Sign in to follow this  
vlagman

RIP Hawkeye - never to be forgotten

Guys I have just had some really sad news. Our old friend Hawk_Eye (Ben Mauer) has passed away on Tuesday. I was chatting to him on Whatsapp during the weekend and we were joking, as usual. He told me on Saturday that he was in bed with double pneumonia. I sent him a message, a funny picture, on Sunday and didn't get any response which seemed strange since he always responded with a few smileys or another joke. On Tuesday morning I sent another message asking about his health and again didn't get any response. I sent something again yesterday as well. Earlier today I tried to phone him directly on his phone and it went to voicemail. I tried again just after 12 (UK time). 

I just got a Whatsapp call and saw that it was an SA number and thought that it was him. Unfortunately it was his son Heinrich who broke the news that he passed away in hospital on Tuesday. I told him that I new about the pneumonia but he told me that it was actually a heart attack that was the cause of death. 

RIP Ben. We'll miss you mate. I have passed the condolences of the forum on to his son and his family.

• Sad 4

This is absolutely terrible news and my sympathies go out to his entire family and friends base. I wish everyone the best, wow, what a shock..we caused some kak over the years and will never be forgotten, Hawkeye was one of the originals who helped me set this forum up 8 years ago.

• Sad 2

I am speechless. One of of the really great forummers. Can’t remember a cross word between us which is amazing given our respective personalities. 

Condolences to his family. R.I.P. 

• Like 2

RIP Ben. Sincere condolences to his wife (M), son and daughter (N)

:36_1_38:

We will miss you. I always joked with him re meeting him for coffee one day but he was never keen  and I never go East. I know his brother died about a year ago, he was a prof of psychology at UNISA and Ben sent me a speech that was read at his funeral. Aai tog, words don't do justice to the loss. 

I was thinking of him today re yet another Cash in Transit heist in Boksburg (Atlas road) - he always used to moan about the buggers. He helped me with my kids laptops 2 years ago and also the UPS system I have installed for my hubbies PC.

I have a photo of him he sent me but only if the forum agrees for me to post it.

Sorry to lose you Ben

• Sad 2

I think it would be ok to post his pic Mata.

I'm in shock, how old was he?

Youngish, as old as Taipan and Vlag plus minus one year difference, although he never took offence when I called him Oom out of teasing.

My intention was to put a face to a name, for everyone. Internet friends and acquaintances can sometimes be more than "just the internet", and Ben certainly contributed to friendship with many of us.

However I have been requested not to post a photo so I will respect the wishes

I have also indicated I would try and see if I can attend the funeral  - depends on the date obviously, maybe if his son advises me and others are interested in planning to attend I will advise. Goraan says he seemingly can't post on the forum Barlee, 

From Goraan - The Memorial for my father will take place on Monday the 9th of July at 10:00am at the Afrique Boutique Hotel and Conference Centre in Ravenswood, Boksburg.

https://goo.gl/maps/7hmGAmXGb1D2

It isn't going to be a traditional funeral, my father was a very non-traditional person with regards to these kinds of things.

Please do pass these details on to the others as you see fit, I'm sure you would know who would like to attend.

• Like 1

Please let Goraan know he can now post, I think he can thank his dad for this one, a long time ago he changed an admin setting to only allow members with a certain amount of posts to post in this Gossip section, I am unable to find the setting So I gave him a  100 post count to bypass that.  :)

• Haha 1

Such BAD news!!

RIP Ben............gone but not forgotten - your posts live here.

• Like 2

That is a great shock and very sad news. My deepest condolences to his friends and family.

I never met Ben personally but had numerous email exchanges over the recent years. He came across as a thoroughly decent human, dedicated family man and a clever and inventive operator. He will be sadly missed by many. 

RIP Ben 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, supersupporter said:

Please let Goraan know he can now post, I think he can thank his dad for this one, a long time ago he changed an admin setting to only allow members with a certain amount of posts to post in this Gossip section, I am unable to find the setting So I gave him a  100 post count to bypass that.  :)

LOL I think you are right 😉

Very sad indeed. Always contributed in a knowledgable and logical fashion. RIP Ben. 

• Like 2

Guest Goraan

Hi All,

Thank you all for the kind words about my father, he was an incredible presence in life. His legacy, and impact on other's lives will endure indefinitely. 

He told me many times how much he enjoyed the engagement on this forum, having come from a few forums before this one, he always enjoyed meeting like-minded (and not so like-minded) people in this sort of format. It is self-evident that he had an impact here on at least a few people and hopefully that influence will endure long after he is laid to rest.

He was 64 when he passed away, for those asking..

Thank you all again.

Heinrich Mauer

HI Goraan,

Condolences to you and your family, your dad was a good man, a genuine person and a friend to many here.

Sterkte!

• Like 2

It is a great shock indeed.

My father also passed away recently and it is really tough to find words to make it feel better for anyone. At times like this one comes to realise just how much of an influence the people around us have in our lives.

I am sure his legacy will live on through his children, friends and even acquaintances. Even small things we barely think about at the time touches the lives of others.

R.I.P.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Hey Heinrich, I have just been given the bad news and am still in somewhat of a state of shock. I have so many memories of the exchanges between "Hawkey" and all of us on this and other forum. He was forthright, honest and knowledgeable. 

He will be missed by all!

May I offer my most sincere condolences to you and your family for your loss. 

• Like 3

Guest Denny

Rest in peace Hawkeye and my condolences to the family.

So I went to Ben's memorial service today. 600km 6hrs round trip (and luckily got to miss all the rain and kapok that fell later).

What can one say? 

The guy we met and knew on this forum is the same guy that his family spoke about with grief and love and pride. :36_1_38:

Sometimes I don't think we always realise/understand the impact of such small communities as is this forum. or the quality of the people that have remained here. Many of us are cyber acquaintances/friends of varying degrees. Yet in today's life, such relationships are similar to some real life friendships. We all come here daily mostly to share comments and opinions on sport, and often roll over into other areas of life. Politics. Music. Shared likes and dislikes. It's almost like our working community, where we get to know most of the quirks of some of our colleagues. And when one of us is removed, an untimely illness or death, just as in a real life friendship, it creates real life loss and grief. And some battle to understand that reaction. I am still teary-eyed after the memorial, and my hubbie still does not understand my reaction to albeit a death/loss, of a so-called cyber friend. But it's OK. I understand such. I know where I (and others perhaps on this forum) are coming from. The connections we have with most of the forummers nowadays are real. Telephone calls. E mails. Watts app. Meeting each other. I regret not meeting Ben for coffee, but he was a private person. I do not regret meeting all the others I have had the opportunity to share some time with along a beer or coffee. If tomorrow comes, we will know we are indeed friends.

RIP Ben. The hole you have left in our lives will indeed take aeons to live through

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 1 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke