Sign in to follow this  
WeDaFaKaWe

Great scenes from great movies

1 hour ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

That was some great acting from Pacino. Think I watched the movie three times. 

EDIT: In fact, I just decided I’m gonna watch it again this weekend. 😀

Edited by vlagman

5 hours ago, vlagman said:

That was some great acting from Pacino. Think I watched the movie three times. 

EDIT: In fact, I just decided I’m gonna watch it again this weekend. 😀

Hy skree mooi in die fliek ja.

Docker way way back I remember watching an Aussie movie about Aussie Rules football.

I still remember the theme song:

"Up there and at 'em

In there and fight

Out there to get 'em

Show them your might

There's a lot more things to football than really meet the eye, there are days when you could give it up, there a days when you can cry.

You either love or hate us depending on the score, but when the teams run out or kick a goal, you hear that mighty roar."

cool song.

Here's another lekker sports movie:

Edited by WeDaFaKaWe

Scent of a Woman

Funny thing Vlag back in National Service days I was on a training course at VTH. We had some special instructors from Rhodesia one of which was a female. Anyway long story short, she emphasized the word inteGRITy, and wrote on the board just like that.

I'll never forget it.

Scent of a Woman

Funny thing Vlag back in National Service days I was on a training course at VTH. We had some special instructors from Rhodesia one of which was a female. Anyway long story short, she emphasized the word inteGRITy, and wrote on the board just like that.

I'll never forget it.

The SADF  had a special scheme under which they, the ex Rhodesian Army guys, were signed up. IIRC the suffix for their force numbers was PR, as opposed to PE for the permanent guys and the BC for the national servicemen. 

Some, many or probably most,  of those Rhodies were great soldiers with real grit. They were fighting a hell of a battle with shit coming from all sides and with only SA (under threat itself) backing them. Having said that they also had their fair share of bullshitters. We used to call the bullshitters Whenwes. They used to start all their “bright” ideas with “When we were in Rhodesia.....”.

Ja I remember the Whenwes. I guess we have the same issues, when we were Suidwes.

Not really. Not in the SADF in any case. There was a very close bond between the SA and Suidwes guys. I remember how we used to sing Das Südwesterlied with the Suidwes guys whenever we were together at courses or parades or other venues. 

We always had the traditional course party at the end of every course. At the end of our Military Law Officer’s course we decided to have our party in the form of a formal dinner at the Naval HQ Officers Mess. A formal dinner always starts off as a very formal affair, hence the name but traditionally it ends up in one hell of a revelry. There were quite a few Suidwesters on the course, supplemented by a number of guys from operational units in the border area. Suffice to say it was one hell of a party. 

Edited by vlagman

20 hours ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

Docker way way back I remember watching an Aussie movie about Aussie Rules football.

I still remember the theme song:

"Up there and at 'em

In there and fight

Out there to get 'em

Show them your might

There's a lot more things to football than really meet the eye, there are days when you could give it up, there a days when you can cry.

You either love or hate us depending on the score, but when the teams run out or kick a goal, you hear that mighty roar."

cool song.

Here's another lekker sports movie:

The movie would have been "The Club".  Not a bad show for the time.

The song could have be "Up There Cazaly" which still gets a run at every AFL Grand Final.

Roy Cazaly was a high leaping ruckman in the early 20th century and the crowds used to shout "up there Cazaly" as he would jump for a AFL style mark. Australian soldiers used to yell out "up there Cazaly" as they would jump out of their trenches in WWII which solidified the legend around Cazaly

• Like 1

One of my favourite scenes is in the movie A few good men.

When Tom Cruise totally screws Jack Nicholson in the end.

Other people will like other quotes of that movie, but that was my favourite part

😉

23 hours ago, vlagman said:

Not really. Not in the SADF in any case. There was a very close bond between the SA and Suidwes guys. I remember how we used to sing Das Südwesterlied with the Suidwes guys whenever we were together at courses or parades or other venues. 

We always had the traditional course party at the end of every course. At the end of our Military Law Officer’s course we decided to have our party in the form of a formal dinner at the Naval HQ Officers Mess. A formal dinner always starts off as a very formal affair, hence the name but traditionally it ends up in one hell of a revelry. There were quite a few Suidwesters on the course, supplemented by a number of guys from operational units in the border area. Suffice to say it was one hell of a party. 

It's actually quite something when a foreigner is influenced so much that he writes a song about the place, which is then turned into the 'National Anthem'.

It was special when we were asked to sing in at Infantry School as well.

I understand that is to the same tune as the Panzer Korps lied, according to comments that I've read. It will always remain one of my favorites, along with Die Stem and the SA Song of the Flag.

5 hours ago, WeDaFaKaWe said:

I understand that is to the same tune as the Panzer Korps

I’m not sure if you’re talking about the German Panzer Korps or the SA guys but I know the SA armoured corpse guys (the old SSB - Special Services Battalion) used to sing it probably as often as the SWA guys. I did my officer’s course at the SA Army College and we had three or four of them with us.

Crazy buggers. Whenever we went out after hours it was always the same story. Garlic steaks with extra extra garlic, rum and coke by the gallons and the annexation of the restaurant singing Das Südwesterlied without end. 

Interesting is that the SSB was not always exclusively the armoured corpse. The SSB was started by Danie Craven, when he was in the army. It was meant to be the training centre for PT instructors. The PT setup was eventually broken up into the different arms of service with the Army guys becoming a branch of the SA Army college in VTH where all the dreaded PTIs were trained. The SSB became the corpse training school, 1SSB, for the SA Armoured Corpse. They retained the corpse insignia of the old SSB. 

DSC_0887.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

13 hours ago, vlagman said:

I’m not sure if you’re talking about the German Panzer Korps

Sorry Vlag I forgot to mention it was the German PK. I just picked the info up by reading the comments on YouTube.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 22 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke