Sign in to follow this  
Barnacle

Politics and SA Rugby

This deserves its own topic, so that it does not spoil the rest of the Super Rugby thread. Not that there is much to spoil, based on how crappy, it has become...

More nonsense from the fall-out of the Arsewind Wurmse saga...

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/political-party-calls-for-non-white-viewers-to-boycott-dstv-20180520

3. No more historical references for statistical purposes of the era before Unification.

We should now deny that SA Rugby was any good and had a proud record before political interference. It is easier to justify and unjust system (quotas/transformation), if you hide the fact that it weakens our sport. And it makes it much easier to "be proud to be mediocre".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

And it makes it much easier to "be proud to be mediocre".

Even before reaching this part I was thinking about the new "best practice" in this country, that of celebrating mediocrity.  Like almost every crisis within the ANC there is always a "reason /excuse" for explaining a sub-par performance or achievement.  They have become (or maybe always were) absolute masters in alibi-management and deflection tactics.  You will never see any of these pseudo-politicians (they are actually just gangsters in disguise) step up and take accountability for some issue which has gone south; no it will always be someone else or something else.

Rugby, as a matter of fact sport, as we know (knew) it is in all probability totally fucked.   Everything will in the end be watered down to be on the same level as the soccer, which is totally fucked already.  In almost every one of these organisations there is a controversial group of people who are seemingly only there to loot and embezzle. 

• Like 1

Maybe the white commies should just tell DSTV to eff off, before DSTV do it to them because they do not want to support any person who was born before '94

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supersupporter said:

Maybe the white commies should just tell DSTV to eff off, before DSTV do it to them because they do not want to support any person who was born before '94

It's tough for a sports fan in RSA, there are very limited TV sport options besides DSTV....

23 minutes ago, Mata Hari said:

It's tough for a sports fan in RSA, there are very limited TV sport options besides DSTV....

SABC can't even pay attention, never mind paying for cameras & commies........................

23 minutes ago, Mata Hari said:

And DSTv has arguably the best sport coverage in the world.

• Like 1

I like the way Sky Sports works now in the UK.

I can now subscribe to only the sports I like, so I can subscribe to Rugby channels only..Honestly I cannot wait until Netflix start going after sports.

10 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

I can now subscribe to only the sports I like, so I can subscribe to Rugby channels only..Honestly I cannot wait until Netflix start going after sports.

Won't work here. Sports subsidises the other channels.

• Like 2

What I like here is every now and then my prices go back to normal, so i cancel my subscription for  a month or so, then they call and offer me a great deal, Currently, I pay £25 / month for all sports and basic TV, no movies.

Then I have Netflix to watch movies etc and NOW TV which is owned by Sky which is their streaming side of the business, but I signed up for 3 months of NOW TV for only £9.00 (£3.33/month). After that I will cancel until I see more offers.

These guys do that all the time, I am not sure if DSTV offer TV deals to stay.

13 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

What I like here is every now and then my prices go back to normal, so i cancel my subscription for  a month or so, then they call and offer me a great deal, Currently, I pay £25 / month for all sports and basic TV, no movies.

Then I have Netflix to watch movies etc and NOW TV which is owned by Sky which is their streaming side of the business, but I signed up for 3 months of NOW TV for only £9.00 (£3.33/month). After that I will cancel until I see more offers.

These guys do that all the time, I am not sure if DSTV offer TV deals to stay.

There are other subscription packages typically they offer little sport

And now this line, from the article: https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/exclusive-why-supersport-said-the-willemse-incident-wasnt-racist-20180524?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

At SuperSport, it is openly being speculated that Willemse was “trying to launch his political career”.

I was thinking the same all along....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

And now this line, from the article: https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/exclusive-why-supersport-said-the-willemse-incident-wasnt-racist-20180524?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

At SuperSport, it is openly being speculated that Willemse was “trying to launch his political career”.

I was thinking the same all along....

Aye. I have been wondering why this speech suddenly erupted after working with Naas and Nick for over 5 years.

6 hours ago, taipan said:

Won't work here. Sports subsidises the other channels.

I think rugby subsidises a few other sports too.

Edited by DbDraad
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, taipan said:

There are other subscription packages typically they offer little sport

Lots of football in even the most basic packages. Need the full Monty for rugby and F1, not too sure about the cricket.

5 hours ago, taipan said:

Aye. I have been wondering why this speech suddenly erupted after working with Naas and Nick for over 5 years.

It was clearly premeditated and rehearsed.  POS if this is true.

16 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Willemse was “trying to launch his political career”.

He'll have to develop a very thick skin........how many sportsmen make successful politicians?

Imran Khan is about the only one i can think of..........

17 hours ago, supersupporter said:

A lot of sports (NHL, NBA, NFL, AFL, NRL etc) sell a season pass to all their content which can be streamed via multiple devices. Not sure if rugby has this option

38 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

He'll have to develop a very thick skin........how many sportsmen make successful politicians?

Imran Khan is about the only one i can think of..........

Hugo Porta. “He came out of retirement briefly in 1990 to play games against Ireland, England and Scotland. In 1991 he was appointed Argentine Ambassador to South Africa by President Carlos Menem, and in 1994 became Argentina's Minister for Sport.[2]”

Vitali Klitschko. “Klitschko formally began his political career in 2006 when he placed second in the Kiev mayoral race. In 2010, he founded the party Ukrainian Democratic Alliance for Reform(UDAR) and was elected into parliament for this party in 2012. He was a leading figure in the 2013–2014 Euromaidan protests, and he announced his possible candidacy for the Ukrainian presidency but later withdrew and endorsed Petro Poroshenko.[nb 1] He was elected Mayor of Kiev on 25 May 2014.[19]Klitschko headed the election list of the winner of the 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary election, the Petro Poroshenko Bloc, but he gave up his parliamentary seat to stay on as Mayor of Kiev.[20][21][22] On 28 August 2015 the UDARparty merged into Petro Poroshenko Bloc.[6]Klitschko thus became the new party leader.[6]Klitschko was reelected as mayor on 15 November 2015.[23]”

Jim Jordan (US Congressman). Wrestling

Dawie de Villiers.  

Edited by vlagman
  • Like 1

i wouldn't want to run against a Klitschko.............:36_11_6:

None of those you name excite the imagination.............imho

56 minutes ago, vlagman said:

Hugo Porta. “He came out of retirement briefly in 1990 to play games against Ireland, England and Scotland. In 1991 he was appointed Argentine Ambassador to South Africa by President Carlos Menem, and in 1994 became Argentina's Minister for Sport.[2]”

Vitali Klitschko. “Klitschko formally began his political career in 2006 when he placed second in the Kiev mayoral race. In 2010, he founded the party Ukrainian Democratic Alliance for Reform(UDAR) and was elected into parliament for this party in 2012. He was a leading figure in the 2013–2014 Euromaidan protests, and he announced his possible candidacy for the Ukrainian presidency but later withdrew and endorsed Petro Poroshenko.[nb 1] He was elected Mayor of Kiev on 25 May 2014.[19]Klitschko headed the election list of the winner of the 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary election, the Petro Poroshenko Bloc, but he gave up his parliamentary seat to stay on as Mayor of Kiev.[20][21][22] On 28 August 2015 the UDARparty merged into Petro Poroshenko Bloc.[6]Klitschko thus became the new party leader.[6]Klitschko was reelected as mayor on 15 November 2015.[23]”

Jim Jordan (US Congressman). Wrestling

Dawie de Villiers.  

Jessie Ventura

10 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

i wouldn't want to run against a Klitschko.............:36_11_6:

None of those you name excite the imagination.............imho

I wouldn’t  have  known that Klitschko was into politics had it not been for an interview with him, as the mayor of Kiev, on the news last night. It was about the Champions League final that takes place in Kiev. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, vlagman said:

I wouldn’t  have  known that Klitschko was into politics had it not been for an interview with him, as the mayor of Kiev, on the news last night. It was about the Champions League final that takes place in Kiev. 

I put R1 on Liverpool...........blame Steinhoff............:36_11_6:

4 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

I put R1 on Liverpool...........blame Steinhoff............:36_11_6:

Yeah. I’m no Scoucer by any means but I would love for them to pull this one through. 

• Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke