Sign in to follow this  
taipan

Springboks 2018

12 hours ago, taipan said:

Apart from the first 13 minutes a much improved performance 

Yet, we should guard against celebrating mediocrity.  The Poms are not the worlds best at the moment, as a matter of fact they are kak.

We miss too many tackles.  Some individual players are getting better (sharper) with every game.

All in all a nice performance which had many a supporter on his nerves again because of the poor start.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

5 mins into the game...loadshedding !

:36_1_38:  :3_8_14:

We went off the grid at 17h00 but I had the genny at a ready and while the UPS was still working the gen was activated and a seamless problem solving strategy kicked in.

I hate looters and rioters with a new passion every day.  This country can do without all this shit.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hawk_Eye said:

Yet, we should guard against celebrating mediocrity.  The Poms are not the worlds best at the moment, as a matter of fact they are kak.

We miss too many tackles.  Some individual players are getting better (sharper) with every game.

All in all a nice performance which had many a supporter on his nerves again because of the poor start.

Aye, an improved performance, but still a long way to go.

Once again the scrum looked better after the props were changed. Lineout needs a lot of work but could be because of poor options chosen. The loose trio still are not working as a unit resulting in a number of turnovers. It was also noticeable that when a forward made a break there was no loosie on his shoulder to take the movement forward. Faf was also forced to kick a number of times but that facet of his game has improved since his move.

Still not a lot from the centre combo and DDA lost the ball virtually every time hie went into contact. Defence remains weak out wide.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, taipan said:

Still not a lot from the centre combo and DDA lost the ball virtually every time hie went into contact. Defence remains weak out wide.

The second try, three young Springboks mistackled the Pom.  Not acceptable at this level.

Cape Town - His stirring try, crucial to another necessary Springbok comeback initiative, said so much about Duane Vermeulen’s general imperiousness again in the second, series-sealing Test against England at Bloemfontein on Saturday.

South Africa were under the cosh for a second week on the trot during the first quarter, and 0-12 down when the powerhouse eighth-man began a fierce charge just inside the English 22-metre line.

First he burst clear, then disdainfully handed off visiting muscleman Maro Itoje - sending him sprawling to the deck - broke a tackle through sheer leg strength, and finally wrestled his way over the line with a couple of defenders clinging to him like hapless passengers on a sinking vessel.

It was just the sort of gee-up the Boks needed. For a redeveloping side, the way they gradually transformed the match, in almost a carbon copy of the first encounter, was a reflection of amazing maturity, skill and collective resolve.

Vermeulen was again at the fulcrum of things both on attack and defence, this time finally earning the official player-of-the-match award after this writer had also felt he warranted it by a short head from gritty scrumhalf Faf de Klerk (who got it) in Johannesburg.

England, after 12 points in the first 12 minutes, were not allowed the liberty of a single extra one for the remainder of the Test as Siya Kolisi’s Boks sent the crowd into raptures with a thoroughly deserved 23-12 outcome, ensuring a dead rubber at Newlands next week.

“I don’t know why we start so slowly,” afterwards said one of the younger, emerging members of the current team, right wing S’bu Nkosi, “but when the boys do wake up the vibe is amazing.”

Few Bok supporters would disagree on that point …

Here’s how I rated the Boks in Bloemfontein:

Willie le Roux: 7

Lost his first aerial contest … but that was about it for noticeable blemishes, really. His hands only got more secure as the game developed, and positional play was usually sound even if he didn’t float lethally into attacks to the extent of last week.

S’bu Nkosi: 7

Penalised for blocking in one contest for a high ball, and failed to stop Jonny May en route to his try after coming across from the opposite side to aid a stretched defence. But also made some committed tackles, chased kicks stealthily and showed strong leg drive.

Lukhanyo Am: 5.5

No train-smash, but again couldn’t really stamp his mark to the extent he would have liked. Ran one smart inside line, and brought a couple of England runners down at the ankles. Pinged for offside once.

Damian de Allende: 6.5

Needs a bit of technical work to stop the habit of having the ball stripped in promising situations. But also worked his socks off much of the time, including some firm hits, a thrilling breakout from deep after intercepting, and deft changes of pace and angles.

Aphiwe Dyantyi: 6.5

As with Johannesburg, a constant willingness to get involved, even if space seldom presented itself for him to get to full pace. Won a welcome breakdown penalty.

Handre Pollard: 7

A solid general at flyhalf, where he easily eclipsed erratic opposite number George Ford. Policed his channel well, and kicked almost flawlessly at posts, including a sweetly-struck long-range monster.

Faf de Klerk: 7

Less flawless than in first Test, including one or two wasted passes to nobody in particular. But once again you could not fault his plucky commitment, including eye-opening physical desire for so diminutive a player. His decisive left-footed clearances or tactical kicks were an important contributor to the win.

Duane Vermeulen: 8

Near-sensational for a second week on the trot, and in a second high-altitude game, which only underlined that the gnarly veteran still has the stamina and competitive juices (and then some) for Test rugby. Superb, supplementary leadership figure, devastating ball-carrier and earnest breakdown scrapper. Wasn’t going to retreat one inch when argy-bargy broke out, either …

Pieter-Steph du Toit: 7.5

Grew into the game tremendously, including seamless shift to second row when RG Snyman was subbed after 56 minutes. One of the Bok hard guys in uncompromising, sometimes fractious tussle. Huge hit on Mako Vunipola (who also should have seen yellow card when he blatantly slapped Du Toit in face once), and his tackle count just mounted and mounted.

Siya Kolisi: 7

The birthday boy once again led with calm efficiency and assuredness - certainly overshadowing sometimes hot-headed rival skipper Owen Farrell. Won a breakdown penalty, and was consistently closer to the ball, I felt, and more industrious than we’ve seen for some weeks from him.

Franco Mostert: 7

Played the full match, which was at least partly a tribute to his legendary durability. Does the not-so-flash stuff admirably, and contributed to broadly dominant tight five. Secure at kick-offs, and vitally dislodged a ball once to help deny Brad Shields a try.

RG Snyman: 6.5

Dream debut in first Test, so something of a come-down in “Bloem” was almost inevitable. Still pulled his weight determinedly for almost an hour, mind you.

Frans Malherbe: 5

Badly undercooked in high-level game time, so let’s not be too quick to write the tighthead off. But he did seem off the pace for Test rugby in his 44 minutes, including conceding a very rapid penalty at scrum-time. No 3 berth stays fluid for Boks.

Bongi Mbonambi: 7

Coming on in leaps and bounds at this premier tier, enough for Boks not to be missing big Malcolm Marx too much. Secured breakdown penalty, had one fine rampage, and showed clever maul management as well.

Tendai Mtawarira: 7

Was yanked off pretty early in second half, but perhaps not worst call by Bok coaches given the emotional burden/distraction of his 100th cap. Nevertheless, lively, robust display in the time he was on, including terrific charge moments before Vermeulen’s try.

Standout substitute:

Akker van der Merwe: 6.5

A lineout went awry with him the thrower, but otherwise the “Angry Warthog” scuttled around with typical relish for half an hour, making tackles and generally being quick to heat-laden areas. Co-front row subs Steven Kitshoff and Thomas du Toit were good as well.

Will there be any citing today? Methtinks the Poms got away with some serious stuff......or maybe it was the mampoer......

The heat is starting to pile on Eddie Jones on this side of the pond and he is now calling for unity. I suppose Stuart Lancaster is slowly starting to show a grin on his face. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/south-africa-vs-england-second-test-defeat-eddie-jones-like-watching-a-horror-movie-a8402646.html

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/springboks/pressure-on-englands-eddie-jones-reaching-boiling-point-15457519

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hawk_Eye said:

We went off the grid at 17h00 but I had the genny at a ready and while the UPS was still working the gen was activated and a seamless problem solving strategy kicked in.

I hate looters and rioters with a new passion every day.  This country can do without all this shit.

Our UPS packed up I have to sort it out. No one in this town can seemingly assist. The Wifi UPS didn't work I have to phone the computer (poepols)  tomorrow 😉

• Sad 2

I am hoping they beat England comfortably this time, I would also like to see Esterhuizen take his chance and make a point, and looking forward to the backline. Gelant too, Good luck to them all, the only concern for me is Malherbe, he is an unpredictable prop, I would have preferred the other 2 2 have started, but Rassie is still testing players and probably does not want to change too much.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, taipan said:

Going to be interesting. 

Last chance for Jantjies?

I think so too, and rightfully so, he is a little inconsistent, but in all fairness, he was playing under AC and he has poor form history when AC was coach.

1 hour ago, supersupporter said:

I think so too, and rightfully so, he is a little inconsistent, but in all fairness, he was playing under AC and he has poor form history when AC was coach.

My concern has always been his BMT

• Like 1

I like the little guy too, I am just not sure of his defence...

Cape Town - He is still just 21-years-old and is in his first full season of Super Rugby with the Bulls, but already Embrose Papier is a Springbok. 

His debut came in the 22-20 loss to Wales in Washington at the start of the month, and now he will be given another opportunity in the green and gold when the Boks take on England in the third and final Test at Newlands on Saturday. 

Papier will play off the bench behind the in-form Faf de Klerk. 

Bulls coach John Mitchell made a massive call at the start of the season when he ditched Bok scrumhalf Rudy Paige from his Super Rugby squad, opting instead for youthfulness and pace. 

At the time, Mitchell spoke about how highly he rated Papier, saying that he saw the youngster turning into a world class scrumhalf in the future. 

While there is still a long way to go before any of that starts taking shape, Erasmus seems to be on the same page as Mitchell. 

The Bok transformation targets cannot be ignored - Erasmus has said as much - and if South Africa are to take a squad that is made up of 50% players of colour to next year's World Cup in Japan, then they need to give players opportunities to either succeed or fail in national colours before that tournament. 

There is no doubt that Papier could benefit from more Super Rugby - he is not considered the No scrumhalf at the Bulls yet - but the unique South African climate means that he is given a crack at the highest level immediately. 

According to Erasmus, all the right ingredients are there, with speed standing out as one of Papier's most dangerous weapons. 

"Embrose is a guy that I'm very excited about, especially when the game opens up," Erasmus said.

"He is lightning fast, probably one of the fastest guys in the team. In that I include Aphiwe (Dyantyi), S'bu (Nkosi), Jesse (Kriel) and everybody ... he's really lightning fast.

"He can speed up the game.

"Obviously at his age he has some work-ons in terms of his passing and box kicking, but he tackles really well and understands the defence system and is a natural attacker."

Erasmus applauded Mitchell's management of Papier so far this season, with the halfback having moved fluidly between the Super Rugby squad and the SuperSport Challenge team. 

"I think the way that Mitch has been grooming him has helped a lot," said Erasmus.

"He is going to make some mistakes tomorrow, but there is a lot of energy, speed and enthusiasm there."

Kick-off on Saturday is at 17:05. 

Teams:

South Africa

15 Warrick Gelant, 14 S'bu Nkosi, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Andre Esterhuizen, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 RG Snyman, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Thomas du Toit, 19 Jean-Luc du Preez, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Embrose Papier 22 Handre Pollard, 23 Willie le Roux

England

15 Elliot Daly, 14 Jonny May, 13 Henry Slade, 12 Owen Farrell (captain), 11 Mike Brown, 10 Danny Cipriani, 9 Ben Youngs, 8 Nathan Hughes, 7 Tom Curry, 6 Chris Robshaw, 5 Maro Itoje, 4 Joe Launchbury, 3 Kyle Sinckler, 2 Jamie George, 1 Joe Marler

Substitutes: 16 Luke Cowan-Dickie, 17 Alec Hepburn, 18 Harry Williams, 19 Jonny Hill, 20 Mark Wilson, 21 Sam Simmonds, 22 Ben Spencer, 23 Denny Solomona

Is this the last Bok waltz at old Newlands today?

3 hours ago, J1M1 said:

Is this the last Bok waltz at old Newlands today?

Seems like it.  Been coming for some time already.  Pressure from various ports..

Totally kak.  Not one stand-out player, could not handle the wet.  Imagine if we played against the ABs today...

• Like 1

Sign on the Bok change room door (after the game)......"Here we sit broken-hearted - came for a crap and only farted".

Goodbye: Elton, Chilli-boy, Frans. Don't call us, we'll call you.

• Like 1

This game may just have done us more good than harm. A good coach would now know which players to take forward to the world cup.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

This game may just have done us more good than harm

Klop! We learn from our mistakes - not our victories.

2 hours ago, J1M1 said:

Klop! We learn from our mistakes - not our victories.

Then why all the animosity towards Allister Coetzee? He was a prolific learner  not a kak coach. Come on guys. Stop your bias. :36_11_6:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stu said:

This game may just have done us more good than harm. A good coach would now know which players to take forward to the world cup.

Yes, out of the pan into the fire.  Exchange Jantjies for Willemse...Eish.  Young du Plessis would be a better choice, but then again....pigmentation deficiency...

https://sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/rassie-hints-at-willemse-call-up-20180624

Cape Town - Elton Jantjies' struggles at Newlands on Saturday confirmed that Handre Pollard is South Africa's first-choice flyhalf by some distance, but coach Rassie Erasmus is still searching for more depth in the position as preparations for the 2019 World Cup continue. 

And, listening to him speak after Saturday's 25-10 loss to England, it seems like Erasmus will be calling up 20-year-old Stormers playmaker Damian Willemse to play some part in this year's Rugby Championship.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke