Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
supersupporter

Decision time

Recommended Posts

The domain is due for renewal and I wanted to see if there is a general consensus to keep this running. It is only $16 to renew for the next year and since I host it myself, I wanted to see what you guys think, this place is not buzzing any more and has not for a while, but, there is still some chatter and a long history of conversations that will be lost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barlee, I would hate for the few of us to loose contact. I also know that Facebook did not work out well and I also know that it does take time and the few quid on your side. What it boils down to is that all the effort and cost ( the little there is) is on your shoulders and the return on that is pretty minimal. I would not like to weigh in because it would be selfish because I am all for keeping it going for the sake of keeping contact with all of my friends on here. 

IMO it is purely up to you. If the decision is to can it in the end, I would suggest that we set up a WhatsApp group to keep the contact. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be very tragic. Yes I have been having major on line problems and therefore been quiet. But I'm back. Will make an effort to contribute.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This forum is WAY better than F/book or any of the other kak on offer.........the people are real, the language is plain & the comments are almost always worth reading......just one request - can we get rid of the "Arlecchino" things?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a donate button above, what I might do is see how much we can raise in the next couple days and then register the domain for as long as possible, since I host and maintain, the cost to keep it up and running is minimal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read here and on Facebook Barry. I love this forum itself so will always be around as long as we are around. For the record Vlag our Facebook group is not less quieter than here. We also have a few standard people as we have on this forum, but we do have other people posting on there/commenting regularly. They just tend to talk sport mostly on the Facebook group.  No music or politics 😉

A watts app group BArry is a decent 2nd option in my opinion since as you say it tends to be more 'personal'.

But I am with you if you want to keep the space open, we have less than 2 handfuls on here, but we still the regular handfuls...Duke is very active on Twitter maybe Vlag can convince him to rejoin us now and then...Gen is mostly on Twitter and Facebook, but I doubt she would return she's a tad busy with her boys...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had 3 donations for the forum, so I will renew the domain for a few years, this should keep it up and running as it does not need much work to keep online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'll make a contribution as soon as Standard Bank decide to send me a new card - fraudulent use last week - card cancelled.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, J1M1 said:

i'll make a contribution as soon as Standard Bank decide to send me a new card - fraudulent use last week - card cancelled.  

Must be those dodgy sites you have been surfing (LOL).

Hopefully all good now

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These bastards at one point, not sure if they still do, would be given lists of numbers and dates, these are randomly created, and they would use them with iTunes, which is small amounts, and as soon as a number works, then the number is handed off to use on bigger things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Often I get people trying to order services from me, these guys are sooo stupid, but I am sure some get caught. They order a website for $1000 for example, and then they tell me that the info I need, images etc are with a designer, they will give me $5000, I need to then send $4000 to the graphics designers team to get the content. They even say they will throw in a couple hundred as a tip.

Once I agree, they send me credit card info to process, it is nice to play along, as all that info you pass onto cops or Credit Card Company

The idea is I process $5000 fraudulently and I send $4000 legitimate money to a 3rd party, CC company get the 5G back from me and I am unable to get my 4g back. 

Clever scam but also stupid if anyone does fall for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting....."a new card will be delivered within 2 (two) working days to a branch of your choice".....that was last Thursday......

"Zalando Lounge".....the family ears pricked up - sadly for them it's a UK fashion store - :36_11_6:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J1M1 said:

Still waiting....."a new card will be delivered within 2 (two) working days to a branch of your choice".....that was last Thursday......

"Zalando Lounge".....the family ears pricked up - sadly for them it's a UK fashion store - :36_11_6:

Pmsl

So you say Oom, so you say... 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 8..........still waiting........lucky i found cash under the mattress

Building to a "friendly call" to Standard's card director....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 6:03 PM, supersupporter said:

Often I get people trying to order services from me, these guys are sooo stupid, but I am sure some get caught. They order a website for $1000 for example, and then they tell me that the info I need, images etc are with a designer, they will give me $5000, I need to then send $4000 to the graphics designers team to get the content. They even say they will throw in a couple hundred as a tip.

Once I agree, they send me credit card info to process, it is nice to play along, as all that info you pass onto cops or Credit Card Company

The idea is I process $5000 fraudulently and I send $4000 legitimate money to a 3rd party, CC company get the 5G back from me and I am unable to get my 4g back. 

Clever scam but also stupid if anyone does fall for it.

The following is on the public record here (if you know where to look).

I used be a member on a government board here overseeing real estate agents. We had a similar problems with deposits being paid by CC and then being returned to a different account. The CC people would front up seeking a refund for the fraud and the agent would then be out of pocket. My primary role was to oversee the fidelity fund which protected consumers monies held in real estate agents trust account (we had around $AUD100 million in the fund which was from interest paid on real estate agent trusts and rental bonds - we got 75% of it). Unfortunately the fund couldn't be used to reimburse agents for their losses - only their clients. Suffice to say deposits by credit card were banned shortly thereafter and we also introduced a 100 point identity check for all transactions. This was after an ex Saffer had his house in Perth sold without his knowledge and the monies appropriated. The ex Saffers was back in SA for six months after his wife died. The Land Titles Office had to make good on this transaction as they accepted a death certificate that was a fake and it was the third different one presented.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still no card or any communication from Standard Bank (ironic their logo is "moving forward") 

Set to visit them with the heavy artillery later this morning.........we're going to have some fun!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

Still no card or any communication from Standard Bank (ironic their logo is "moving forward") 

Set to visit them with the heavy artillery later this morning.........we're going to have some fun!! 

Can you pay via your smartphone or wearable technology in SA? No need to carry any cards here now which is good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J1M1 said:

Still no card or any communication from Standard Bank (ironic their logo is "moving forward") 

Set to visit them with the heavy artillery later this morning.........we're going to have some fun!! 

Time to move to FNB? I have no problem getting cards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, taipan said:

Time to move to FNB? I have no problem getting cards.

FNB delivery on cards is good. What I like about FNB is able to contact them via the app where relevant. Absa still a bit behind in that regard but my main acc is with ABSA.At the end of the day, most of the main banks are all alike. Just like most of the audit firms 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Docker said:

Can you pay via your smartphone or wearable technology in SA? No need to carry any cards here now which is good.

Yes, i'm sure you can......my problem is i don't want any financials on my phone......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, J1M1 said:

Yes, i'm sure you can......my problem is i don't want any financials on my phone......

Fair enough but you can have more layers of security on your phone than a simple PIN number used for a card.

In time physical cards will disappear and e-cards will be the only option like e-sims which are now being rolled out here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    11,610
    Total Topics
    394,125
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    54
    Total Members
    2,160
    Most Online
    Goraan
    Newest Member
    Goraan
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...