Sign in to follow this  
WeDaFaKaWe

Bad News

They don't give much detail. Perhaps he landed badly. Can't say if it was a high tackle.

But you're right about the tackle law.

Strange how we were all taught at school to tackle low, I can't think that there's a coach any where in the world that would coach a high tackle, but it still remains a problem.

Very sad news

We have to always remember this is a contact sport, and the position of the player being tackled can often make any hard tackle dangerous. I am not sure what the details are here.

21 minutes ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

They don't give much detail. Perhaps he landed badly. Can't say if it was a high tackle.

But you're right about the tackle law.

Strange how we were all taught at school to tackle low, I can't think that there's a coach any where in the world that would coach a high tackle, but it still remains a problem.

Various reasons. Players are coached to trap the arms to prevent the offload. If you can keep the ball up I'm the maul you gain possession.

That makes sense.

But thinking about that, don't you think the ever popular 'rip' is almost promoting the high tackle.

Players are going in upright the attack the ball.

Perhaps Barney can shed some light with his approach.

1 minute ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

That makes sense.

But thinking about that, don't you think the ever popular 'rip' is almost promoting the high tackle.

Players are going in upright the attack the ball.

Perhaps Barney can shed some light with his approach.

Agreed. Barney's views will be enlightening as always.

Haha... I was already thinking of a response, but now I have to think a bit quicker...

The right answer however is a bit of a kak answer... "IT DEPENDS"...

One would need to make a decision on the tackle used, based on the field position and the situation.

1. When you isolated as a defender and there are support runners for the opposition, the "right" decision is to go for the wrap tackle. Firstly you prevent the offload and secondly, you slow down the presentation of the ball at the ruck. With that you buy time for more defenders to support. (High-ish... Tackle should be between shoulder and waist...)
  2. As a side-note holding the ball up has its merits... In 7s rugby the turn-over is called quicker so its quite effective to win the turnover (Same height as 1)
  3. In contrast with point 1, if you have many defenders and less attackers close-by, the decision to go low is the better one. Getting the attacker on the ground quicker, gives you the opportunity to steal the ball while you have greater numbers.(Leg tackle)
  4. With a head-on tackle you gain dominance when you go in close to the opponents centre of gravity and drive in on that area. You also lift the player slightly to get their feet slightly off the ground so that they have no stability. (Could however lead to a "tip-tackle", when the drive is too effective... (Tackle is at hip/waist height...)
  5. Side-on tackles in open field with some-one running at full pace, only required upsetting the alignment of the hips of the runner. Go in too high and you can get bumped off... Go in to low and you can miss the tackle completely if your timing in not spot-on... You want to put in a decent "hit" or "disturbance" in the hip area... The reasoning behind this is that all your power in sports come from the core muscles around the hip/waist area... Sprinters specifically need to keep their hips aligned to generate pace... You only need to upset that slightly at full pace and a player will fall all on their own, even after you take away the contact... This is usually for an open field one-on-one tackle... (Like the previous on hip/waist high)

You would therefore have to adapt to the situation. For example one that I did not list above, is one where you get your head on the "wrong side" on purpose. Similar to point 4, you then need to ABSOLUTELY DOMINATE in contact because of the risk of neck/head injuries. If you dominate, it's a great effective tackle (especially for corner-flagging)... If you don't dominate there is probably a 50% chance that you'll leave the field with concussion...

I personally prefer to coach going in waist/hip high for head-on or side-on tackles. But the more you go side on, the lower your target gets. More tacklers get injured in tackles, because they wait (on the back-foot) for the runner to come at them. If you go in to dominate (front-foot) and waist high, the chance for injury is very small. Once the player gets the basics right, you can start to look at the variations and the reasons for the variations (slightly lower or higher).

9 hours ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

I would actually like to see the rip penalised if the ball goes forward from the rippers direction, i call that a deliberate knock on and it will stop that stupid tactic.

17 hours ago, vlagman said:

@Barnacle Check this one. Yellow?

Fair tackle. The actual hit is just below shoulder height (like the Bismark one). At the same time, during the hit, the body alignment will transfer more of the force and also because of the alignment the tackled player is partially protected through the same principle...

But because of the huge impact, it looks worse than it is... Will probably be called as illegal in more than 50% of the cases.

A good example of perception vs fact. Ideal for a referee training clip!

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

But because of the huge impact, it looks worse than it is... Will probably be called as illegal in more than 50% of the cases.

Exactly. And to think that Romain Twat looked at the replay several times before pulling out his yellow card. 

And once again. I do not blame Poite for the eventual red card. I put that squarely on Bismarck’s own shoulders. The fact that it was escalated to a red card was down to Poite but it was Bismarck, on his own, who shoved his elbow into Messum’s throat while knowing that he was already on a yellow. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke