Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mata Hari

So we don't want to talk about Eskom

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

Did you get any rains up in Nam Weda?  We getting a nice shitload down here

We've had 13 mm in Windhoek so far Mata. I understand the north has had much better figures, but the south isn't looking good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

We've had 13 mm in Windhoek so far Mata. I understand the north has had much better figures, but the south isn't looking good.

Strongs.  Must be the photos from the north doing the rounds. We've had about 200mm in one week. Luckily, as I Always tell hubbie, we don't have a town with a river. So the town can flood if there's a cloud burst or a week or month of rain, the river just won't flood us is all. He always laughs cos the tiny river of Harts river goes past our town, but it never has any water in LOL - I must actually go check this Friday or Saturday how it's looking - and he keeps telling me it becomes a bigger river downstream and THAT river flows into the Orange I think etc etc. Although we have a lot of vleilande (swampy grounds Dock) and we were always a water rich area, the Western Transvaal also known for drought. 

I wish more rains your way and to the south

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

We've had 13 mm in Windhoek so far Mata. I understand the north has had much better figures, but the south isn't looking good.

Strongs.  Must be the photos from the north doing the rounds. We've had about 200mm in one week. Luckily, as I Always tell hubbie, we don't have a town with a river. So the town can flood if there's a cloud burst or a week or month of rain, the river just won't flood us is all. He always laughs cos the tiny river of Harts river goes past our town, but it never has any water in LOL - I must actually go check this Friday or Saturday how it's looking - and he keeps telling me it becomes a bigger river downstream and THAT river flows into the Orange I think etc etc. Although we have a lot of vleilande (swampy grounds Dock) and we were always a water rich area, the Western Transvaal also known for drought. 

I wish more rains your way and to the south

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the problem with water scarcity in the south is actually man made.

They've just completed a new dam, Nekartel near Keetmanshoop last year. An Italian company got the tender, but that's another story. Nevertheless they had good rains in some areas last year and decided to open the Hardap dam sluices in Mariental, which basically lies 300 kms upstream in order to transfer water to Nekartel. Long story short, all the water evaporated before it got there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

Thanks Mata. BTW my wife was born in Hartswater, is that in your area?

Less than 300km away

😉

Have family in law living there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

Some of the problem with water scarcity in the south is actually man made.

They've just completed a new dam, Nekartel near Keetmanshoop last year. An Italian company got the tender, but that's another story. Nevertheless they had good rains in some areas last year and decided to open the Hardap dam sluices in Mariental, which basically lies 300 kms upstream in order to transfer water to Nekartel. Long story short, all the water evaporated before it got there.

 

Ja man made, as in unqualified people running the roost. Here we just wait  - all the dams' sluices will be open flooding the downstream towns and in a week we'll be back to big empty dams again. Grrrrrr!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2019 at 4:27 PM, WeDaFaKaWe said:

Thanks Mata. BTW my wife was born in Hartswater, is that in your area?

Hartswater...had the pleasure of passing through there late last year. Beautiful place with fine weather...Boland without the mountains. I can only imagine how it was before the ANC-rot defiled the place...it's time South Africa raids itself of this cancer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DbDraad said:

Beautiful place with fine weather

My vrou is self beeldskoon Draad, dalk is dit iets in die water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, WeDaFaKaWe said:

My vrou is self beeldskoon Draad, dalk is dit iets in die water.

She must be she won Miss Kovsies or something IIRC 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2020 at 7:19 PM, DbDraad said:

Hartswater...had the pleasure of passing through there late last year. Beautiful place with fine weather...Boland without the mountains. I can only imagine how it was before the ANC-rot defiled the place...it's time South Africa raids itself of this cancer.

Gd to see you around DB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is there continual load shedding? Base load power capacity insufficient?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically maintenance has not been performed. In addition the new power stations have never worked properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and power generating green technology is somehow not regarded as a solution by our brilliant politicians.....go figure!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have other views on green technology. The cheapest electricity generator is probably nuclear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 4:16 PM, J1M1 said:

and power generating green technology is somehow not regarded as a solution by our brilliant politicians.....go figure!! 

There is a big uptake of solar panels here (myself included). There is however now a structural problem with the grid hereby there is too many people like me now feeding excess power back into the grid which somehow cannot cope with it. This now requires a costly engineering fix. Both state and federal governments here have heavily subsidized the cost of installing solar panels (I got a rebate of around $AUD4,000 to reduce the cost to $AUD5,250 for 23 panels including micro inverters for each panel) but no one has thought about the long term impact on the grid. You can't make this shit up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 11:02 AM, taipan said:

I have other views on green technology. The cheapest electricity generator is probably nuclear.

Clearly the optimum solution but the luvvies wheel out Three Mile etc as reasons why nuclear is a bad option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 6:45 PM, Mata Hari said:

Gd to see you around DB

I always have an eye on this place.:drinking-red-wine:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2020 at 5:02 AM, taipan said:

I have other views on green technology. The cheapest electricity generator is probably nuclear.

but not necessarily from Russia...........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, J1M1 said:

but not necessarily from Russia...........

To be fair we have come a long way since Soviet era reactors but we are still dealing with planning stupidity like building reactors impervious to every natural phenomena except flooding from the nearby ocean in a known tsunami zone (FFS tsunami is a Japanese word).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure the Russians would have given their best effort in building a Nuke in faraway SA. Cutting corners to economically benefit some poluticians  comes to mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Forum Statistics

    11,664
    Total Topics
    396,062
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    20
    Total Members
    2,160
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...