Sign in to follow this  
Docker

Doomsday Preppers

2 hours ago, Docker said:

That was sleepy Perth until about 15 years ago. Now they are all open 24/7 but are now convenience stores that also happen to sell petrol. Good luck if you have a mechanical issue like a flat tyre. All self serve and now even let you pay by phone at the pump (phone has to stay in the car)

No self service in SA. Too many jobs would be lost.

53 minutes ago, taipan said:

No self service in SA. Too many jobs would be lost.

Doing it yourself is seriously overrated. No service ethic here at all and getting worse.

Half the supermarket checkouts here now are self service as well - apparently the pilferage is less than the extra wages.

My bank now lets me deposit cheques by phone - just scan them in on the iPhone. I don't get many cheques from clients these days apart from the odd old dear who is terrified by online banking but the banks are  doing all they can to become neo banks as quickly as possible. 

1 hour ago, taipan said:

60 kph in towns and 80 on the open road. And Cafes couldn’t sell toilet paper after 12 on Saturday. TV was non existent and radio heavily censored. Numerous books and LPs were banned. 

But that was a nationalist Afrikaner government and they would never fuck with civil liberties.

Could you buy beer on Sunday?

1 hour ago, taipan said:

60 kph in towns and 80 on the open road. And Cafes couldn’t sell toilet paper after 12 on Saturday. TV was non existent and radio heavily censored. Numerous books and LPs were banned. 

But that was a nationalist Afrikaner government and they would never fuck with civil liberties.

That’s right. Fucking kick me when I’m down. :36_11_6:

Seventy/eighty. It was a kak idea whichever it was.

It’s like Sadiq Kahn wanting to bring the max speed for the entire city of London down to 20mph. The average speed in London is around 10 mph as it is. It’s like pissing in the sea to make it more salty.

Don’t know if you saw his latest shenanigans. He has been stuffing up Transport for London(TfL) for his entire term. It’s been a financial nightmare for the last three years. 

When the CV shit started he stopped the largest part of public transport and he kept on suspending services, with the effect that the services, especially the tube, remained as cramped as they ever were. 

Now they want to get the economy restarted but he refuse to get TfL up to capacity again. Govt then said that people should avoid public transport, where possible, to avoid getting cramped in together. He said that, unless they pay over something like £3Bn in bail out by end of business on that same day, he’s doing fuck all. Govt said : “Nope, you’re not holding us to ransom to bail you out on your shit financial management. You wanted autonomy over and sole responsibility for TfL, you got it. We’ll help out to bridge problems due to the CV but outside of that, and especially prior to the start of the CV, you can fuck off. You’re on your own”. 

The dickhead then immediately, unilaterally and without any consultation, jacked up the congestion charge by 50% to £15 per day. In addition he changed the hours from something like 7am - 8pm on weekdays to 24/7 seven days a week, including public holidays. His next move is to extend the congestion charge from Central London to the entire Greater London area, at some stage. 

Imagine this scenario. An NHS nurse, with her 2001 Fiesta has to work night shift from, let’s say, 10pm to 7am. She will have now suddenly have to pay £15 on the day when her shift starts, plus £12.75 because she is driving an old car. Then she has to pay the same amount to drive him the next day after her shift. That £54.50 per working day. That is £54.50 per day from £0 per day. 

All the while this clown is driven all over the show in a council provided Range Rover, followed by his security detail in a Land Rover. That’s him and his driver and probably co-driver in the Range Rover and  a further four FBI wannabes in the Land River behind. Boris Johnson used to cycle around all over London, even on official business when he was Mayor of London. 

I cannot stand the fucker. Imagine how pissed off I was when I learnt that the train services from Reading Eastwards now also falls under TfL, because “so many people from Reading commute between Reading and London”. I almost vomited in my mouth. Luckily I very seldomly travel to London by train. 

1 hour ago, Docker said:

Could you buy beer on Sunday?

No.  Bottle stores closed at 12 on Saturday. However if you joined a sporting club.....

3 minutes ago, taipan said:

No.  Bottle stores closed at 12 on Saturday. However if you joined a sporting club.....

Actually pubs were open Saturdays but only clubs on Sunday

58 minutes ago, taipan said:

Surely train is the easiest way.

It is, and anybody who has been in London knows that even if you double the charges public transport remains tops, but this was the catch 22. Two meter social distancing is probably possible but not if Sadiq Ka(u)hn(t) cuts the services by up to 80%, making them more overcrowded than before CV. That’s why govt suggested avoiding public transport for now.  

1 hour ago, vlagman said:

It is, and anybody who has been in London knows that even if you double the charges public transport remains tops, but this was the catch 22. Two meter social distancing is probably possible but not if Sadiq Ka(u)hn(t) cuts the services by up to 80%, making them more overcrowded than before CV. That’s why govt suggested avoiding public transport for now.  

Your post read as you rarely used the train before. Or maybe that was just me.

Normally only an idiot uses a car. But the Poms still whine about public transport

14 minutes ago, taipan said:

Your post read as you rarely used the train before. Or maybe that was just me.

Normally only an idiot uses a car. But the Poms still whine about public transport

No. I’m 100% with you. I have only ever been to London by train. The closest I’ve been was to take the car to Osterley station on a weekend and then park there and take the train in from there on a day travel card, hopping on and off the tube and the train. I have never been in central London in a car and I certainly don’t contemplate ever doing so. 

The last time we went to London on a day travel card it was something like 55 quid for the two of us, until I learned the trick of driving to Osterley. About 3 quid for parking for the day and about 12/15 quid for the day travel card.  

You’re one hundred percent correct on the moaning Poms. I was standing at a bus stop one day. Some old hag kept on checking her watch. At one stage she let out a long sigh and said: “It was the same yesterday. It was five minutes late. Will they never get it right?”. Hand on heart. Those were her words. Bear in mind we were on a circle route and the particular stop was on the “second half” of the route. 

I guess that is zone 6 so £12 sounds about right. Trying to relate what I was playing last year. After a set amount it became free.

4 hours ago, Docker said:

Doing it yourself is seriously overrated. No service ethic here at all and getting worse.

Half the supermarket checkouts here now are self service as well - apparently the pilferage is less than the extra wages.

My bank now lets me deposit cheques by phone - just scan them in on the iPhone. I don't get many cheques from clients these days apart from the odd old dear who is terrified by online banking but the banks are  doing all they can to become neo banks as quickly as possible. 

They charge you to deposit cheques here.

2 hours ago, taipan said:

I guess that is zone 6 so £12 sounds about right. Trying to relate what I was playing last year. After a set amount it became free.

Yep that's. You actually pay the amount and then you can travel the whole day as much as you want. The cap that you are talking about is a bit different. 

Osterley is actually outside of zone 6. So you still need a day travel card to cover the overground from Osterley to Paddington. OK now how do I explain this. 

Your day travel card is for one day only, so this was our predicament at one stage. We got a concession for a two night stay in London at a Mercure hotel. We decided to get a Day Travel Card from Reading but then the it only covered the travel on TfL for day one. We don’t have Oyster cards. So, the next day we traveled around London like normal Londoners whiteout Oyster cards.
We just used Apple Pay. You tap on the bus or the tube and off you go. It ads the cost up to the cap of around five quid and stops. Thereafter it registers a ticket but it shows a zero cost on your bank. 

4 hours ago, taipan said:

So about the same cap as the Oyster.

Exactly the same. I just couldn’t remember the exact amount. That’s why I never bothered to get an Oyster Card. The Oyster is pre-loaded, so you have to make sure there is enough on it. With a contactless card or Apple/Android Pay it’s easy as pie. The even have it in Reading now as well. 

Edited by vlagman

9 hours ago, taipan said:

They charge you to deposit cheques here.

Probably fair enough too given the processing cost. Won't be long before the banks put a fork in them.

i'm beginning to like being treated like a 69 year old child............NOT!!

7 hours ago, Docker said:

Probably fair enough too given the processing cost. Won't be long before the banks put a fork in them.

The last cheque I wrote was in 2007 in South Africa. I had to sort out my stay in 2013. I had two choices. Put my bank card details, including security details on the form and send it in or send a cheque off with the documents. I didn’t like either. I wanted the money paid over ASAP without having to wait for them to process it at their convenience. So I went to the bank to get a counter cheque. The money is out of my account immediately and govt could take a year to cash the cheque, for al I cared. 

The cashier wanted to know why I didn’t just write a cheque, given that it was going to cost me £10 for the counter cheque. Said I didn’t mind the tenner and I don’t have a cheque book. She said OK but she’ll order me a cheque book in any case, for future use. I got it and still haven’t used it. Been lying in a desk drawers since 2013. 

7 hours ago, Docker said:

For my sins I am treasurer of my bowls club. One member owed R440 and I didn’t want the cash. So he paid a cheque into the account. The bank nailed him R120 fees. I now accept cash and transfer from my account.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, taipan said:

For my sins I am treasurer of my bowls club. One member owed R440 and I didn’t want the cash. So he paid a cheque into the account. The bank nailed him R120 fees. I now accept cash and transfer from my account.

The banks are the same the world over (bunch of c%#&s). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taipan said:

I’ll tell my wife and son that.

LOL. They are excused unless they are senior management engaged to determine ways to charge excessive fees for little or no service or producrs. The recent Haynes Royal Commission into banking practices here uncovered numerous practices which at best could be described as unethical (if you can't sleep it is 530 pages long). Perhaps the SA banks have less of a profit motive and a better service ethic and as such my generalisation may be unfair.

Thankfully my days of having to be nice to banks are over.

Edited by Docker

They have basically been told their bonuses are shot despite working non stop through  the lockdown. SA banks probably have the highest fees worldwide

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 9:39 AM, Owen Meany said:

Die verbod op drank gaan Donderdag aand opgehef  word. Hulle baklei nog oor die sigarette.

Owen................wat nou????

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TheDuke
    Newest Member
    TheDuke