Sign in to follow this  
Mata Hari

So what is

everyone planning this December/Holiday/Christmas and New Year Season?

Usually we are told in advance who is making what marinade over what coals for dinner and their guests, what wood will be used and what sides will accompany the drinks....

I have had a rough 6 months of doing 2.5 to 3 people's work, my brains are jumbled,  I need some inspiration this side.

We are not going away, I have Financial year end to do, so only leave Mid January for a break, at this stage I don't even know where that will be, maybe a visit down South East towards the Homeland.....

So brighten my year end up, pretty please

And yes, I still miss Ben

We do not go overboard if I am honest, since we have a young family and no extended family, we keep meals simple, most likely be a roast and nice dessert and then a walk on the freezing beaches.

• Like 1

Like Barlee, we're keeping it simple.

It's to hot for a meal, fruit salad and ice cream goes down the best this time of year.

• Like 3

We are also having a small celebration Christmas Eve. Very small this year, just the 4 of us, my eldest is still overseas. And then we totally relax Christmas Day and eat my Trifle all day long which my family and in laws are crazy about....

Anyone going away anywhere?

On 12/13/2018 at 2:15 AM, Mata Hari said:

We are also having a small celebration Christmas Eve. Very small this year, just the 4 of us, my eldest is still overseas. And then we totally relax Christmas Day and eat my Trifle all day long which my family and in laws are crazy about....

Anyone going away anywhere?

How much booze in that trifle?

I am doing some hog (Cantonese style) in the Weber this year. The roast is 3.5 kgs. I have had about three practice runs to date and have got the crackling just right. The mother in law will be on hand to supervise (she being the grand master of roast pork).

As discussed having a few days in Singapore and Cambodia just after Christmas with the Canadian based relatives  

• Like 2

The missus & i are going to roumania.......the family will get together for lunch - hopefully without any conflict, the women are all serious chefs so the food is excellent, the likka is keenly priced and the wine is the product of storage over the last years......... all we need is for the majority to get out of Jhb to ensure a peaceful time..............

Christmas day (after church) is always started with my version of a "white Christmas" - scotch & milk with plenty of ice.

After that who really cares?

:36_11_6:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Docker said:

How much booze in that trifle?

I am doing some hog (Cantonese style) in the Weber this year. The roast is 3.5 kgs. I have had about three practice runs to date and have got the crackling just right. The mother in law will be on hand to supervise (she being the grand master of roast pork).

As discussed having a few days in Singapore and Cambodia just after Christmas with the Canadian based relatives  

LOL only a tad muscadel. If I want to drink I put my alcohol into a glass 😉

You must send me a few tips, eldest wanting to travel to Cambodia, Vietnam and Singapore sometime Feb

Enjoy the visitors, behave yourself. MAybe treat them to your newly acquired braai skills 😉

Edited by Mata Hari

On 12/14/2018 at 4:54 PM, Mata Hari said:

You must send me a few tips, eldest wanting to travel to Cambodia, Vietnam and Singapore sometime Feb

Safe as houses in Singapore - almost nil violent crime. The downside is that beers are $20 and hotels can be expensive. Food is cheap (and excellent) particularly if you like Asian food (Cantonese, Malay, Indian) but you need to eat at hawker huts or food halls (all of which are spotless). Upmarket restaurants are expensive.

Cambodia and Vietnam have a fair bit of petty crime (organised crime is run by the Vietnamese government which runs both countries) but the beers are 50 cents. Plenty of Australians and others backpack around Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - pretty safe to be fair if you take some basic precautions. Food is very cheap even paying the whitey prices (two prices in most of shitty Asia) and pretty good.

You can do all the sights of Singapore in 2-3 days so I wouldn't plan to be there long. The wife has relatives there so we always have to hang around and go to endless dinners with uber rich Singaporeans which has limited charm   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2018 at 8:35 AM, Docker said:

Safe as houses in Singapore - almost nil violent crime. The downside is that beers are $20 and hotels can be expensive. Food is cheap (and excellent) particularly if you like Asian food (Cantonese, Malay, Indian) but you need to eat at hawker huts or food halls (all of which are spotless). Upmarket restaurants are expensive.

Cambodia and Vietnam have a fair bit of petty crime (organised crime is run by the Vietnamese government which runs both countries) but the beers are 50 cents. Plenty of Australians and others backpack around Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - pretty safe to be fair if you take some basic precautions. Food is very cheap even paying the whitey prices (two prices in most of shitty Asia) and pretty good.

You can do all the sights of Singapore in 2-3 days so I wouldn't plan to be there long. The wife has relatives there so we always have to hang around and go to endless dinners with uber rich Singaporeans which has limited charm   

Thanks Dock, she is backpacking most of the places but trying to be sensible re the matter....I told her not to go to the shitty places LOL but kids nowadays google reviews and all such before hand. She will be sending me an itineray at some stage, when I get something I'll bounce off you 'for comments'...

:36_3_16:

13 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

Thanks Dock, she is backpacking most of the places but trying to be sensible re the matter....I told her not to go to the shitty places LOL but kids nowadays google reviews and all such before hand. She will be sending me an itineray at some stage, when I get something I'll bounce off you 'for comments'...

:36_3_16:

Daughters.............good for the faith & hell on the nerves!!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, J1M1 said:

Daughters.............good for the faith & hell on the nerves!!!

You tell me!!!! She was going to go with a 'tour group' and mom felt quite happy at that thought knowing she would be safe and enjoy the trip. Then she came up with the idea she can go tour on her own, save dollars and enjoy herself, go where she wants to and not waste money on paying for things she dn want to do etc etc.... Ja well no fine is all I can say...I already told her my nerves will be shot everyday - but at the same time, she feels confident she can do this and has spoken to many who have successfully toured the area on her own and wants to underscore her independence and fuck knows what else but anyway.....I respect her choice, but yes my nerves will be shot....

Edited by Mata Hari
  • Like 1

I'm off work, but are working 3 projects at home. 

Building a verandah at the back of the house.

Replacing a patio door with restored meranti french doors...the replacing should be fine, it's the restoration part that's the bummer.

...and getting the pool in shape after a year and a half of drought.

Hoping for some good cricket to keep me company while I'm busy. 

5 minutes ago, DbDraad said:

Replacing a patio door with restored meranti french doors...the replacing should be fine, it's the restoration part that's the bummer.

Hanging any door is my worst nightmare......:joint:

2 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

Hanging any door is my worst nightmare......:joint:

Hate it too, but this should be easier.  I got it with the frame, so everything should fit back together like before....right????

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, DbDraad said:

I'm off work, but are working 3 projects at home. 

Building a verandah at the back of the house.

...and getting the pool in shape after a year and a half of drought.

Hoping for some good cricket to keep me company while I'm busy. 

LOL good luck. We have had no consistent water for 4+ years now, my pool has been empty for 4+ years...I am about to fill it with building rubble and lay foundations and build a bachelor flat on it to rent out...Ah the plans I have if only hubbie would come to the party....he always says br in law builds sand castles and I paint them...the rest of my garden is dead, mors fokken dead, I no longer have grass, not one blade, we have received in fact since 1 August 2018 about 30mm of rain and it's mid Dec....so your drought has moved up NW.  We can only hope for rains because the water in the pipes only barely last 4 hrs a day...can barely wash and live in those 4 hrs, there ain't excess for grass and swimming pools...it's a right royal f up....

53 minutes ago, DbDraad said:

And I suppose buffer tanks are illegal???

We have a tank. Only used for house purposes. As I say we can go a week without municipal water in the pipes so our tank is really only used for that. Clothes washing when the washer is full. Shower x4 of us. I use buckets for grey water on the gardens toilets etc. So we have a buffer but it is relevant at any given time due to our non existent service delivery . MOst certainly would never be used for the garden, ours is too big and water too little. We need rains dammit......

2 hours ago, DbDraad said:

Hate it too, but this should be easier.  I got it with the frame, so everything should fit back together like before....right????

The key to hanging a door is the right equipment. This piece of kit is vitally important. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Roughneck-32500-Door-Board-Lifter/B003CT4DA4

Like i say to people, i have 2 boys and I only have to worry about 2 boys, if I had a girl (daughter) then I would have to worry about every boy..

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, supersupporter said:

Like i say to people, i have 2 boys and I only have to worry about 2 boys, if I had a girl (daughter) then I would have to worry about every boy..

No mate. Not in today’s world. You should worry about every girl they come across.

You would have start teaching them very early not to even look at any girl, let alone think of wolve whistle or making any comments. Let alone even dare to touch them or even complimenting them in any way, no matter how good looking they may be. You never know which one is going to lay a charge of sexual harassment and leave one of your boys stuffed for the rest of his life. 😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, supersupporter said:

JA Barlee, I feel the same...(unfortunately)...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DbDraad said:

Ever heard of Murphy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Goraan
    Newest Member
    Goraan