Sign in to follow this  
vlagman

Please read this...

Guys I love to make fun on a lot of things on this forum but this time I want to be serious for a while. 

We have a Whatsapp group of our group of school friends who matriculated in the same year. One of my friends warned the men some time ago that we need to have our regular check ups, since he has been diagnosed with either testicular or prostate cancer. I cannot remember which one it was but it was caught fairly early and he seems to be OK for now. I thought "yeah thanks, maybe I will have a check at some stage". I obviously put it on the back burner, until now.

This is what has now happened. 

I discovered a mole like growth on my back some time ago. Actually started of as a large brown spot. It eventually started to bulge out a bit. Towards the end of last year it really started to get bigger. 

About two three months ago it got really big and I seem to have caused it to bleed drying myself after a shower. I started being more careful but in early July my wife persuaded me to go see the quack about it. 

I went to see the GP and at first she said that it looks like Seborrhoeic Keratosis which is normally harmless. A week later it got damaged again and was bleeding during the night and had some fluid oozing the following day. 

I went back to my GP and she said it looked different this time and referred me to the dermatologist and also put me on a course of antibiotics. 

The dermatologist referred me to have it removed and analysed. That was done and I then had to go see the CNS. That was when I got the news that it was indeed a Melanoma and ascan was arranged. That happened on last Sunday. 

Today I saw the melanoma surgeon. The scan was clean bar a lymph node that was very slightly enlarged. Apparently normal is 1mm and this one is closer to 1.2mm. He investigated and said that he could not detect anything but he wanted to be certain. So, I’m still not out of the woods. 

This is now the next course of action. They will be doing an ultrasonic biopsy during which the node is detected using ultra sound and fluid is collected for a biopsy. Then I have to go to Oxford where they will do tests to determine the feasibility of anesthetics due to my atrial fibrillation and being on Apixaban blood thinners. Reason is that more tissue needs to be removed from where the melanoma was cut out the other day as a precaution. During this procedure one more small mole that was discovered today will also be removed as a precaution. In addition they will inject some radioactive stuff, as well some kind of blue ink into the wound when they remove the additional tissue. This is to trace and remove any other lymph nodes around the area, also as a precaution. This process has to be done under anaesthetic, hence the trip to Oxford. 

If all goes well, and no further cancer cells are detected, I will stay in the MacMillan Cancer setup for five years where I will be monitored and will be scanned every six months. Thereafter for another five years being scanned every 12 months. 

So, all in all the removal of the mole and the scan last Sunday was only the start of a process. 

I have to say it was a hair raising few days until I heard today that the CT scan showed that I was clean with no clear traces of the cancer having spread to any other organs, tissue or bones thus far. Fingers crossed that the rest goes smoothly as well.

I said this to someone last night:

"I actually want to share this with all my friends in SA to look after their skins and not take anything for granted. I spent a hell of a lot of time in and around the swimming pool being a swimmer and taking part in water sports like water polo, etc. I never cared for sunscreen and shyte because I "mos wasn’t a moffie". Each of these guys,  who are taking care of me now,  rolled their eyes every time they heard that I grew up in SA. They keep telling me that a lot of their melanoma patients are whiteys who was raised Africa.

So, want I want to say is please pay attention to out of the ordinary shit when you notice it. I did not and I may still pay the price. I should have had that brown spot looked at when I first noticed it. Thing with melanoma is that it is not about how large it is but rather how deep it has grown. Up to 4mm deep is the norm for being safe. Anything beyond that is considered to be a high risk. Mine was 9mm deep. It grew from an oval brown spot of probably about 1mm by 3mm to this bulge of 3cm by 17 mm and 9mm deep before I had it checked out. And you don't have to tell me. I know I was a fucking idiot to ignore it for so long.

Melanoma.jpg

• Sad 2

Good luck Vlag.

i started having full bloods done every year about 3 years ago. 

Hope for the best Vlag. Sorry to read about this.

I fell off my motorbike last year and broke my hand so I had to see the orthopedic surgeon, but other than that I haven't been to a GP since my medical in the army.

I'd rather not know to be honest.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

I fell off my motorbike last year and broke my hand so I had to see the orthopedic surgeon, but other than that I haven't been to a GP since my medical in the army.

A few weeks ago I would have agreed, Weda, but now I've changed my mind. As I said, had I checked out that brown spot, it would have been removed and job done.

21 hours ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

The approach my husband seems to take regarding his health

Having said that, until last year when he went for a gall bladder removal, he has had way fewer health issues in our time together than wena.....:emot117: But still, I try get him to have those checkups...he just ignores me....what is it with men? We have to go to the gynae regularly and get them poking and ogling in our bits while we try suck up our embarassment, we have to go for mammograms and have them squash everything tight against ice cold plates and yet the other halves refuse to have a finger stuck up their asses...:emot11: TIC such pissies at time :36_11_6:

Strongs Vlag, keep the check ups going....(and all you other 'brave' men out there...mostly your better halves want you healthy ne....)

Edited by Mata Hari

In the larger centres, prostates are checked by blood test.

2 hours ago, taipan said:

In the larger centres, prostates are checked by blood test.

That is something that gets me going.

Everybody is forever busy up in arms over breast cancer and cervical cancer etc, and I’m not saying that it is unimportant. Fact is that more men die of prostate cancer than women dying from breast cancer. Also bear in mind that there are already more women than men as it is which makes the percentage of prostate cancer deaths even higher. 

3 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

Interesting. The numbers are there but the effect from breast cancer is seemingly 'more years lost'

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/02/02/breast-cancer-is-far-more-destructive-than-prostate-cancer

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

The bottom line is that both are easily diagnosed if you take precautions. 

I think that I’d the point of Vlag’s original post. 

I had a sore in my ear a few years back, it was not getting better, turned out to be a Basal Cell Carcinoma, not a dangerous one from what I am aware, but still needed to be removed. Most of my ear was cut away and skin graft done, very clever those guys. That was to be the end of it, until it returned, had another op done, this time not so much needed to be removed. The removed section was sent off and they test the ends to see if all ends of the removed section are free from cancer and this is how they know it is clear.

I would say, any sore, skin growth, just get it checked.

• Like 2

Very interesting conversations..........i've had cancer twice. First time at age 20 that included 3 weeks (every Monday/Wednesday/Friday - 5 minutes) intensive radiation therapy at the old Princess Nursing Home after the operation which was seriously NOT fun. In fact the only relief i got was from cannabis. 

The second time was a bout of bladder cancer about 6-7 years ago. The post-op treatment was far kinder (they inject what they call "weed-killer) & i didn't lose any days off work (except for the treatment days). The surgeon believes smoking was the main issue.

no re-occurrence since 

In both cases, early action probably saved me. If you see anything odd - go to the doctor!!

Your body is a signal lamp and you need to watch closely!!

Also, imho, stay very wary of all " electronic radiation devices" - cellphones, towers, antennae, microwave ovens, laptops, anything that radiates microwaves etc.

Lastly, cancer is not a death warrant. In fact, i can honestly say we give it too big a status which affects our mental state. i found these words very helpful - 

It cannot cripple love.It cannot shatter hope. It cannot corrode faith.It cannot destroy confidence. It cannot kill friendships

It cannot shut out memories. It cannot silence courage. It cannot invade the soul. It cannot destroy peace.

It can......but only if we give it permission to do so.

(here endeth the sermon for the year :joint:)

• Like 3

When you turn 50 here you get a National Bowel Cancer kit in the mail. You send it off and if they get back to you with the verdict shortly thereafter.  I keep forgetting to do mine but I have had two colonoscopies to date and another one is scheduled shortly so I aren't ignoring colon health.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J1M1 said:

Lastly, cancer is not a death warrant. In fact, i can honestly say we give it too big a status which affects our mental state. i found these words very helpful - 

It cannot cripple love.It cannot shatter hope. It cannot corrode faith.It cannot destroy confidence. It cannot kill friendships

It cannot shut out memories. It cannot silence courage. It cannot invade the soul. It cannot destroy peace.

Cancer in all it's forms is a prick of a disease. Thankfully the cures seem to be getting better and better. A guy who lives a few doors down from me has set up a business which is the latest generation of radio oncology. From what he tells me the treatment is extremely precise and has no side effects (except to your cash). They do a lot of prostate treatments which is a lot better than the pellets they use now.  

https://5dclinics.com.au/clinic/

• Like 1

Many labs are trying to find what causes cancer,  For example breast cancer is definitely on the up, why are more women getting breast cancer? Plus other cancers and the other day I read an article that is saying that plastic could be a cause, if you warm food up in plastic containers certain gases could be released into the food that you will then ingest.

That got me thinking that we all do this in microwaves, so yes, it may seem a long shot, but could also be a cause, so I now warm food up in glass and then transfer to plastic if need be.

1 hour ago, supersupporter said:

That got me thinking that we all do this in microwaves, so yes, it may seem a long shot, but could also be a cause, so I now warm food up in glass and then transfer to plastic if need be.

You may be onto something here. Never thought about that.

1 hour ago, supersupporter said:

Many labs are trying to find what causes cancer,  For example breast cancer is definitely on the up, why are more women getting breast cancer? Plus other cancers and the other day I read an article that is saying that plastic could be a cause, if you warm food up in plastic containers certain gases could be released into the food that you will then ingest.

Actually, it's not a long shot. When i was at Samsung Telecoms, the hot topic in their retail office was Margaret Hirsch (wife of Hirsch the retail store owner) who demanded from HQ in S/Korea that Samsung provide a warning regarding plastic & microwave cooking. Every manual now says something to the effect that "wait 1-2 minutes before consuming". I'm sure you can google the whole affair. Mrs Hirsch noticed that too many of her pals were getting cancer soon after M/wave ovens were launched.......this back in 1996-7.

The big problem is that no company can wait 10 years having tests done by laboratories before launching a new product that'll make them millions........ those old brick cellphones - ended every day with a headache & still have a kind of "beauty spot" on the left temple.

Make no mistake manufacturers play fast & loose with our health, and their lobbyists are always on hand to beat out the fires that occur when people get pissed off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J1M1 said:

and their lobbyists are always on hand to beat out the fires that occur when people get pissed off.

Yesssss.  Major issue. 

Okay to be controversial for a change. Not that I have ever done it before.

Maybe the problem is that we are all living too long? 

Maybe we have got too precise in determining the cause of death?

Dementia has become a serious problem. Why?

10 hours ago, J1M1 said:

Very interesting conversations..........i've had cancer twice. First time at age 20 that included 3 weeks (every Monday/Wednesday/Friday - 5 minutes) intensive radiation therapy at the old Princess Nursing Home after the operation which was seriously NOT fun. In fact the only relief i got was from cannabis. 

The second time was a bout of bladder cancer about 6-7 years ago. The post-op treatment was far kinder (they inject what they call "weed-killer) & i didn't lose any days off work (except for the treatment days). The surgeon believes smoking was the main issue.

no re-occurrence since 

In both cases, early action probably saved me. If you see anything odd - go to the doctor!!

Your body is a signal lamp and you need to watch closely!!

Also, imho, stay very wary of all " electronic radiation devices" - cellphones, towers, antennae, microwave ovens, laptops, anything that radiates microwaves etc.

All too true. I lost a good friend to cancer 1 month ago.He suffered till the very end in extreme pain despite taking the cannabis oil. Another good friend had both breasts removed 12 months ago. The cancer was treated, clean and came back. She is however so far enjoying whatever rest of her life she can, except I think her husband has now some form of bowel cancer 😞

A family member who sexually molested me is having a seriously tough time with his cancer after having a kidney removed last year_it all grew back and has spread to various parts. I have made my peace with him. To be honest I am more afraid of dementia/alzheimers than cancer, but that is spoken from ignorance, however it is still my belief. Healthy eating and lifestyles have their benefits except my pension won't last so long 😉 and my boss who belonged to the healthy brigade has blood cancer. Such is life. Enjoy the shit while we still can

Jim, I'm glad you're up and about and no smoking ne!!! Alas I know more people who are dying died and affected by cancers than heart disease or so...it's the illness of our century...

Edited by Mata Hari

16 hours ago, taipan said:

Indeed! It's financially beneficial for the big pharma companies to keep us all alive (no matter what the quality of life).

13 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

Jim, I'm glad you're up and about and no smoking ne!!!

Still smokin'..........at the very least i've got a very good idea what i'll die from.....:36_11_6: Ek & Peter Stuyvesant.......the mongrels scrapped Texan plain some years back.

On 9/10/2019 at 8:30 AM, taipan said:

Klop!

i read somewhere that IBM have created/designed a nano-robot that is injected into the bloodstream that exclusively "eats" only cancer cells & the waste product is then ejected via urine flow................some very clever people around!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, taipan said:

An ageing demographic is a massive problem for a lot of countries including here. The population is ageing, expensive modern medical technology can keep people alive for a lot longer but the revenue (tax) base is diminishing as birth rates drop. Is all eventually going to end in tears and we will have the tap the old dears on the head. I am making plans (alcohol, bacon etc) to ensure my life is not elongated  

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 17 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke