Sign in to follow this  
J1M1

Algorithms.......

In early December i was looking for a 60 bottle wine fridge/cooler.

Suddenly inundated with adverts for every manner of appliance even vaguely related to the item.

I object to being spied on - i don't need anyone knowing where i am, who i'm with, what i'm eating/drinking, what my address is, what my likes/dislikes are.

Luddite? Yes please!!

44 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

Suddenly inundated with adverts for every manner of appliance even vaguely related to the item.

I object to being spied on - i don't need anyone knowing where i am, who i'm with, what i'm eating/drinking, what my address is, what my likes/dislikes are.

Luddite? Yes please!!

Browse in private 

I find truecaller to be a useful app on my phone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J1M1 said:

Luddite? Yes please!!

In 2013, I was sitting in the car in a parking area, listening to the radio and generally minding my own business while waiting for my wife. A doos in a Land Rover reversed into the right front of the car. 

I didn’t even claim from my insurance. He contacted his insurer and they contacted me and the claim was settled in two weeks. 

I still get calls from “injury lawyers” (fucking ambulance chasers) who want to assist me in claiming for the injuries that my family and I endured during our “recent motor vehicle accident”. 

• Like 1

Seeing much of the same thing whenever I do anything online.

The only way you will have privacy is to go completely off the grip. For work, just about everything that I have is connected in some way. To get my own privacy back, I will have to create a new identity....

• Sad 1

It gets worse........From a "financial investment company"

Cell-phone cameras have really been improving!!

Next comes the application of machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques to photos.

So, when snapping a group pic, focus on that particular child (or cat or dog), because the phone knows he's mine.

File that schedule to my diary, because the phone knows that this photo is of a table with dates and specific information.

Buy those ingredients from Amazon now, because the phone knows that this picture is a recipe.

Better still, you will be able ask your phone five years later to "find that photo of me on Clifton beach with my old school friend James".

God help us!

All the information seems to point to algorithms being responsible for the deaths of two planeloads of innocent people & flight staff. Methinks these tragedies will go down in history as the day when IT/AI etc killed people while overriding the human intervention (of the pilots).

Will Boeing & the US economy survive? I'm doubtful.......but maybe the algorithms will think different.

This is a bit off topic, but back in the Y2K terror period, a plane loaded of IT engineers were headed for Oranjemund, to contain the disaster that the new millennium was supposed to bring.

The plane crashed killing all on board. They'd all probably still be alive today if it wasn't that Y2K BS.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke