having read a number of articles on this, it appears that Smith is questioning Vern's overall fitness which is a fair call considering the weight he is carrying.

30 minutes ago, taipan said:

Having read a number of articles on this, it appears that Smith is questioning Vern's overall fitness which is a fair call considering the weight he is carrying.

Granted, but imho his negative comments were not helpful to the (lost) cause...............

Last year big Vern also looked "chubby"..........maybe it's just the way he's built - like Warne, Khourie and some others?

3 hours ago, J1M1 said:

Granted, but imho his negative comments were not helpful to the (lost) cause...............

Last year big Vern also looked "chubby"..........maybe it's just the way he's built - like Warne, Khourie and some others?

But Warne and Kourie were spin bowlers. Remember Kashula (spelling?) who played for Rhodesia? LOL 

On another note. Proteas have asked JZ to open the batting for them in the next test, as it seems nobody can get him out. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, J1M1 said:

Merv Hughes was a big unit but never seemed to break down. Kallis was not exactly petite and used to spend hours at the crease batting as well. Some players can carry some extra pudding with minimal issues but sore backs aren't helped by 5-10kgs of dead weight hanging off the front

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vlagman said:

But Warne and Kourie were spin bowlers. Remember Kashula (spelling?) who played for Rhodesia? LOL 

On another note. Proteas have asked JZ to open the batting for them in the next test, as it seems nobody can get him out. 

Edddie Barlow........?

1 minute ago, DbDraad said:

Well, he suffered a stomach bug. That can take anyone down, regardless of fitness. 

That was the 3rd test. He missed the 4th through back spasms.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke